Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole grains in small measures are perfectly paleo. page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

Whole grains in small measures are perfectly paleo.

Shop Now
    Heya, I have a question, Our ancestors would have eaten any foods they could have scrounged up and one of them would have been wild grains like rice or whatever was available locally and added it into the mix. I am a paleo skills kinda guy foraging is a hobby so I have to ask why whole grains cooked as oatmeals or as part of a bird stuffing would not be acceptable as part of a paleo diet?

I add roasted wild rice and Quinoa and sometimes whole Barley or whole oats to my soups and stews and chicken stuffing both as a thickener and for a wonderful flavour. This is paleo and it tastes good. I recognize that many modern grains are not what they were once but still.

How wrong is this for my diet and my body?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, if you have no intolerances, allergies or symptoms by eating those and you are active and healthy then eat them; I went further and reintroduced pasta every once in a while.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    They are all perfectly fine, but if you are sensitive to gluten barley could be a problem. However, barley was not genetically modified like wheat was, so if you don't feel bad after consuming it, just enjoy it.

It is not going be called 'paleo' or 'primal' (though Primal now allows for wild rice and quinoa) but one of the versions of any number of the whole foods approaches.

Buckwheat and millet are other non-glutenous grains allowed on the whole foods.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MinimalMe is offline Junior Member
    " I have to ask why whole grains cooked as oatmeals or as part of a bird stuffing would not be acceptable as part of a paleo diet?"

Um, I'd suggest you read Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, or The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, they will lay forth the entire range of logical fallacies in your reasoning, in great and exhaustive detail. You may have heard of these two guys although your statement seems to indicate that you're not familiar with their work.... At any rate, I'd agree with others that it's not Paleo or Primal to eat grains, but if it works for you, more power to ya! Take care and good luck!

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I add roasted wild rice and Quinoa and sometimes whole Barley or whole oats to my soups and stews and chicken stuffing both as a thickener and for a wonderful flavour. This is paleo and it tastes good. I recognize that many modern grains are not what they were once but still.
    How is that paleo? If you really want to eat these things, go right ahead, but they're definitely not paleo.

patrickh is offline Member
    No, small amounts of grains are not paleo. Barring a few isolated tribes mashing up some cattails as far back as 20,000 years or so, paleolithic people just didn't eat grains...even in small amounts.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I can't imagine a caveman (Grok, ancestral humanoid, whatever) eating grains. If you think about how they grow, it just doesn't seem like they would be milling stuff to make bread, or eating it raw (and I would imagine that no matter how "pure" the grain, it would not be digested well/cause discomfort). So if you want to eat it, go ahead, but as others said, it's not paleo.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Well, somebody must have eaten some, otherwise how would they end up picking more from what grew up in the vicinity of their camp, fueled up by the stuff that came out on the 'other end' along with the non-digested seeds, then figuring out to cultivate it? Wild grass carried smaller seeds before cultivation, but when it is ripening it is perfectly chewabale and yummy. Have you never chewed on grains in the ripening wheat or barley or rye field? Soaking the harder ones in water is not beyond possibility either. Eventually we figured how to grind ripened grain that was not as given to spoilage as the raw one (based on the experience with dried berries). I bet they ground dried berries into paste before they ground grains.... They also ground bitter acorns into paste and ate it and even eventually braved mutated almonds most of which were outright posionous... why not far less scary grains?
    Last edited by Leida; 08-02-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Have you never chewed on grains in the ripening wheat or barley or rye field?
    No. Perhaps my feeling this way is largely to do with the environment in which I grew up, which was plenty of gardens and access to fresh eggs, but grains were not a focus until I was older, and by that time, they were all processed (American grocery store bread). I think many of the people around here would probably have had a similar experience. The way you describe it makes sense, but I think that modern grains are not worth the trouble unless obtained as you describe/less troublesome grains are used (there is a kind of wheat that is considered more ancestral available now, but I can't remember what it's called). Perhaps oats would not be so much of an issue.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Paleobird Guest
    We can quibble about paleo or non paleo until the grass fed cows come home but, Warmbear, IIRC you are trying to shift some pounds? If so, grains are going to slow you down. They displace other more nutrient dense food options and skew your macros toward carbs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast