Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsession with Fat... page 3

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    i agree about the extremism thing! It's like everyone is afraid to be middle-of-the-road about things... heaven forbid we are average! As soon as some advice comes out people just let it dominate their lifestyle instead of taking it for what it is - usually a statement without context. E.g. (made-up) berries are good... people eat a zillion berries a day, instead of just choosing berries when they feel like fruit.

I think it's the same with the carb thing. People found they felt good with lower carbs.. also probably in part due to less sugar (rather than the lack of carbs in general)... suddenly everyone rushes to a very low carb diet!

I think the old saying about moderation is true in every facet of life. You hear these things, evaluate the truth/relativity for yourself, then let that affect your decisions, rather than dominate them.

Also being a sedentary female with weight loss as the number 1 goal... you really cannot afford to go all out on the fats or it's near impossible to get your other daily nutrient needs. Sometimes I want bacon and eggs but when I do that it's really hard to get enough protein in for the rest of the day because that 1 meal alone is half my daily calorie intake! So definitely have to keep that in mind when going crazy on the fats.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Is it me or does it seem like a lot of people are obsessed with eating fat on these boards? They wear it like badge of honor. "I ate 13 strips of bacon, a stick of kerrygold and 3 tablespoons of coconut oil for breakfast". Do people really think this was the main point of Mark's message? People always have to take everything to the extreme rather than using common sense? A pat of butter on your steamed vegetables, cool. Eating shit tons of fat? eh, probably not the best idea.

Honestly, protein is where it's at. Eat shit tons of protein...

+ 100!!!!!! Finally!!!! I was beginning to think I was all alone on that one!

When I first tried primal (I need to lose weight) by eating a diet of 60%-70% fat, it gave me explosive diarrhea (sorry TMI, i know!) to the point where I couldn't hold anything in for very long, so I suppose it could work on the basis of food straight in, food straight out.....lol! Personally I'd just prefer to go higher protein, moderate fats and lower-moderate carbs for the comfortability factor :-P
    Last edited by TARNIP; 08-03-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Forgotmylastusername is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    i agree about the extremism thing! It's like everyone is afraid to be middle-of-the-road about things... heaven forbid we are average! As soon as some advice comes out people just let it dominate their lifestyle instead of taking it for what it is - usually a statement without context. E.g. (made-up) berries are good... people eat a zillion berries a day, instead of just choosing berries when they feel like fruit.

I think it's the same with the carb thing. People found they felt good with lower carbs.. also probably in part due to less sugar (rather than the lack of carbs in general)... suddenly everyone rushes to a very low carb diet!

I think the old saying about moderation is true in every facet of life. You hear these things, evaluate the truth/relativity for yourself, then let that affect your decisions, rather than dominate them.
    is.
    +1. It's the whole anti CW stance and shock factor that attracts some people.
    I get somewhat annoyed when I see media write ups about the benefits of saturated fat. Instead of presenting a rational write up about how maybe saturated fat isn't this terrible all consuming toxic substance that everyone should avoid, or about how it's ok to eat an omelet without throwing away the yolks, you get extremist articles about how carbs are the devil and how butter is a health food that should be slathered on everything you eat. There seems to be no sensible middle ground.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think people sometimes miss the message about what you can and can eat. I'm always kind of dumbfounded that people freak out about a piece of fruit or two while blindly eating fat without a thought.

But I think for people who were low fat there is a novelty to all the sudden be able to have butter on your veggies. One might overdo it. But I think the reality is that most people overtime probably rein in the fat consumption.

Actually, it kind of cracks me up on the fat/carb thing vs. CW. Here, you have people saying "The apple I had with my pastured eggs scrambled in butter with 4 pieces of bacon and coffee with real cream made me fat". CW you have people saying "OMG, the tablespoon of olive oil I put on my 4 cups of pasta and tomatoes that I had with a piece of multigrain bread with a cup of fat free fro yo and 3 snackwell cookies is why I can't lose weight."

LOL, I just can't get past the people who feel guilt about eating some fruit.

And it seems like the vast majority here are pretty middle of the road, maybe just not as vocal.
    And actually, primal to me seems very common sense and middle of the road. I don't get how people read his info and get that certain foods like fruits etc. are somehow really bad. I have read more posts where people feel "guilt" over fruit consumption and just scratch my head.... did I miss that paragraph about the toxicness of a banana?

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    And it seems like the vast majority here are pretty middle of the road, maybe just not as vocal.
    And actually, primal to me seems very common sense and middle of the road. I don't get how people read his info and get that certain foods like fruits etc. are somehow really bad. I have read more posts where people feel "guilt" over fruit consumption and just scratch my head.... did I miss that paragraph about the toxicness of a banana?
    Most people are here to lose some weight, and it seems ,to them, that if they eat fruit (ie:sugar) they lose 1.5lbs in a week instead of 2+. In this age of instant gratification, everyone wants quick results.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    No, but there could be concerns with fructose malabsorption causing digestive issues; domino effect of eating fruit (binging trigger for more fruit or sweet/carb flavors); significant appetite increase response in reaction to fructose; carb intake total; insulin response; skin conditions such as acne;

In short, if you can eat a couple of strawberries, and ignore the rest of the 2 lbs box of it till a day or three later, you are cool to eat fruit. You know, you are one of those people who 'just don't like fruit that much' and leave half an apple behind....

If you feel that you need to finish all your meals with something sweet, or you are not satisfied. If you become obsessed, irritable, depressed if you stop eating sweets for a day. If you eat that box of strawberries and then ravage the pantry for an apple, and then need something else, and then you are starving next morning. If your stomach hurts and you broke out after having a couple of bananas. If you devour that apple with core and seeds, and suck the base of the stick for the tiny bits that are stuck to it... skipping fruit is not a bad idea.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ArrGee is offline Member
    I think it's an (over)reaction to years of being denied delicious fat. A rebellion, even.

As a kid, I was told not to eat the fatty part off a steak because it was "bad for you", even though it was more delicious than the steak itself. The same thing went with other delicious, but "bad for you" (CW), fatty foods, like bacon.

"You mean all that delicious fat is isn't bad for you after all?! Then, why am I eating this shit?!

*tosses out bowl of oatmeal*

"Hand me those bacon and eggs!!! Up yours, Food Pyramid!!!"

There is a medium between eating half an apple and binging on pounds of fruit. 2 or 3 pieces a day is not unhealthy.

It's really OK to enjoy food.

I think it's an (over)reaction to years of being denied delicious fat. A rebellion, even.
    And I imagine if you deny yourself sweet (fruit) that over time.... you may have an overreaction. For most people, balancing all of this stuff is critical and just denying yourself basic whole foods that you enjoy will likely backfire eventually.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast