Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Obsession with Fat... page 5

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have to get my calories from somewhere (I do a lot of athletic shit) and I am not about to eat 800g of protein a day to do that. I don't recommend bacon either, just supplement with grassfed butter and coconut oil.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I feel bad if I eat too much protein. I mean, there's a limit to it. There doesn't seem to be a limit to fat really, other than natural appetite limits. Not that I shovel in tons of it or anything, but eating more than you need simply results in fat storage, while eating more protein than you need appears to result in a truly awful feeling of illness for me.

Adding a little more fat to my food results for me in helpful satiety, at least if I find that I'm having a hard time attaining it.

A friend of mine is on a different program than Primal. He was instructed to cut flour and sugar from his diet and that all meals must include a quarter cup of olive oil or the equivalent of some other fat. I guess that is supposed to help regulate the appetite in food-addicted and the other eating disordered people in that program. He says it really helped him immensely. Remembering what he told me, I've been experimenting the last couple of days with adding more fat to my food since I've been feeling an outsized appetite. It has helped calm my hunger a lot.

I think some of us maybe just need more fat than others. There are a lot of fat bashers on this site, the pro-fruit/pro-potato brigade being the major ones.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Oh, yuck. I feel SO hungry and nervous when I eat too much fruit or sweet potato. Some, yes. Once in a while I'll gorge on a fatty mountain of sweet potatoes, sure. But if I eat them regularly, I start to need them regularly and then I start putting on body fat.

I think this brings us back around to ancestry. My predecessors, on the whole, lived in either plains or forests (native American, European) and subsisted (from what little I know) on large game animals and plants. When I eat those, or approximate them on the whole, I feel best.

If my ancestors came from the tropics, I'd probably feel better eating copious amounts of fruit and tubers.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 08-03-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I feel bad if I eat too much protein. I mean, there's a limit to it. There doesn't seem to be a limit to fat really, other than natural appetite limits. Not that I shovel in tons of it or anything, but eating more than you need simply results in fat storage, while eating more protein than you need appears to result in a truly awful feeling of illness for me.

Adding a little more fat to my food results for me in helpful satiety, at least if I find that I'm having a hard time attaining it.

A friend of mine is on a different program than Primal. He was instructed to cut flour and sugar from his diet and that all meals must include a quarter cup of olive oil or the equivalent of some other fat. I guess that is supposed to help regulate the appetite in food-addicted and the other eating disordered people in that program. He says it really helped him immensely. Remembering what he told me, I've been experimenting the last couple of days with adding more fat to my food since I've been feeling an outsized appetite. It has helped calm my hunger a lot.

I think some of us maybe just need more fat than others. There are a lot of fat bashers on this site, the pro-fruit/pro-potato brigade being the major ones.
    I agree with this - I eat quite a bit of fat . . . and fruit for that matter. I have at least 2-3 servings of fruit/day. Just finished a cup of grapes rolled in melted coconut oil and then refrigerated. But I seem to need extra fat to curb hunger. So I'm one of those people cooking with tallow and butter, and eating coconut oil. But I don't gain weight eating that way, so it works for me.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I have completely stopped worrying about what my macronutrient breakdown is on any given day.

I shoot for eating a variety of fruits and vegetables, plenty of animal foods like eggs, yogurt, meat/fish, cheese, etc., and plenty of starchy stuff like white rice and sweet potato and (shock!) sourdough bread and (horror!) pasta because it's yummy and makes me feel good. I put butter on things to make them taste good and I don't even think about how much of what I'm eating, I just eat. And when I'm in the mood I drink a beer or have a bowl of ice cream with frozen fruit (usually after a workout because that's when it tastes the best), and I don't worry about it.

Lo and behold, I am no less healthy than when I was obsessively tracking my macronutrients and eating almost nothing but grass-fed meat, liver, eggs, vegetables and sweet potatoes. Probably because I'm much more relaxed and having a lot more fun.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure working in a sunless, climate-controlled box for 40+ hours each week is WAY worse for my health than rigatoni parmigiana.

EDIT: I do try and cook most of my own food and I don't use seed oils in my cooking, preferring butter and coconut oil. But I don't sweat it when I go to a bar with my friends and order fish and chips or something, even though it's probably fried in rancid canola oil or something nasty.

Speaking of fried, I had a couple of delicious beer-battered dogfish shark tacos last night. We tried out this gourmet taco place down the street for my wife's birthday. Yum.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 08-03-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

I have completely stopped worrying about what my macronutrient breakdown is on any given day.

I shoot for eating a variety of fruits and vegetables, plenty of animal foods like eggs, yogurt, meat/fish, cheese, etc., and plenty of starchy stuff like white rice and sweet potato and (shock!) sourdough bread and (horror!) pasta because it's yummy and makes me feel good. I put butter on things to make them taste good and I don't even think about how much of what I'm eating, I just eat. And when I'm in the mood I drink a beer or have a bowl of ice cream with frozen fruit (usually after a workout because that's when it tastes the best), and I don't worry about it.

Lo and behold, I am no less healthy than when I was obsessively tracking my macronutrients and eating almost nothing but grass-fed meat, liver, eggs, vegetables and sweet potatoes. Probably because I'm much more relaxed and having a lot more fun.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure working in a sunless, climate-controlled box for 40+ hours each week is WAY worse for my health than rigatoni parmigiana.

EDIT: I do try and cook most of my own food and I don't use seed oils in my cooking, preferring butter and coconut oil. But I don't sweat it when I go to a bar with my friends and order fish and chips or something, even though it's probably fried in rancid canola oil or something nasty.

Speaking of fried, I had a couple of delicious beer-battered dogfish shark tacos last night. We tried out this gourmet taco place down the street for my wife's birthday. Yum.
    *WOOOoooo - WOOOoooo*
    License and registration please. Wait here just one minute.

Yeah, you were making some sense there, going to have to cite you this time.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 08-03-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    *WOOOoooo - WOOOoooo*
    License and registration please. Wait here just one minute.

Yeah, you were making some sense there, going to have to cite you this time.
    Was that aimed at me? LOL.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Yeah. I'll add your quote so it makes more sense...

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I still haven't seen a single post here explaining why a high fat diet is bad. Everyone clearly has an opinion about what everyone else should be eating, but no one says why.

Anyone?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

That's because the only possibly bad thing about a high-fat diet is displacement of other nutrients. And that's so easy to overcome that it's barely worth noting.

And eating fat from CAFO animals is like sticking your face on the exhaust pipe of a trash incinerator.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast