Thread: Primal Mamas, help me find decent healthcare! page

SarahRingo is offline Junior Member

Primal Mamas, help me find decent healthcare!

Shop Now
    Hello everyone, I am new to these forums, although I've followed MDA (and a basically primal lifestyle) for a couple of years now. I love the lifestyle, 'cause it just makes me feel plain old healthy, so I'm sticking to it.

I have always preferred a more natural and less interventionist approach to healthcare, and I've never had much luck finding practitioners (other than the herbalists and acupuncturists) who are happy with that. My husband and I are about to start trying for our first child, and I'm a little bit panicked about dealing with the medical system.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good ob/gyns, birthing centers or midwives, pediatricians, etc. in the Jersey City or New York City area?

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    If you go with a midwife (highly recommend...I loved my midwife), make sure you have a baby-friendly hospital as a back up in case you need to transfer to one (I had to transfer from my midwife's birthing center to the hospital after about 12 hours).
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Wish you were a little closer. I go to one in NEPA that is great. Call your local healthfood store -- or stop in -- and ask them for referrals. I found several really great docs that way. Also, check this out: Paleo Physicians Network There's some good stuff on there as well.

Thanks for the tips, ladies. I just found a primary care doctor through the Paleo Physicians Network. I have an appointment next week, and am going to ask him for advice as well.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    any local mommy message boards for you? was just listening to a story on npr about this.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Hm, I think I started looking and got discouraged too quickly. Guess I'd better dive back in.

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Just wishing you good luck. I had two midwife assisted deliveries in baby-friendly hospitals. My hubby refused to do a home birth. Both were natural, no meds, intervention-free births and I nursed both my boys right away, and they stayed with me the entire time.

I used the Hypnobabies home study program and thought it was terrific. Not only is the program informative and relaxing, I really did have two comfortable births that were joyous and just as I had envisioned. I loved the program so much I'm considering becoming an instructor.

Good luck with getting pregnant and finding care.