Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Whole grains in small measures are perfectly paleo. page 6

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I really don't think the OP is talking about eating a significant amount of grains, in fact he says he does not eat wheat. Plenty of primal folks eat dairy and I don't see how dairy could have amounted to much in the Paleo diet. Not to mention ancient forms of fruit; talk about different from modern fruit! Ancient apples were more likely eaten for the fat and protein found in the larva that lived in the fruit.
    I don't know about that particularly... but I do know that my father was a POW during the Vietnam war...
    And it was the guys who weren't squemish, went to the food buckets first, and skimmed the top portion off to eat with their hands that stayed the healthiest in the camp... from what he related.

The food was rice, and scraps of veg (sometimes fish or other meat/bones too) that was basically half rotten garbage, that was put into a lidded bucket and had boiling water poured onto it and let sit until it cooled.
    The bugs and bug larvae that was in the rice would float and form a layer on the top of the food... and many of the American men were too squeamish to eat it. My dad and a couple of other guys always got first dibs because they weren't afraid of eating the food on top that was mostly bugs. It very likely gave them the extra protein to keep their strength, and kept them from eating either only rice, or the the semi-rotten meats at the bottom that probably made the others sick...

I'm sure bugs were a favorite way back.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I don't know about that particularly... but I do know that my father was a POW during the Vietnam war...
    And it was the guys who weren't squemish, went to the food buckets first, and skimmed the top portion off to eat with their hands that stayed the healthiest in the camp... from what he related.

The food was rice, and scraps of veg (sometimes fish or other meat/bones too) that was basically half rotten garbage, that was put into a lidded bucket and had boiling water poured onto it and let sit until it cooled.
    The bugs and bug larvae that was in the rice would float and form a layer on the top of the food... and many of the American men were too squeamish to eat it. My dad and a couple of other guys always got first dibs because they weren't afraid of eating the food on top that was mostly bugs. It very likely gave them the extra protein to keep their strength, and kept them from eating either only rice, or the the semi-rotten meats at the bottom that probably made the others sick...

Jeeze. That is one heck of a story.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member

Geez, now I'm hungry again....
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Jeeze. That is one heck of a story.
    Rather sanitized version.

He only chose to share stories like that a couple of times in my life.
    I'd be just as well off if I didn't know I think.

He was a MC sniper... he was POW/MIA... actually declared dead by the US gov't. until he managed to get back to a base.
    There are reasons why a lot of those guys are seriously messed up.
    My dad is. No doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Geez, now I'm hungry again....
    Right.
    That made me think... the OP could get some meal worms and toast them up and stir those into his stew, just like long grain brown rice, kinda, only full of healthy proteins and fats.
    Meal worms are easy to grow at home... and toasted they taste rather nutty.
    http://abigalesedibles.com/2010/09/h...s-for-cooking/
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-03-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Meal worms are easy to grow at home... and toasted they taste rather nutty.
    not toasted, they are very wriggly.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    OP, eat whatever you want. But Paleo and Primal are like brand names, they are what their authors say they are. If you intentionally cook with grains, you are not "paleo" or "primal" - that's just accuracy. But, eat what you want, I certainly do. If you want to make your own version, go ahead but call it something different.

The anthropological evidence as I understand it says pretty clearly that grains in any form were no more than a tiny portion of our diet until agriculture came around,so in other words we did not substantially evolve to eat grains, unlike, say, small birds. Nutritionally, grains are pretty poor. The science seems to indicate that gluten in particular is really bad for people, some more than others. All of that seems pretty uncontroversial. But if you want to throw some barley in your soup, go ahead dude. More power to ya. It's your food in the end.
    Yeah.......this, this is my thought after reading all the other responses.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Whether whole grains in small amounts are paleo or not matters little to me.
    What does matter is that I felt like crap when I used to eat them, but since I always ate them I didn't realize how bad I felt until I stopped and started to feel better.
    I could probably get away with eating a small amount of whole grain, but I don't see any reason to do so.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456