Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jack Lalanne page 3

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    1974 Jack LaLanne, shackled and manacled, tows a rowboat from Alcatraz across the bay in less than 90 minutes.

Last edited by kitoi; 08-05-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    1974 Jack LaLanne, shackled and manacled, tows a rowboat from Alcatraz across the bay in less than 90 minutes.

That video kind of sums it up in a nutshell!! To think that it was filmed in the 1950's. This man was WAY ahead of his time. He is basically saying to eat a paleo/primal diet.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Great video clip.

I wonder what the standard diet actually was back then. Bet much less bread, pasta and rice, and less variety of sugar products. Was this a nightly show?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Not nightly; early morning. My recollection is that it was Monday through Friday, 6am. (I was a toddler, so I could be wrong.)

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Not nightly; early morning. My recollection is that it was Monday through Friday, 6am. (I was a toddler, so I could be wrong.)
    That sounds right to me too.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Yeah until very shortly before his passing, he was up at 5;30 everyday to workout. He did an hour of weight training and an hour workout in the pool. This was in his 90's!!

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    My favorite Jack LaLanne quote:
    "Everything you do in life, I don’t care, good or bad–don’t blame God, don’t blame the devil, don’t blame me, blame you. You control everything! The thoughts you think, the words you utter, the foods you eat, the exercise you do. Everything is controlled by you."
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    My favorite Jack LaLanne quote:
    "Everything you do in life, I don’t care, good or bad–don’t blame God, don’t blame the devil, don’t blame me, blame you. You control everything! The thoughts you think, the words you utter, the foods you eat, the exercise you do. Everything is controlled by you."
    Like it.

I am printing that one out.

otzi Guest
    This was an awesome thread, thanks to whoever started it. I spent all day yesterday and this morning reading and watching Jack Lalanne videos--he is truly an inspiration. Here's a great interview he did in 2003.

Jack LaLanne Interview on Diet and Nutrition

Best quotes:

"That's what I am saying. You have to take care of your 640 muscles, and the number one thing is exercise. You can eat perfectly but if you don't exercise, you cannot get by. There are so many health food nuts out there that eat nothing but natural foods but they don't exercise and they look terrible. Then there are other people who exercise like a son-of-a-gun but eat a lot of junk. They look pretty good because the exercise is king. Nutrition is queen. Put them together and you've got a kingdom!"

"Share Guide: Many people who go to the gym only go three days a week rather than six or seven. What do you think about this?

Jack LaLanne: Three days is enough if it's vigorous.

Share Guide: I go to the gym in the morning before work, around 7 am.

Jack LaLanne: Do you work with the weights?

Share Guide: Sometimes. I start with 30 minutes on the treadmill or stairmaster.

Jack LaLanne: Twelve to seventeen minutes is plenty on the treadmill--if it's done fast. That's all you need for cardiovascular benefit. You don't need to spend that extra time unless you are over weight and you need to burn off extra calories.

Share Guide: How fast do I need to go on the treadmill?

Jack LaLanne: Do it vigorously, like somebody is chasing you. You've got to do it hard. Otherwise, if you just take it easy and do it longer, you are spending all that time when you don't need it. Use that extra time with your weights instead. Focus on your problem zones, your strength, your energy, your flexibility and all the rest. Maybe your chest is flabby or your hips or waist need toning. Also, you should change your program every thirty days. That's the key."

"Jack LaLanne: I say if you enjoy it, do it. Let me ask this: when you are at the gym, how long do you rest before you do the next exercise?

Share Guide: Generally I do two sets of 10&endash;12 reps with a minute in between.

Jack LaLanne: That's too long. I rest ten seconds between sets.

Share Guide: Two sets per exercise?

Jack LaLanne: That is the very minimum. I do 20 sets for deltoids, 20 sets for pecs, and 20 sets for lats. It's important to change things around. Maybe for 30 days I might do ten reps with high weight, but the tenth rep should be to failure."

"Share Guide: Why did you stop being a strict vegetarian?

Jack LaLanne: In those days everybody was saying that you had to eat meat to build muscle, so I went on a meat thing for awhile. NowI only eat fish--no chicken, no turkey, just fish. I get all my protein from fish and egg whites.

Share Guide: That is what my favorite healing authority says, Dr. Andrew Weil. He believes in eating fish and dairy on top of the vegetarian diet--the vegaquarian diet.

Jack LaLanne: I use no milk of any kind. Anything that comes from a cow I don't eat.

Share Guide: You aren't eating nonfat yogurt with your fruit anymore?

Jack LaLanne: I may take one bite. Or a little skim milk once in a while is not going to hurt you. It isn't what you do once in a while that's a problem; it's what you do all the time. Look at the average American diet: ice cream, butter, cheese, whole milk, all this fat. People don't realize how much of this stuff you get by the end of the day. High blood pressure is from all this high-fat eating. Do you know how many calories are in butter and cheese and ice cream? Would you get your dog up in the morning for a cup of coffee and a donut? Probably millions of Americans got up this morning with a cup of coffee, a cigarette and a donut. No wonder they are sick and fouled up."

"Jack LaLanne: It's a bunch of bull. How do you know what's really organic? Today, there's all these impurities in the water and the air. The water for the fruits and vegetables has junk in it. If you get enough vitamins and minerals out of normal food and whole grains, and you get enough proteins and exercise (that's the key) then nature builds up a tolerance to all of these things. It's survival of the fittest. You can't have everything perfect, that's impossible, but the fit survive. The fit can handle the impurities in the air and in the water, but the poor people who are sick, it really affects them more."

"Jack LaLanne: That's right, don't kid yourself. You have a mirror, right? And you know what you can do. One thing that you have to remember is SCALES LIE! The biggest liars we have are the scales. I always ask in my lectures, "What did you weigh when you were 20 years old?" Someone will say, "Oh, I weighed 170 lbs." But then they played football and basketball, and were in good shape. Now they guy is 50 years old and he says, " Jack, I haven't gained a pound! I weigh 170 just like I did when I was 20!" I'll say "Really, that's wonderful! How big was your waist when you were 20?" "Oh, 30 inches" "How big is it today?" "Oh, 36." The sands of time have shifted. The guy put five or six inches on his waist. You figure about every inch is five pounds approximately. That guy has gained about 30 pounds of fat and lost 30 pounds of muscle and the scale says he weighs the same.

Share Guide: So it's what you are made of not how much you weigh.

Jack LaLanne: Yes. What you need to do is get that tape measure out, and start measuring that gut. Then you start working out and you start eating properly till that gut gets down close to it was when you were in your 20's. Then you'll find out what your weight should be.

Share Guide: Sounds like a lot of sit-ups to me!

Jack LaLanne: It's not sit-ups, it's everything! In fact, if you've got a big gut and you start doing sit-ups, you are going to get bigger because you build up the muscle. You've got to get rid of that fat! How do you get rid of fat? By changing your diet. You can't get rid of it with exercise alone. You can do the most vigorous exercise and only burn up 300 calories in an hour. If you've got fat on your body, the exercise firms and tones the muscles. But when you use that tape measure, what makes it bigger? It's the fat! A two or three inch layer of fat. The only way you get that fat off is to eat less and exercise more.

Share Guide: Is that is what you mean by saying "your waistline is your lifeline?"

Jack LaLanne: Yes. Getting out of shape is like a thief in the night that sneaks up on you. I always tell people that it is never too late. I tell them about the folks in their 90's that doubled their strength and endurance. In the old days the doctors would say: "Slow down Jack, you're going to have a heart attack; you won't be able to get an erection; you'll make the women look like men." They thought that athletes that worked out with my system wouldn't be able to throw a ball because they'd be too muscle bound. Those are the misconceptions I had to go through for about 40 years. Now the medical profession is saying something different. Every one of the doctors without exception is saying, "Build muscle." Things really changed after I went on television and got the message out. That's when I starting reaching millions of people. In fact, I just made The Guinness Book of World Records for being on television 34 years non-stop (20 years in Europe)."

"Jack LaLanne: You have to be pretty stupid to think there isn't a Supreme Being to put all this together. Do you think that man could ever make a heart that is indestructible? Do you think that man could make a calculator like your brain? Do you think that man could ever make a machine that the only way you could hurt it is don't use it? Could man make a machine that in every 90 days practically every cell changes? Think about this. Look at all the creatures, the snakes, the worms and the birds, and the entire universe and everything that goes on. Don't you think there is a universal power, that there is some Supreme Being that put this all together? You don't have to call it God or Jesus. That's religious humbug to a lot of people, but you've gotta believe that nature and spiritual things surround us. That is what put us here! I thank the universe for that every day of my life. We don't know all the answers. If we knew all the answers we'd be bored, wouldn't we? We keep looking, searching, trying to get more knowledge. I'm just trying to help people with my lectures. I say, "You are out on the sea and drowning yourselves. Here is a life preserver. Grab it. I can save your life. Help yourself!"

otzi Guest

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123