Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graston therapy for achilles tendonitis... page

Coll is online now Senior Member

Graston therapy for achilles tendonitis...

Shop Now
    Anyone had this treatment? Did it help? I have chronic tendonitis (constantly for a year) and hurt it last week, been on crutches for a few days, slightly better now. But nothing I have done has cleared it up and I am ready to try something different. My chiropractor, who has helped a lot with other issues in our family, recommends it. Just feeling kind of wimpy at the thought of someone messing with an area that is so darn painful already, but I guess it would be awesome to be able to walk normally again after over a year of hobbling around...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 218 lbs
    S.T. goals: stabilize hormones, JUDDD, sleep early and long
    LTG: Find my sweet spot with which foods work for me and start losing weight
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

Just take it one bite at a time ...

First treatment down, pretty intense and definitely painful; but, it feels a bit better now. Got about 3 more treatments to go, seems like it may be helpful...

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had it personally but have heard good things about it. Let us know how it goes!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I've studied it a bit, but them damn tools are all kind of expensive. It is generally very effective for tendinitis though. Just be sure that once the pain subsides you are sure the joints are mobile and well aligned and you begin some stability exercise work.

Achilles nice and hot and sore tonight. Off to put it in an ice bath ... it has felt a little more mobile this afternoon as I have been walking around. Yes, Neckhammer, I am really wanting to figure out why I got the tendonitis in the first place... where can I find some good exercises for this kind of thing?

merryish is offline Senior Member
    Coll, I'm having graston now for the same issue. One thing to be sure of when you start thinking about exercises to help build strength back is where exactly on the tendon your damage is. If it's nearer your knee, eccentric heel drops can help (heel drops below the level of toes on a step); if it's nearer your heel (insertional), you want to do flat eccentric heel drops (heel does not drop below level of toes; easiest to do on flat surface rather than a step.)

Here are a couple of articles I've found really helpful:

Running writings: Injury Series: Flat eccentric heel drops for insertional Achilles tendonitis (insertional)
    Running writings: Injury Series: Eccentric exercise and tendon remodeling, part I: Achilles tendonitis

Insertional achilles tendonitis is a bitch. I've been dealing with it for over a year now, too. Graston has helped a lot, but I found that most of the improvement came in the first session; after that it was barely incremental. The exercises help more than anything else - though they hurt a LOT while I'm doing them.

Sadly, graston IS sort of painful. But the immediate relief from about 50% of the pain after the first appointment was worth it. My chiropractor wraps my ankles and feet, hooks me up to the electric buzzer thingy (that is a technical chiropractic term! ) and then does the graston stuff. After that, he yanks really hard on each foot so they pop. Finally, he tapes my feet and ankles with kinesio tape. The tape always falls off within a couple of hours and is so flimsy I can't actually believe it does any good. But who knows?

Good luck, I hope you find relief soon!

edited because I forgot about the foot yanking.

Hi Merryish, I too have the insertional tendonitis. I will look at the exercises - thanks for the links. It always surprises me how different chiro's are, but really shouldn't be. I do think that the one I go to is weak on exercises to strengthen as well as stretch. I don't have any electric buzzer thingy or kinesio tape, and no adjustments either, yet, anyway. Funnily the most pain I felt was further up the tendon, but the most reaction to the treatment was down near the insertion site, that is also where I feel the constant burning, aching and clicking.

Some really good information there ... I just did the exercises and am going to be religious about doing them... I am also going to be getting my foam roller out and do some work on my calf muscles. They are very tight which is not helping the achilles at all. Feel like I have the beginnings of a plan ...

merryish is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! I'm glad the links were useful. And I hope the exercises work! I'm trying to be religious about it too, but it's soooo hard to do when it's sometimes so painful.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll make it one of my challenges at nerd fitness this time around....

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you're foam rolling the heck out of your lower legs. A lacrosse ball works great for this. Roll the bottom of your feet too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast