Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating conversations with coworkers page 3

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelw View Post
    But guess what, at my last birthday I walked into the break room to find one of those cup cake carousel holders full of apples. It meant a lot to me!
    that's so nice!!!

many of my co-workers eat all shift, all the time and of course are always starving. they nibble on cereal, protein bars, and fruit. one girl, i swear, i have never seen her eat protein in over a year of working together. she sometimes heats up a lean cuisine, but it looks so gloppy and foul i can't tell if there is any real food in that.

my best advice is stop trying to be evangelical. cw is so deeply entrenched and the brainwashing about "healthy grains" and "animal fat killz you dead" is impossible to combat, regardless your personal results.

i have been with my b/f 10 years. 3 years ago, i gave up grains and lost weight. in all this time, i have not had a cold, cough, sore throat or sniffle. previously, i was grossly sick and phlegmy much of the year. since january, i really have been dialing into primal, in a low-carb way. my health continues to improve. he sees it, yet will not give up his cheerios and white bread. his pot belly grows and he doesn't often sleep well. when we met he had a rock-hard 6-pack and slept like a baby. his health and physique are gradually deteriorating from decades of eating crap. this is someone i love deeply and yet cannot make him see the light. he keeps insiting he just needs smaller portions to lose weight!!!! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

just keep on your path and grow into your good health.

oh, and if people ask? usually it's more like "are you on atkins or something?", but i just tell them i gave up "white foods". close enough to true without delving into the rest.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post

How do I convince people that they have to TOTALLY primalize the pantry? You can't just cut back on carbs here and there and take Zumba and woo-hoo six pack. It doesn't work that way. You have to switch from sugar-burner to fat burner, and to do that, you have to go cold turkey... FOR LIFE! Do you realize how difficult that is for people? Sure, it's easy for the young or single, but what about families, or people set in their ways? 85% of the grocery story is off-limits? Every family food gathering has to change? You have to swear off most people's pride-and-joy recipes? The mental aspect is mind-boggling. How do I get past that?
    Exactly! I'm thinking of family members who pride themselves on their cooking/baking. I can relate because I was a professional chef and made amazing wild yeast sourdough, but when these are making you ill it's time to stop.
    My brother has metabolic syndrome and I've talked to him and given him books to read, he's intelligent and understands the science of paleo, yet when my family get's together he says he could't resist making this or that because it's just so good. Even though he's eaten sort of primal and seen improvements in his health he keeps going back to grains. I feel like baking these treats is like bringing a really great bottle of wine to an alcoholic, it doesn't matter how good it is, it's toxic for that person.

I have always been the thinnest one in my family and I am the youngest; I can't help thinking that's why they don't take me seriously. But is frustrating because I love them and I feel like they are killing themselves, they all have so many health problems.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm temping right now until I get permanent work in my field, and at my current placement, everyone thinks I'm super slim and assumes that's just my natural state. I say things like "Lunch time! I love food!" and they say things like, "Oh, but you're so skinny!" like one cannot both enjoy food and be slim without being a freak of nature. Now they've found out that I'm very active, so they assume that's it, or they quote their little nuggets of food knowledge at me: "Oh, a large double-double has 16g of fat!" and expect me to approve of their wisdom.

I try to just quietly note that I don't worry about the fat content--it's the sugar in the double-double that I avoid. In the meantime, I'm heating up my big container of homemade curry made with full-fat coconut milk, grassfed beef, and loads of veggies from my CSA while the woman in the next office is heating up a pseudo-butter-chicken Lean Cuisine that smells like curried plastic. And yet somehow people have decided I must eat next to nothing.

But it's simply not worth proselytizing. People have deeply entrenched food beliefs, and I find dietary preaching is about as welcome as leaving tracts on your co-workers' desks. If people want to know, they'll ask, and getting self-righteous about your food is a great way to turn them right off the whole thing.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Eric5105 is offline Member
    Maybe it's because I'm an engineer, but no one in my office cares what anybody is eating at lunch time. I see all the horrible fake CW foods in the fridges, but no one ever talks about food/diets. After reading threads like this, it makes me very thankful.

mystifiedu is offline Member
    you have this wonderful 'house' your body. And how many people ever think about their body and learning how to properly feed and take care of it. Think of it as a properly tuned car engine that needs the proper fuel and maintenance to run at peak efficiency. Hmm, I guess not many people care, and than --we get sick or some real bad disease and wonder Why did that happen to me ? I had my wake up call a few years ago and I'm learning all I can and it
    is paying off as my health gets better and better every day

mystifiedu is offline Member
    you have this wonderful 'house' your body. And how many people ever think about their body and learning how to properly feed and take care of it. Think of it as a properly tuned car engine that needs the proper fuel and maintenance to run at peak efficiency. Hmm, I guess not many people care, and than --we get sick or some real bad disease and wonder Why did that happen to me ? I had my wake up call a few years ago and I'm learning all I can and it

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    When people ask how my paleo is going I just tell them it's going great. I feel like a completely new person. I love it. Today I had someone tell me it looks like I've lost some weight. I credited my recent strenuous backpack trip. The lady who said that is a vegan and I'm just not going to open any cans of worms. The other day I had someone riddled with autoimmune issues and typical obesity issues ask for advice so I suggested a whole 30 to see if that helps. Immediately rejected that idea was, so I just stared in wide wonder at the noises coming from this man's joints. I think that's all he really wanted anyway, was to shock someone with his joints. Whatever. Not my problem.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mystifiedu View Post
    My Dad was a engineer his whole life and so the car analogy got through to him well. Especially the question of,"Why if I've been eating these foods all my life, am I getting problems from them now?" comes up. With a classic car, you have to be even more careful about the maintenance and always use the highest quality fuel possible.

Even after losing 175 pounds when working there, I have yet to convince a few co-workers who really could use this way of eating. Meanwhile, they suffer from acid reflux, high cholesterol, side effects of statins, frequent illnesses and fatigue and more and say "I could never eat like you do" or "I just can't give up eating X" and "You have such amazing willpower!" Ugh, no, it's just that that garbage you eat is horrible, I have no interest in it.

Same for a few family members and friends.

Then again, it took me many years, desperation and some ups and downs of hard lessons learned to come around to low carb eating too. My biggest regret is not trying it sooner as I lost many years of my life being very overweight and miserable.

But now I'm living life again and loving it and making up for lost time! And I'll share how I eat and my journey with whomever will listen. A few people have listened and have improved their eating as a result at least.

Sissypants is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ivelosttheweight View Post
    Then again, it took me many years, desperation and some ups and downs of hard lessons learned to come around to low carb eating too. My biggest regret is not trying it sooner as I lost many years of my life being very overweight and miserable.

But now I'm living life again and loving it and making up for lost time! And I'll share how I eat and my journey with whomever will listen. A few people have listened and have improved their eating as a result at least.
    Congrats on the weight loss! That's awesome, ivelosttheweight! I think what most people with extra weight have to do is "come around," myself included. It was hard for me to realize that everything I was doing was wrong; I would rather have come to that conclusion myself than have an acquaintance try to tell me at work. I want to share Primal with everybody but finding people who would listen is the hard part.

Maybe if someone at work asks you what you are doing to look so great you could say, "I'd love to tell you! Why don't we meet for coffee or lunch (or whatever) so we can discuss it?" I think that would weed out the nosey-Nellys and not waste your time explaining Primal to people who are just curious about what you did. And if they did want to meet for lunch or whatever, you would know they are serious about helping themselves and willing to truly listen to you.

I personally would bristle at a thin woman walking by me saying, "Lunch time! I love food!" or something similar. I would feel like they are rubbing it in rather than trying to be helpful. The last thing I would need as a large person with low self esteem is a thin person acting superior. Maybe that's not how Owly meant it, but that's how I (as a big person) read it. Maybe that's why they don't listen to the advice? I don't mean to offend and maybe I'm reading a level of smugness in to these posts (not just Owly's) that isn't there. I'm still obese and getting smaller all the time, but the angry, self hating morbidly obese girl is still inside and might be reading something more to this...

So my story is with my mom, not a coworker- My mother hasn't eaten any meat or fat in two months because of digestive problems. I stayed with her for a week a while back and made her Whole30 foods, including bacon, eggs, steak, she ate them all with no problems. She said she felt great and had more energy. We ate really good for 5 days. Until the day she woke up earlier than me and made herself toast and cereal for breakfast and gave herself severe digestive upset (diarrhea, nausea). Then she blamed the bacon she had for the previous days breakfast for catching up to her. I gave up and haven't said a word about Primal to her since. She won't hear it. She just told me all she eats/drinks now is Boost, Ensure, yogurt and toast. All I can do is try to make myself healthier and hope one day she comes to the same realization for herself.
    Last edited by Sissypants; 08-05-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast