Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for program to add bulk/mass quickly page

Mama_Jane is offline Junior Member

Looking for program to add bulk/mass quickly

Primal Fuel
    Hello- I've been Primal/Paleo since January 2012. This question is for my hubby. My husband eats what I make but still eats cereal and bread (sprouted but still grains- arghh!!). I've lost weight (almost 30 lbs!! and still going) and am dedicated to an intensive workout program 2X/Week with serious results (Mark's right!!).
    My hubby's a classic sugar burner who turns into a monster when he doesn't eat every 2-3 hours. He stares at me in disbelief when I'm not hungry at breakfast (or at dinner some nights)...

He's a very lean and wiry and needs to put on about 15 to 20 lbs for work. He eats so much already I almost don't think its possible. He can run fast and do pull ups even when he hasn't worked out for months, but has bad knees.

Would sending him to the crossfit gym 3x a week help him? Does anyone have a fitness and nutrition program to quickly add mass eating this way?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Put him on starting strength or scrawny to brawny or something similar and feed him until he can't take anymore. Then feed him some more. Adding muscle is a bitch, especially for naturally skinny guys. 15 to 20lbs for an ectomorph will take years.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Eleshar is offline Junior Member
    I'm in the same boat as your husband, except I struggle with pullups.

Maybe investigate the calorie count of the recommended primal foods? Opt for the ones that are more calorie dense and focus on those when it comes to meal preparation; especially if your husband likes them. Most people on this forum would probably say eat more bacon!

Looking forward to see what the others recommend.

gorski is offline Member
    He needs to do High Intensity Resistance Training for bulk and strength, sets to failure, to achieve muscle growth he has to try to lift to reach failure at around 8-12 reps, the higher on that scale the better, if lift is over 12 he will need to up the weight. He can either read this free book from here musclehack.com or, do the big 5 workout from here http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/ (the book is a good read.) body by science suggests one set to failure per exercise, I suggest 3 sets and lowering the weight each set to make sure you hit the muscle properly a lot of people do not do this properly as it is so intensive hiting it 3 sets makes sure you get the results and quickly!

In regards to bulking he should stay paleo but as he still eats carbs this book will be excelent for him, its a bit expensive but scientifically backed: Carb Back-Loading: Manual for Total Body Fat Control this book is written by the guy from this website, has a forum etc: Dangerously Hardcore -Dangerously Hardcore

Written in haste as Ive gotta run but ill be happy to answer questions!

gorski is offline Member
    Double Post

gorski is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorski View Post
    He needs to do High Intensity Resistance Training for bulk and strength, sets to failure, to achieve muscle growth he has to try to lift to reach failure at around 8-12 reps, the higher on that scale the better, if lift is over 12 he will need to up the weight. He can either read this free book from here musclehack.com or, do the big 5 workout from here http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/ (the book is a good read.) body by science suggests one set to failure per exercise, I suggest 3 sets and lowering the weight each set to make sure you hit the muscle properly a lot of people do not do this properly as it is so intensive hiting it 3 sets makes sure you get the results and quickly!

In regards to bulking he should stay paleo but as he still eats carbs this book will be excelent for him, its a bit expensive but scientifically backed: Carb Back-Loading: Manual for Total Body Fat Control this book is written by the guy from this website, has a forum etc: Dangerously Hardcore -Dangerously Hardcore

Written in haste as Ive gotta run but ill be happy to answer questions!
    Carb Back loading says avoid food for first 2 hours after waking, except for fat, eat paleo 0 carb or as low as possible until after workout (round 5pm), then hit it up with high GI foods after workout includes pizza, break, rice (no complex carbs, you have to create an insulin spike to get absorbed by your muscles, so you dont want carbs lingering in the body for more than necesarry or theyll get sotored by fat) book explains everything with lots of references!

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    Crossfit, Starting Strength & Strong Lifts are all good options.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    If he's got bad knees, Crossfit might not be a good idea. Starting Strength would be a better choice.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Yes Crossfit and bad knees is a bad combo!! He needs to do very controlled resistance training whereby there is no jerking or momentum etc. Super Slow or Body By Science are two such protocols. They are geared towards not getting injured and avoiding chronic overuse damage as the workouts are brief and infrequent allowing adequate time for full recovery and muscular growth. To be sure, these workouts are brutal but they are very short in duration.

Ectomorphs have a very hard time adding much in the way of muscle. Some simply can't add any at all no matter what they do but most people can add some. 20 lbs may well be an unrealistic goal for someone with such a body type but you'll never know until you try.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Boise Experiment: Ultimate Body Transformation

Amazing results for these guys. I did this workout last year and gained tons of strength while losing weight. That is not easy to do. Body By Science is also a very good read and I am currently doing the big 5 with a low back exercise thrown in.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast