Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to snack or not to snack - my question page

shiningprimal is offline Junior Member

to snack or not to snack - my question

I'm in education and recently have gone back after summer vacation. In the summer, my meals were about 4-5 hours apart and I didn't need to snack at all.

Now that I'm back at work, I generally eat at 6:30, 12:30 and 6:00. The bigger gaps in meals, plus my upped energy expenditure as I'm flying around all the time, mean that I'm starting to experience a bit of hunger between meals.

My question is: do I HAVE to snack? i.e. will my efforts be thwarted if I'm a bit hungry for a few hours? Or, can I stretch it and consider them mini IFs and not worry about it?

THANKS!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    wow, that's not the expected question! heck no, you don't have to snack. hunger is a natural sensation, a perfectly healthy one too. there's nothing wrong with feeling some hunger during the day. in fact, it was likely extremely typical - an integral part of life - until recent times.

eating a snack is not the worst thing, but i do think that eating square meals is a far, far better bet. good for you, stick with it.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    thats up to you, being hungry isn't a bad thing.

You could always add more fat/protein to your meals to keep you fuller between them.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    I can't eat enough in a meal to feel full, so i tend to snack. there's nothing wrong with a little hunger.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i don't know when people became so threatened by the actual sensation of hunger. mine can't have been the only mom who forbid pre-dinner snacks "cuz it would ruin my appetite"?

as long as you're not seriously flagging, and keeping hydrated, just stick to 3 meals. you might need a bit more in the lunch one?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    For the general population, snacking is pretty unnecessary. It sounds like it doesn't make much sense in your situation. Three solid meals should be just fine.

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    I really like the empty feeling I get between meals.
    It's not hunger anymore, just a sensation that lets me know I'm burning fat.

An organic apple wouldn't hurt you. I eat part of a fruit with a tad of walnut or almond butter at the beginning of meals;
    kind of an appetizer. Also, drink loads of filtered water inbetween meals, it'll fill you up great.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Eat if you are really hungry. Don't if you're not.

JamestheJust is offline Junior Member
    Not sure where all the hate for snacking is coming from! If you feel hunger enough where you are low on energy, definitely have a snack. Just make sure its primal and don't overdo it.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    I really like the empty feeling I get between meals.
    It's not hunger anymore, just a sensation that lets me know I'm burning fat.

An organic apple wouldn't hurt you. I eat part of a fruit with a tad of walnut or almond butter at the beginning of meals;
    kind of an appetizer. Also, drink loads of filtered water inbetween meals, it'll fill you up great.
    Water is great, but I can't do fruit by itself, or I get HUNGRY. Cheese slices on apple slices, now that's a snack!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast