Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Obsession with Fat... page 7

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I still haven't seen a single post here explaining why a high fat diet is bad. Everyone clearly has an opinion about what everyone else should be eating, but no one says why.

Anyone?
    A high fat diet is bad because of the hedonic pleasure of eating fat. Our puritan heritage dictates you should suffer. And losing weight should be difficult and not pleasurable.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A high fat diet is bad because of the hedonic pleasure of eating fat. Our puritan heritage dictates you should suffer. And losing weight should be difficult and not pleasurable.
    +1

jammies is offline Senior Member
    +2
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    +3
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Fat is fine.

Mark shows an example of how he eats here: Low Carb Sample Menu | Mark's Daily Apple

His intake of fat is about 55% of his total calories and his total calories are 2538. He's in his late fifties, already at a good weight, and healthily active.

While I don't eat added fats (oil, butter, etc.), and I eat lean cuts of meat (generally, with salmon being about my fattiest protein source) I've tracked my personal eating plan, and I easily get 40-55% of my calories from fat. I do eat an avocado almost every day, so that definitely helps. I eat about half the calories Mark does, but I'm female, currently trying to cut weight, and not healthily active.

So, yes fat is good. In context. Gender, physical ability, physical activity, age, whether trying to gain or lose or maintain weight, body composition are all factors.

And just as an aside, a tablespoon of Kerrygold butter has 11 gm fat, 0 protein, and 0 carbs. It has 10% of the vitamin A you need based on a 2000 cal/day diet. I'd really rather get my fats from good old nutritive food. But if I wanted if I wanted to gain weight, I guess a big old slab of that on something would be fine.

Info on the butter from here: Calories in Kerrygold - Butter, Pure Irish | Nutrition Facts and Information

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    A shitload of proteins ?
    Be there, done that, it's not a good idea.
    Fat is your new fuel, period.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

ToldUzo is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleomom4 View Post
    When I was in college (a long time ago) I worked for a woman whose mom used to freeze sticks of butter and give them to her and her siblings for snacks in the summer. She was a very petite and healthy woman. Once in a while I wonder if my kids would like that snack. I always talk myself out of it
    I tried it when i had nothing else to eat once Has a hard consistence so you can nibble on it. I actually liked it... but I would prefer a creamy icecream in the summer hehe.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567