Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Cravings: the Sequel page

ciavyn is offline Senior Member

Sugar Cravings: the Sequel

So...I'm coming down from a month on a strict, no-sugar, candida overgrowth diet, and I've been thrilled that most of my cravings disappeared. I feel great. No digestive issues. LOVE.

I have only two non-primal addictions: dark chocolate, and ice cream. I make my own ice cream and it's damned awesome. All that being said, I decided to try a little dark chocolate this week, and see how I felt. Felt find -- no digestive issues at all, which was the main symptom of my candida issue. However...

I really want chocolate. Not "I'm going to bust through a wall if I don't get some," but definitely demanding and impatient. Not sure I understand why. I'm fat adapted, I eat extremely healthy, and this is one element that seems to be whipping my butt -- and has all my life. Anyone have any experience or mindsets? The idea of never having chocolate or ice cream again seems a bit extreme, but how do you navigate this stuff without sparking cravings?

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    How about trying some cocoa nibs – see if pure chocolate without sugar works for you?

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I am the same, I don't have craving for anything that's not a regular part of my diet except chocolate and nuts. I was trying to get to a lower bodyfat level, so ate very low carb, cut out everything sugary and didn't eat nuts as I just can't stop when I get to them. During past 3-4 months I usually had one chat meal a week (carb refeed) and it still has not stopped me craving chocolate...
    Do you crave the sweetness or "chocolateyness" of it? In my case it is the latter. Cocoa nibs seem to help very well, as mentined in the previous post. Alternatively, get your hands on non-sweetened raw choc powder and butter and make your own chocolate with as little sugar as you want - I love doing it myself. I once eve caugt myself nibbligh bits of chocolate butter on its own

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I eat unsweetened Baker's dark chocolate when I feel like having some chocolate. It's really really really good, and totally hits the spot.

I was going through it 1/2 ounce a day for a while, but now I only want some about once a week, or less often, I'd guess.

Grain may be the devil but sugar is a little demon. So I just don't do it.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    I have had to stop eating dark chocolate as once I start I keep thinking its ok to have a bit more.
    Chocolate is an addiction for me.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I found myself to be a complete chocoholic. I would even have some with breakfast. I stopped cold turkey and it has diminished my cravings...thank goodness! I think it was also messing with my thyroid function.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Y'all make me worried -- I tend to think there is something addictive about the darn stuff. Will try the raw suggestions. Even today -- I had a small square after lunch, and I wanted more. I supplemented some L-glutamine, and that definitely helped. But I don't like that I need the supplement. :sigh:

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Eat dark chocolate until you are completely satisfied and see if there is an issue. If there is, cut back.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    maybe aim for a 48 hour window chocolate free...and see how long you can go---maybe dont start until after your period to make it a bit easier!

Penady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dark Chocolate is perfectly fine to eat...it IS Primal.

The Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate | Mark's Daily Apple

Last night I had a square of 86% dark chocolate. HEAVEN. And it's so rich that I only needed one square to satisfy my craving. Unless you're going to burst through the walls like the Kool-Aid Man, I see no reason to deprive yourself. Just have a reasonable amount and move on. If you do want to do some Kool-Aid Man maneuvers, then maybe you should avoid the stuff until you feel more in control.
    Last edited by Penady; 08-08-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast