Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for program to add bulk/mass quickly page 3

sandstone is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama_Jane View Post
    Hello- I've been Primal/Paleo since January 2012. This question is for my hubby. My husband eats what I make but still eats cereal and bread (sprouted but still grains- arghh!!). I've lost weight (almost 30 lbs!! and still going) and am dedicated to an intensive workout program 2X/Week with serious results (Mark's right!!).
    My hubby's a classic sugar burner who turns into a monster when he doesn't eat every 2-3 hours. He stares at me in disbelief when I'm not hungry at breakfast (or at dinner some nights)...

He's a very lean and wiry and needs to put on about 15 to 20 lbs for work. He eats so much already I almost don't think its possible. He can run fast and do pull ups even when he hasn't worked out for months, but has bad knees.

Would sending him to the crossfit gym 3x a week help him? Does anyone have a fitness and nutrition program to quickly add mass eating this way?
    Before you go building this guy up too much I'd be looking at his knee problems, the last thing he wants is to be carrying around another 10 kg all day. PBF is meant to be a health and longevity method, not a body building forum.

If his knees are gone where are the sprints and play??

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    CrossFit Football | Strength & Conditioning for the Power Athlete

Bad knee is a bad excuse. He either wants to be dangerous or not. The minute a man is no longer a threat to other men what is he? Old,infirm, prison bitch? No one ever died saying "I wish I wasn't so big strong and capable of defending myself and loved ones"

Weak groks didn't live long. Gaining size and strength is not easy, it takes a huge commitment and he would need to make the decision to get bigger and stronger of his own deliberation. It is not impossible nor unhealthy. Just a big commitment for food rest and hard work. If he indeed needs is underweight and under strong for his job he needs to do what it takes to provide.
    Last edited by bryanccfshr; 08-04-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanccfshr View Post
    CrossFit Football | Strength & Conditioning for the Power Athlete

Bad knee is a bad excuse. He either wants to be dangerous or not. The minute a man is no longer a threat to other men what is he? Old,infirm, prison bitch? No one ever died saying "I wish I wasn't so big strong and capable of defending myself and loved ones"

Weak groks didn't live long. Gaining size and strength is not easy, it takes a huge commitment and he would need to make the decision to get bigger and stronger of his own deliberation. It is not impossible nor unhealthy. Just a big commitment for food rest and hard work. If he indeed needs is underweight and under strong for his job he needs to do what it takes to provide.

It's stupid macho crap like this that causes so many injuries. There are safe ways to get big and strong when you have a bad knee or other problems. there are so many 50 something people out there that are now realizing that all of that "explosive" exercise they did in their 20's really did have consequences.

If he has knee problems he needs to find a gym with a quality leg press machine(Nautilus, Medex). He can then do heavy leg work without all of the stress on his knees.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    It's stupid macho crap like this that causes so many injuries. There are safe ways to get big and strong when you have a bad knee or other problems. there are so many 50 something people out there that are now realizing that all of that "explosive" exercise they did in their 20's really did have consequences.

If he has knee problems he needs to find a gym with a quality leg press machine(Nautilus, Medex). He can then do heavy leg work without all of the stress on his knees.
    Although your intentions are good switching to machines like the leg press will exponentially increase the stress on the lower back.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Getting strong will most likely greatly improve his knee condition over the long run. My knees are drastically healthier after a year or more of regular deep squatting. Just do Starting Strength, don't do cardio, and feed him till he bursts then serve him up a cheesecake milkshake.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Getting strong will most likely greatly improve his knee condition over the long run. My knees are drastically healthier after a year or more of regular deep squatting. Just do Starting Strength, don't do cardio, and feed him till he bursts then serve him up a cheesecake milkshake.
    All this. All of it.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    It's true that our joints tend to get stronger and healthier when more muscle tissue is added to support them. However, it's entirely possible to get stronger without adding an ounce of lean body mass by improving the central nervous system - and that's usually not a good thing if you have bad knees.

My advise to OP's husband is to use a slightly higher repetition scheme for leg training. Personally I can get away with 3x10 squats without aggravating my knees, but not 5x5. Deadlifts and squats are in if they don't cause any knee pain, but plyometric leg training is definitely out.

At least that's how I work around my own knee issues.

Mama_Jane is offline Junior Member
    Thank you again for all of your replies.

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    I can't stress enough how well Dan John's "Mass Made Simple" program works (link). It sounds too good to be true, but I put on 14 lb in 30 days, all in the right place. It's a 6 week program, but I had to stop early for unforseen reasons. If he's not used to squatting, have him do the intro program that comes along with it. The diet advice in the book isn't exactly primal, but just feed him mountains of primal food instead. That approach worked for me.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You have to lift the heavies, playa!

Play on playa.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast