Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk hunger, snacking, and foods one is "allowed" to eat page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I would not do it at work. I was called into a manager's office and forbidden to eat fish, because people found the smell offensive. Now I do egg whites and eggs in a microwave.....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    ..or do beef jerky, a banana, or a whole avocado perhaps.

I am trying to make jerky more often, but it is so messy and takes a lot of planning. Just have marinated the second batch ever. I make dehydrated chips all the time. All that slicing of half frozen meat is killing me...

Yeah, I normally bring a box of greens with a bit of avocado and some veg as well. And coconut oil. I am training myself to eat that yuk. Sure makes a good hunger indicator for me (hate the stuff).

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am trying to make jerky more often, but it is so messy and takes a lot of planning. Just have marinated the second batch ever. I make dehydrated chips all the time. All that slicing of half frozen meat is killing me...

Yeah, I normally bring a box of greens with a bit of avocado and some veg as well. And coconut oil. I am training myself to eat that yuk. Sure makes a good hunger indicator for me (hate the stuff).
    I can not eat that stuff! I have tried and it is not worth it. Yuck yuck yuck. lol. I do, however, love it on my face and I use it for homemade toothpaste and deodarant

I use butter, olive oil or bacon fat for cooking.

Why are you training yourself to eat it? Do you believe it'll be that beneficial? I tried to "like" this coffee at work here. I've been drinking 1 cup a day for 3 or 4 months and I'm done. It's never tasted good.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Cheese (dairy) and Fruit are also “not allowed” I think or if they are they’re supposed to be “in moderation”. For me “in moderation” is code for “there should be some guilt attached in eating it”, reason is I figure if something’s whole food and/or good to eat you might as well eat it and enjoy it without regret. I’m NOT talking about gorging yourself until you’re sick, but I mean you should be able to eat the food with a clear conscience no? That’s why I consider “eat in moderation” foods to be essentially “not allowed”.
    Oh for fucks sweet sake- he has a whole list of allowed foods that includes about a mile of fruit. EAT FRUIT. The only people who should limit fruit are people trying to lose weight as it adds calories, messes with some people and makes it harder to be low carb. Eating a fucking banana is not a moral failing. Grok is not going to mock you. You aren't going to gain fat over a piece of fruit. If you want something sweet when you look in your fridge and there is a banana or a cookie, the banana is better.... and you know what, the banana is better than eating 3 pieces of bacon or a tablespoon of coconut oil or some lard.

Eat some nuts, and eat some dairy. Just don't eat honey roasted nuts with 345 ingrediants or fat free yogurt with corn syrup.

Some people have issues with nuts, dairy, fruit. If you are trying to lose weight, the added calories might be hard to work in from those foods.

But a healthy, fit, 30 year old guy can eat a banana, some nuts and some yogurt and should not feel wrong about it or bad about it. THOSE FOODS ARE HEALTHY AND NATURAL. Good for you. They are not kin to hohos, ding dongs and a big mac in what they do to your body. They have valuable vitamins and minerals and they taste good.

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    I have almost no desire for snacking, especially if I eat breakfast. I would suggest logging everything that you eat for a at least a week and see how your macros look and the total number of calories you are consuming. That might give you an insight in to what needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    All that slicing of half frozen meat is killing me...
    An electric turkey carving knife works wonders for cutting the half frozen meat for jerky.
    Last edited by Chris_H; 08-02-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Big bag of assorted frozen veggies sauted in butter with salt and spices make a great quick filling snack

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Do you have the time to make eating more fun and exciting? Recipes?

I have a favorite go-to meal already: brown 1lb chorizo or italian or whatever type of meat you enjoy (buffalo was good). Remove from pan. Add thinly sliced red onions and saute until soft and starting to brown. Add a few Tbsp ghee if your meat wasn't overly fatty and toss in 1 head of thinly sliced napa cabbage. Stir and cook for about 7-10 minutes until soft and 'noodly' looking. Stir in the meat and 1/2 t caraway seed. YUM. It reheats very well.

In my opinion, Paleo will get old very fast if you don't make some appealing things. With all of the eye candy out there in restaurants and on food shelves, it is hard to resist the off limit foods. Spend some time on Paleo websites, bookmark a few, and find meals you can make that fit your taste/budget/time contraints.

I carry Primal Pacs with me (beef jerky/minimal nuts/minimal fruit) and open those when I am in a pinch for a snack. They are very filling. Great Seattle based company. Opt for that instead of the sugary protein bars.

I just have to get on my box about artificial sugars: I don't care if they help with weight loss or add to weight gain. They are BAD. Exitatory, nasty stuff. Take a look at "Sweet Misery" if you have the time. I think there is a YouTube video now.

Good luck to you. I love your successes. The challenges are manageable; just not always easy! Even Mark will say there can be an 80/20 way of living Primal. It isn't to give yourself a cop-out excuse to cheat, but instead takes into account life's little realities and the need for a slice of chocolate cake on rare occasion to deal with your 3 kids when they are driving you crazy (well, that's me)!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Why are you training yourself to eat it? Do you believe it'll be that beneficial? I tried to "like" this coffee at work here. I've been drinking 1 cup a day for 3 or 4 months and I'm done. It's never tasted good.
    Okay, don't laugh, but fat composition is supposed to help fight stubborn fat, and it is easy to transport and keep in the office at room temp. And I can't stand olive oil and butter on its own. I cook with butter rarely, and sometimes with bacon grease, more often meat drippings, but on its own... I dunno, it just not my thing. (Sigh) I am just not a natural for Primal, I have a far easier time with Paleo, but then I am adamant about keeping my fermented dairy! Heh. That's why I am not paleo or primal any more, but i am hanging in here anyway.

An electric turkey carving knife works wonders for cutting the half frozen meat for jerky.
    On my list! All I have to do, is to mention it to my husband. He was remembering the first batch of jerky with tears in his eyes for months!
    Last edited by Leida; 08-02-2012 at 12:38 PM.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Oh for fucks sweet sake- he has a whole list of allowed foods that includes about a mile of fruit. EAT FRUIT. The only people who should limit fruit are people trying to lose weight as it adds calories, messes with some people and makes it harder to be low carb. Eating a fucking banana is not a moral failing. Grok is not going to mock you. You aren't going to gain fat over a piece of fruit. If you want something sweet when you look in your fridge and there is a banana or a cookie, the banana is better.... and you know what, the banana is better than eating 3 pieces of bacon or a tablespoon of coconut oil or some lard.

Eat some nuts, and eat some dairy. Just don't eat honey roasted nuts with 345 ingrediants or fat free yogurt with corn syrup.

Some people have issues with nuts, dairy, fruit. If you are trying to lose weight, the added calories might be hard to work in from those foods.

But a healthy, fit, 30 year old guy can eat a banana, some nuts and some yogurt and should not feel wrong about it or bad about it. THOSE FOODS ARE HEALTHY AND NATURAL. Good for you. They are not kin to hohos, ding dongs and a big mac in what they do to your body. They have valuable vitamins and minerals and they taste good.
    Loved this, couldn't agree more. Fruit and dairy are sketchy but you're ok with eating store bought protein bars? Come onnnn. You've got to eat more. Don't be afraid of real food

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast