Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsession with Fat... page

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member

Obsession with Fat...

Primal Fuel
    Is it me or does it seem like a lot of people are obsessed with eating fat on these boards? They wear it like badge of honor. "I ate 13 strips of bacon, a stick of kerrygold and 3 tablespoons of coconut oil for breakfast". Do people really think this was the main point of Mark's message? People always have to take everything to the extreme rather than using common sense? A pat of butter on your steamed vegetables, cool. Eating shit tons of fat? eh, probably not the best idea.

Honestly, protein is where it's at. Eat shit tons of protein...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Darz is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking exactly that the other day - people, when faced with a diet that promotes fat intake, will avoid carbs like the black plague and gorge on fats as if there were no tomorrow; I mean, fats are essential and one should not avoid them but to almost turn oneself into an Inuit is a bit too radical.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Actually, high protein diets tend to correlate with shorter overall longevity.

I agree with you in a sense, especially when people brag about eating bacon. Unless it's done correctly and from a pig raised the right way, it's industrial food at nearly it's worst.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    one time, i made a pound of ground beef cooked in coconut oil, and then enjoyed it with some slices of butter on top. but it was grass fed butter and coconut oil, so i knew i was extra healthy that day. i would've added some onions or garlic, but the insulin response could've made me gain a lot of fat.

peril is offline Senior Member
    This conversation will breakdown very quickly along standard lines. My view is that people talk a lot of shit and the reality is that few are eating excessive amounts of fat if they are eating a whole foods diet. It just becomes hard to ingest all those calories. On the other hand, protein intake is very important. Too much and it becomes a stressor as a lot of studies have shown. Too little and the body starves - it will catabolise muscle and weightloss will stop.

Of course, if you are managing to ingest large portions of fat without countervailing exercise you will put on weight
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

June68 is offline Senior Member
    {snicker}

jakey I like your style.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    butter is not a food group.

when people are having 400-500 cals of bullet-proof coffee for "breakfast", what happens the rest of the day? is everything else super-nutrient dense all day to make up for the fat-bomb in the beginning? just like liver, eggs, wild salmon and kale?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I want my badge to have ribbons!

I think it is a reaction to having zero-fat days be the standard badge of honor in our society. When you suddenly discover that fat is not evil, it is easy to go in the other direction.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Woohoo... Hyperbole thread!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Woohoo... Hyperbole thread!
    lol

Here's how it's going to shake out: every correct weight, healthy, young male who was attracted to paleo and primal because of some freakin' caveman fantasy, will say of course grok would have squeezed lard into his Starbucks. (There may be a couple of females also, but they generally won't post page-long diatribes because it's just their experience and that doesn't make it right for the whole world). Also that bacon is to primal because a long time ago, an anthropologist found a statue of grok holding a pound of bacon in his hand.

Almost everyone else will say that squeezing lard into their coffee generally seems off-putting and counterintuitive. They will of course bristle when the rogue males of the tribe try to berate, ridicule, and use every non-violent way to get these people to believe them. They most likely would use clubs or maybe grok would have used a keyboard; I forget which.

Anyone who really wanted some information will maybe get sucked into said discourse once or twice and then avoid the thread like the plague.

rinse.... repeat.....

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast