Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Obsession with Fat... page 6

Sceptic is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Also true! Another vote for protein, here! One pound a day, I've discovered, is baseline maintenance for me. But it would be cooked in tallow and then I'd drink it after cooking my veggies in it. Maybe I would eat less fat if I ate the full two pounds of meat, but then where's my vitamin K2?
    Your vitamin K2 should, ideally, be produced in your body from K1. Are you eating enough leafy greens? (I recommend a pork chop salad. Take one pile of leafy greens, add one pork chop.)

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    This forum used to be waaaay more fat-philic (and carb-phobic), at least from what I've seen. The answer to every problem used to be "eat more fat". I even bought into it for a while. Now the answer seems to be "eat more carbs".

I give +1 to nixxy for "moderation in everything".

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I still haven't seen a single post here explaining why a high fat diet is bad. Everyone clearly has an opinion about what everyone else should be eating, but no one says why.

Anyone?
    I'm wondering the same thing myself. About all I've gleaned is that Some People are annoyed that Other People eat fat and rejoice in the fact occasionally.

I might add that I'm annoyed in my own turn by the continual breezy recommendations for "moderation in everything," as though it were all Just That Simple. Moderation is precisely what I was incapable of achieving on a carb-heavy SAD, and it's why I turned to LCHF in the first place.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
    Your vitamin K2 should, ideally, be produced in your body from K1. Are you eating enough leafy greens? (I recommend a pork chop salad. Take one pile of leafy greens, add one pork chop.)
    LOL....Bwahahahahahah.....but no, seriously humans do need preformed K2 for health. K1 does diddly for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    LOL....Bwahahahahahah.....but no, seriously humans do need preformed K2 for health. K1 does diddly for this.
    K1 gets converted to K2-mk4 by the body (and to K2-mk7 by bacteria in the gut). That said, I'm supplementing K2-mk4, but ideally enough should be made in the body from the copious amounts of K1 we're getting from all the leafy greens we're eating.

(Has anyone seen that ideal world? I seem to have misplaced it...)

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    "Today I ate a stick of butter with 2 lettuce leaves, 1kg of belly pork, a coconut flour sponge cake and some flax pancakes. Why am I not losing weight, I thought paleo was a miracle cure?!

Oxboy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I agree, I don't see the posts he is referring to. Most are pretty reasonable in their fat intake, I would guess.
    What I actually eat - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    "Today I ate a stick of butter with 2 lettuce leaves, 1kg of belly pork, a coconut flour sponge cake and some flax pancakes. Why am I not losing weight, I thought paleo was a miracle cure?!
    "Two lettuce leaves?!? Are you trying to kill yourself?!?!?"

Paleomom4 is offline Junior Member
    When I was in college (a long time ago) I worked for a woman whose mom used to freeze sticks of butter and give them to her and her siblings for snacks in the summer. She was a very petite and healthy woman. Once in a while I wonder if my kids would like that snack. I always talk myself out of it

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
    K1 gets converted to K2-mk4 by the body (and to K2-mk7 by bacteria in the gut). That said, I'm supplementing K2-mk4, but ideally enough should be made in the body from the copious amounts of K1 we're getting from all the leafy greens we're eating.

(Has anyone seen that ideal world? I seem to have misplaced it...)
    Well "some" K1 gets converted to K2 like 10:1 from what I have read.

And I did run into this "It was once erroneously believed that intestinal bacteria are a major contributor to vitamin K status. However, the majority of evidence contradicts this view. Most of the vitamin K2 produced in the intestine are embedded within bacterial membranes and not available for absorption. Thus, intestinal production of K2 likely makes only a small contribution to vitamin K status. (Unden & Bongaerts, 1997, pp. 217-234)" from Kresser.

And there are various studies that show ingestion of K2 to be beneficial where K1 ingestion is not. I'm not trying to open up an argument or anything, but I really do think that the majority of evidence points to K2 in its preformed state as being the ideal. And you do supplement with it so your getting it done. I personally eat a lot of home made sauerkraut and all the other usual suspects for my K2 (cheese, butter, egg yolk, kidney).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast