Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsession with Fat... page 4

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There is a medium between eating half an apple and binging on pounds of fruit. 2 or 3 pieces a day is not unhealthy.

It's really OK to enjoy food.
    That's exactly what i am trying to say. But there are people who find it difficult to walk that middle line, and avoidance may be less painful and psychologically hard than complete restriction. Out of sight, out of mind. It's also easier to avoid damaging food (and I emphasize, damaging to YOU, personally, the rest of the world can be great with it!) if you demonize it or make it unappealing.

And I imagine if you deny yourself sweet (fruit) that over time.... you may have an overreaction.
    Not necessary. Not having to not wanting does happen.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-03-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

stumprrp is offline Member
    I actually find the opposite on these boards. I think alot of people are actually still very afraid of fat and dont eat nearly enough/too much protein. The average joe needs NO more then .6g per lb BW and someone heavy lifting can still get away fine with .8-1.2ish.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    one time, i made a pound of ground beef cooked in coconut oil, and then enjoyed it with some slices of butter on top. but it was grass fed butter and coconut oil, so i knew i was extra healthy that day. i would've added some onions or garlic, but the insulin response could've made me gain a lot of fat.
    LMAO LOLOLOL....that was a good one!

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    i agree about the extremism thing! It's like everyone is afraid to be middle-of-the-road about things... heaven forbid we are average! As soon as some advice comes out people just let it dominate their lifestyle instead of taking it for what it is - usually a statement without context. E.g. (made-up) berries are good... people eat a zillion berries a day, instead of just choosing berries when they feel like fruit.

I think it's the same with the carb thing. People found they felt good with lower carbs.. also probably in part due to less sugar (rather than the lack of carbs in general)... suddenly everyone rushes to a very low carb diet!

I think the old saying about moderation is true in every facet of life. You hear these things, evaluate the truth/relativity for yourself, then let that affect your decisions, rather than dominate them.

Also being a sedentary female with weight loss as the number 1 goal... you really cannot afford to go all out on the fats or it's near impossible to get your other daily nutrient needs. Sometimes I want bacon and eggs but when I do that it's really hard to get enough protein in for the rest of the day because that 1 meal alone is half my daily calorie intake! So definitely have to keep that in mind when going crazy on the fats.
    Nods head in agreement

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrGee View Post
    I think it's an (over)reaction to years of being denied delicious fat. A rebellion, even.

As a kid, I was told not to eat the fatty part off a steak because it was "bad for you", even though it was more delicious than the steak itself. The same thing went with other delicious, but "bad for you" (CW), fatty foods, like bacon.

"You mean all that delicious fat is isn't bad for you after all?! Then, why am I eating this shit?!

*tosses out bowl of oatmeal*

"Hand me those bacon and eggs!!! Up yours, Food Pyramid!!!"
    Bwahaha! I'm envisioning a massive, simultaneous oatmeal purge out of every kitchen window of every home on a worldwide scale...
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Why toss it away if you could make a decent facial mask of it?

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    anyone who's followed CW's low-fat prescription for health & comes to primal SHOULD swoon over fats; their bodies are probably starved for what it has to offer: vitamins A&D&K&E, omega 3s, cell-wall building blocks, pure deliciousness.

Those happy posters having mouthgasms from butter? That's pure physical delight at getting the Good Shit, instead of a banana daquiri cream pie no fat yoplait whip chemical mess.

No. I still don't like fat. About the only full fat product I like is cheese & nuts, but butter, cream, coconut oil, olive oil, bacon, pork drippings... eww. The smell makes me gag, and it leaves unpleasant feeling in my mouth, and what's more makes me ravenous. I am trying to fat fast again today, and after 7 hours of almost pure fat intake, i am ready to kill for an honest slab of a boiled cod.

I do like salmon, and the fat that is integral to the meat, but separable fat, I don't like too much of it on its own. I like roasting my meats without added fat.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I think it's an (over)reaction to years of being denied delicious fat. A rebellion, even.

As a kid, I was told not to eat the fatty part off a steak because it was "bad for you", even though it was more delicious than the steak itself. The same thing went with other delicious, but "bad for you" (CW), fatty foods, like bacon.

"You mean all that delicious fat is isn't bad for you after all?! Then, why am I eating this shit?!

True for me! VERY true for me. A few years ago I thought soymilk and granola were optimal staple foods. Blech!

You know what makes you actually full? 2 pounds of top sirloin.
    Also true! Another vote for protein, here! One pound a day, I've discovered, is baseline maintenance for me. But it would be cooked in tallow and then I'd drink it after cooking my veggies in it. Maybe I would eat less fat if I ate the full two pounds of meat, but then where's my vitamin K2?

+ 100!!!!!! Finally!!!! I was beginning to think I was all alone on that one!

When I first tried primal (I need to lose weight) by eating a diet of 60%-70% fat, it gave me explosive diarrhea (sorry TMI, i know!) to the point where I couldn't hold anything in for very long, so I suppose it could work on the basis of food straight in, food straight out.....lol! Personally I'd just prefer to go higher protein, moderate fats and lower-moderate carbs for the comfortability factor :-P
    Sounds like you dove in too fast. I had to start slowly, because I also got the runs at first! It took about six weeks of gradually increasing my fat intake to be able to eat bacon and eggs without discomfort. Nowadays I can eat a dozen eggs or a pound of bacon without a problem.

butter is not a food group.

when people are having 400-500 cals of bullet-proof coffee for "breakfast", what happens the rest of the day? is everything else super-nutrient dense all day to make up for the fat-bomb in the beginning? just like liver, eggs, wild salmon and kale?
    You sort of answered your own question. When eating high-fat, a person should also eat the most nutrient-dense foods they can find. And there is also an over-lap of nutrient-dense and high-fat foods, like eggs and avocados. Add liver and greens, and even a little fruit and especially nuts (gasp, I said it!) and it's hard to become malnourished. I mean, good luck missing out on a micronutrient. I do this, often getting 70% (80% on coconut milk days!) of my calories from fat. My nutrition calculator numbers are usually great, only occasionally low on thiamin.

I do wear the high-fat badge, but I wear it with a level head and am willing to take on new info as it comes.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by ArrGee View Post

I feel this is the case with me. I try not to "eat like an inuit" but fat is what makes things delicious. I haven't had bacon in years because I thought the fat was going to kill me. Now I almost always have sugar-free bacon in the fridge!

My husband, strangely, thinks eating the fatty bits on meat is gross. Can't seem to wrap my head around that!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast