Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for program to add bulk/mass quickly page 2

Mama_Jane is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Thank you for the replies. So from a quick read I gather:

The Big 5 are - squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and chin-ups? 1 set 8-12 reps to failure (or 3 sets?)

He needs to eat tons (primal/paleo and high fat) and preferably higher carb (Gorski- pizza what??)post work out?

How many times to lift a week? Any cardio at all?

Thanks again-

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorski View Post
    He needs to do High Intensity Resistance Training for bulk and strength, sets to failure, to achieve muscle growth he has to try to lift to reach failure at around 8-12 reps, the higher on that scale the better, if lift is over 12 he will need to up the weight. He can either read this free book from here musclehack.com or, do the big 5 workout from here http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/ (the book is a good read.) body by science suggests one set to failure per exercise, I suggest 3 sets and lowering the weight each set to make sure you hit the muscle properly a lot of people do not do this properly as it is so intensive hiting it 3 sets makes sure you get the results and quickly!

In regards to bulking he should stay paleo but as he still eats carbs this book will be excelent for him, its a bit expensive but scientifically backed: Carb Back-Loading: Manual for Total Body Fat Control this book is written by the guy from this website, has a forum etc: Dangerously Hardcore -Dangerously Hardcore

Written in haste as Ive gotta run but ill be happy to answer questions!
    If all he cares about is putting on superficial muscle, this might work...but this is pretty much just another example of the crap they put out in the "Muscle and Fiction" mags. Starting Strength or Stronglifts, HARD work, and consistency are the real keys to muscle gain.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama_Jane View Post
    Thank you for the replies. So from a quick read I gather:

The Big 5 are - squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and chin-ups? 1 set 8-12 reps to failure (or 3 sets?)

He needs to eat tons (primal/paleo and high fat) and preferably higher carb (Gorski- pizza what??)post work out?

How many times to lift a week? Any cardio at all?

Thanks again-
    Training to failure doesn't always work unless you have the minerals to go to true failure each time...which is extremely uncomfortable to say the least. They often call these death sets. It would be better to do the Big 5 for 5 sets of 5 reps with the heaviest weight possible, coming close to failure by the end of the set. Look at Starting Strength.

Cardio-wise, as is the standard recommendation here, sprinting is the best option. It actually stimulates growth hormone production.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

I would keep the routine as basic as possible, and just use a few compound movements, with progression in terms of weight used as the primary goal. You will hear people argue until the cows come home about ideal rep number and number of sets etc.

The bottom line is that as long as he doesn't overtrain, which he won't if he can add weight to the bar each week, then he will gain weight and muscle on many different programs. But simple is always best. 3-5 exercises for reps betwen 5 and 12 (his choice) done for 3-5 sets 2 or 3 times a week.

BUT, it all comes down to eating enough if he is a real hardgainer which it sounds like he is. Best advice is for him to eat as much as he possibly can, with high carbs, including junk food, after training. And add in some blended drinks of full fat milk with added mik powder, bananas, eggs and anything else he can force down.

And keep at it for a year!

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Three words- squats and milk.

Old-school mass gain program that will make you strong and stands the test of time.

20 rep squats, 3x/wk
    Add a couple (two) of assistance lifts, ideally a press and a pull each workout.
    GOMAD

Stop running.

Get 8-9 hours of sleep a night.

He will get big.

Or die. They don't call them widowmakers for nothing. He should be sure to do these in a power cage, as he will go down in the hole at some point and not be able to come back up.

Good primer here:
    Bodybuilding.com - 20-Rep Squats: The Brutal Path To Massive Gains!

I don't know if there is a better way to gain mass without use of anabolic drugs...

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    Training to failure doesn't always work unless you have the minerals to go to true failure each time...which is extremely uncomfortable to say the least. They often call these death sets. It would be better to do the Big 5 for 5 sets of 5 reps with the heaviest weight possible, coming close to failure by the end of the set. Look at Starting Strength.

Cardio-wise, as is the standard recommendation here, sprinting is the best option. It actually stimulates growth hormone production.
    +1. The only thing I would comment on is if your husband is looking for size vs strength I would suggest a weight the he can move 8-10 times max per set X 3 - 4 sets. If strength is the goal heavy heavy weight low reps and long rests between sets. Stay away from crossfit. It tends to be more circuit based which isn't the best protocol for either maximum strength or size gains

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lean Ape Dave View Post
    I would keep the routine as basic as possible, and just use a few compound movements, with progression in terms of weight used as the primary goal. You will hear people argue until the cows come home about ideal rep number and number of sets etc.

The bottom line is that as long as he doesn't overtrain, which he won't if he can add weight to the bar each week, then he will gain weight and muscle on many different programs. But simple is always best. 3-5 exercises for reps betwen 5 and 12 (his choice) done for 3-5 sets 2 or 3 times a week.

BUT, it all comes down to eating enough if he is a real hardgainer which it sounds like he is. Best advice is for him to eat as much as he possibly can, with high carbs, including junk food, after training. And add in some blended drinks of full fat milk with added mik powder, bananas, eggs and anything else he can force dow

And keep at it for a year!
    And this. I would also suggest that he start looking at some supplements. Carnitine and glutamine are a couple good ones to look into.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Tren...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    No on the cardio! An ecto trying to put on muscle does not need to be running or anything like that. It will only make it all but impossible.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Starting strength and gomad. Get him the book
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast