Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating conversations with coworkers page 2

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Here are some examples of what I've gotten:

Oh sorry, I could never do that. Just can't give up the pizza, man"

Well, you asked. I can't tell you what to do.

No, it's all about the calories, can't you do simple math? Those fat women are pigs.

I have no answer for this one. So I kind of ignore it.

It's OK as long as it's whole grain.

How can it be OK? The "whole" grain is still has the sugary part -- you're just adding the germ to it to get to Whole. That's what Whole means, duh. If you want the good parts of whole grain, why not just eat a tablespoon of wheat germ? (this is usually too complicated for them).

I have to go to zumba class.

Yeah, just like Kelly Korg and her spinning. Wake me up when you lose THE LAST 6 pounds.

But that sounds like Atkins...isn't that dangerous?

Everyone gets stymied by the first two weeks of Atkins, but you ramp up after that. But don't bother. Too much to keep track of, and Atkins's doesn't work anyway because the ramp up is back to carbs and his fake food.

But you need carbs to live.

I get plenty of carbs from vegetables. Seriously, look at the Nutrition Facts on the back of the frozen veggie bag. All those 3 g and 4g of carb add up fast.

------------

Other things I say. They seems to get some traction:

"I had to take Prilosec for years and now I don't have to... no no, I'm not celiac, but I have a mild gluten intolerance, the same way that some people have lactose intolerance." <-- this seems to connect with people. People know about lactose intolerance where you can have a little milk but not a lot.... sure why not the same with gluten? This worked with a co-worker. His mom is serverly lactose intolerant, so he was much more receptive to other intolerances.

"My favorite snack is salted butter. This is not a joke. Last winter I ad 200 calories MORE than usual, much of it butter, and still lost a pound." <-- they get pretty intrigued by this.

The one thing I do NOT do is recite some condescending primal creed
    like "I eat real food... I don't put junk in my body... I eat like my ancestors... I eat clean and do not eat poison... I avoid artificial frankenfood..."
    This is guaranteed to turn people off. To them, whole wheat IS real food, and organic IS clean, even if it's pasta. To them, "poison" is stuff like arsenic that kills you immediately. People have been eating wheat for 10,000 years and nobody keels over from it. Remember celiac is still rather rare.

I did have one success story. One guy overheard my talking, and started to tell me about his wife, who had found that bread made her joints ache. I told him about the 24 chromosomes in dwarf hybrid wheat. Co-worker asked for some links. I emailed him the link to Wheat Belly and Mark's Daily Apple. Hope he makes progress.

Challenges -- can anyone help with this?

I tend to be skinny fat. If I lose 8 pounds and go from skinny to skinnier, no one notices. So my advice doesn't carry a lot of weight (seriously) with people. That's why I use the Prilosec example.

How do I convince people that they have to TOTALLY primalize the pantry? You can't just cut back on carbs here and there and take Zumba and woo-hoo six pack. It doesn't work that way. You have to switch from sugar-burner to fat burner, and to do that, you have to go cold turkey... FOR LIFE! Do you realize how difficult that is for people? Sure, it's easy for the young or single, but what about families, or people set in their ways? 85% of the grocery story is off-limits? Every family food gathering has to change? You have to swear off most people's pride-and-joy recipes? The mental aspect is mind-boggling. How do I get past that?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    I've lost 50 pounds since February and I was in part inspired by my sister who had lost 30 pounds eating a more balanced SAD. Several weeks ago she and my brother and SIL were comparing allergy medication stories and all of them were talking about spending the summer hopped up on allergy meds. I said this was the first summer I didn't want to take my eyeballs out and rinse them off and coincidentally it was the first summer I had not eaten grain on a regular basis. The response I got was "see, it works FOR YOU." I have no response to her defensiveness, so I just drop it and let my weight loss speak for itself.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I love all the stories you guys have posted - it makes me feel less alone.

I admit, the dismissive response that hurt the most was from a coworker who has rheumatoid arthritis. It's so bad that she's basically just had her entire spine fused. She's had her knees AND her elbows replaced. One day after she got back from her spinal surgery we rode up in the elevator together and I asked her how she was doing - she had to turn her entire body just to look at me to answer. She told me how bad it was, and how much pain there was. She's a trooper, she's not letting it get her down. But I couldn't help it, I HAD to tell her about all the people I've read about here and over at Robb Wolf's site who have seen a lot of improvement to their RA after dropping grains from their diets.

I was cool about it -- I didn't preach or anything. But I told her I'd been looking for ways to improve my own autoimmune condition (dermatomyositis) and had seen some improvement off of grains, and that in the course of looking around I'd seen a lot of RA sufferers who had also had success without them.

She kind of blew me off, which broke my heart for her. She said she had thought about it some but just didn't think she could give up pasta. When I got back to my desk I emailed her a link to this site, and let it rest at that. Who knows, maybe someday it'll be bad enough that she gives it a shot, and maybe she'll be one of the people it helps.

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    I always read these threads and think about this issue heaps. It's so hard to find a way to tell people about this without becoming "that person". I remember when I was eating CW "healthy" and someone would tell me about the raw food diet, or veganism or something, and I'd just immediately close off my mind thinking "oh it's one of those people again".

Really, REALLY hard to help people and know what to say, and when to say it. My results are speaking to people close to me, because they trust my opinion on things anyway and they know I'd never jump into something. But for people not close to me, I just don't know how to make them see!

I work at a medical centre so my conversations with coworkers are absolutely frustrating, because they're doctors! Have you ever tried telling a doctor they're wrong? Hahahha. We have about 10 general practitioners, and at least 6 of them are overweight. None of them obese as such, but definitely not optimum health. I always see them on their lunch breaks eating pasta, or pastries with veges & meat inside, or sandwiches, and lots of cake, for some reason.

Whenever I eat at work, which isn't much because I only work 4-8hours a week, I bring my big ass salad. One day, one of the doctors said "you'll turn into a rabbit eating like that!" as he munched his lasagna. All I could think of to respond was "there ain't no carrots in here mate!". He actually said something else interesting in the staffroom a while ago though, he was talking about people thinking rice crackers are healthy when in reality they're like a starch bomb. Interesting I thought.... but still he eats his pasta and sandwiches.

One of the female doctors was talking to me the other day when we were quiet, complaining she couldn't lose weight. A few of the staff there know I have lost 45lb / 20kg so maybe that's why she decided to ask me, I'm not sure. She wondered whether she should go join Jenny Craig. I told her how my parents use to always do it and the food looked yuck and fake and seemed really high carb. She decided not to in the end. I told her I lost my weight through low carb eating, and she exclaimed "I never eat carbs!". Then I said, I found I had to eat more natural fats to keep satisfied, but then she launched into "Oh no I never eat fats." Then I was thinking, you live off protein? I doubt it. But again, not much point arguing with a doctor! Hopefully she will continue to see my results and maybe ask me more about it sometime in the future. She also told me she thinks I look "cute" being chubby hahahaha. To be fair, I don't think she realises how overweight I really am. A lot of people probably wouldn't guess my weight.

I hope one day I can work out the perfect way to tell people about this kind of eating
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merryish View Post
    I love all the stories you guys have posted - it makes me feel less alone.

I admit, the dismissive response that hurt the most was from a coworker who has rheumatoid arthritis. It's so bad that she's basically just had her entire spine fused. She's had her knees AND her elbows replaced. One day after she got back from her spinal surgery we rode up in the elevator together and I asked her how she was doing - she had to turn her entire body just to look at me to answer. She told me how bad it was, and how much pain there was. She's a trooper, she's not letting it get her down. But I couldn't help it, I HAD to tell her about all the people I've read about here and over at Robb Wolf's site who have seen a lot of improvement to their RA after dropping grains from their diets.

I was cool about it -- I didn't preach or anything. But I told her I'd been looking for ways to improve my own autoimmune condition (dermatomyositis) and had seen some improvement off of grains, and that in the course of looking around I'd seen a lot of RA sufferers who had also had success without them.

She kind of blew me off, which broke my heart for her. She said she had thought about it some but just didn't think she could give up pasta. When I got back to my desk I emailed her a link to this site, and let it rest at that. Who knows, maybe someday it'll be bad enough that she gives it a shot, and maybe she'll be one of the people it helps.
    As a person with severe RA, I would just point out that you are probably the 10,000 person to give her advice on how to help her RA. I can't even tell you how many people told me that if I "just" went vegan, tried accupuncture, exercised more, didn't eat protein and carbs together, had a green smoothie every day, etc, etc, etc that I would be better. It is really tough to take all that advice over time. First of all, when you are exhausted and in pain you can't imagine how hard it is to make all these changes. Next, when you don't take advice, people assume you don't really want to get better.

But, you are right, you planted a bit of a seed and maybe when the time is right your co-worker will do a bit more reading. For the life of me, I can't remember what or who it was that first pointed me to this way of eating. I wish I could remember so I could go kiss their feet with gratitude
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    I think the " Oh, I could never give up carbs " is a self-satisfied smug poor you, can't eat cakes, biscuits thang rather than disinterest. Zillions of people believe that if they eat fat they will keel over but cupcakes are fine..

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATTAACK View Post
    Have your wife read Gary Taubes's book "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" and she will understand. Science can be pretty convincing.
    Oh you poor thing. One can't use science on a deeply held belief! I just accept that she knows she's going to inherit (our debts) sooner rather than later.

@ Sceptic. See above
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    Have you ever tried telling a doctor they're wrong?
    No but I once proved a solicitor wrong on a point of law. Does that count?
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Chelw is offline Junior Member
    In my personal experience, it just took time to have acceptance from those I work with. It has been over 2 years that I've been eating this way and no one questions it anymore. They see I have gone down to a healthy weight and have been able to stay there without having a heart attack. Sure, in the beginning standing alone without cake at birthday parties in the break room was awkward and there were plenty of questions and comments. But guess what, at my last birthday I walked into the break room to find one of those cup cake carousel holders full of apples. It meant a lot to me!

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not to sound smug, but frankly, I couldn't care less about what my co-workers think about the things that I eat, and it's not something that I even think about.
    I mean...how can you fault someone for eating natural, unprocessed foods?
    That being said, I've received mostly positive feedback from them.
    I've had a couple of medication taking fat people with achy joints make comments, and I responded by asking them how their diets are working out for them. That pretty much put an end to that.
    I watch them eat small portions of oatmeal, "healthy" cereals, whole grain bread, ect....and walk around hungry, grouchy and tired all day. Then I pull out my big assed salad, with some kind of meat on it, in a bowl that looks like Jethro's cereal bowl from "The Beverly Hillbillies", and I see them looking out of the corner of their eyes at me as I chow down.
    Love it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast