Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Whole grains in small measures are perfectly paleo. page 5

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    How much nutrients is in lettuce? Cucumber? Zucchini?
    A staggering amount. Romaine is off the charts with nutrient-density.

Of course, you'd have to eat 6 kilograms of romaine or 8.5 kilgrams of cucumbers to get those totals. However, it just goes to show you nutrient density calorie per calorie.

Right click and select View Image to see the full resolution. It's important to see the RDA's. Stunning.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Choco, a question. Can you give me a link to the database you use for graphs such as the above? They are nicely laid out. Thanks.
    Those are just Fitday graphs I'm taking screenshots of, pasting in MS Paint, then uploading to Photobucket.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

These are fun! Last one: eggs vs oats.

So...why eat oatmeal for breakfast? It even resembles vomit. It's like nature telling you not to eat it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    So...why eat oatmeal for breakfast? It even resembles vomit. It's like nature telling you not to eat it.
    I am so glad to be rid of that stuff. I used to eat it because I thought I was being healthy. Now I see people doing paleo versions of that with coconut, etc. Why? The real stuff was gross. Why try to imitate it?

There was an article the other day on the Yahoo! homepage that stated a lot of people with gluten intolerance weren't even aware they had it.

Here it is on another site: Most Americans with Celiac Disease Don't Know It | LiveScience

I also wonder about ancient civilizations and their use of yeasts with making breads. This is after Grok's time, of course, but I've always heard that sourdough is the lesser of evils when it comes to wheat consumption. In Eqypt they would have used different strains of yeast than we do today, no? I wonder if that helped make it more digestible.

I can't honestly say I have gluten intolerance or Celiac disease, but I know I've had several positive things happen after stopping them. More energy, my poops were less straining, and helps keep my skin clarity.

I switched to lots of brown rice after I went gluten-free years ago, and came into Primal a couple of weeks ago. I can't be 100% certain about why I'm seeing even more results. My skin has been clear, but now it has this glow to it. My finger joints stopped aching and my poops are even better than they were on just a gluten-free diet. The only big difference about my diet since coming into this is more meat, no grains, and less carbs.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    These are fun! Last one: eggs vs oats.

? I like rolled oats and milk, with some sliced banana, a spoonful of blackstrap and maybe a pinch of honey. Yum. Bitter and sweet and chewy and thick and... Mmmmmm.

Eating too many oats does turn me into a poo factory, though.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Your graphs are all different scales, but it simply looks that nutrients are distributed in different patterns, not that grain has all 0's and the eggs or sweet potato are all high on everything under the sun. With the nutrient density, I think it's better to have a food when you can eat a reasonable amount of it and get a reasonable amount of nutrient. 1000 cals of millet is much easier to consume than 8 kilos of cucumber.... though I doubt anyone will do either unless they are like stuck with a bucket of cucs or a bag of millet... looks like millet beats cashews and sweet potatoes, actually, or at least holds its own on the balance of all the columns. I think a person stuck On the cucumber island will be worse off in the end than the one stuck on the Millet Island. The whole anti-nutrients thing is applied to all things that are derived from vegetable sources, so nuts, veggies... gotta manage.

Millet is not crushed like oats as far as I have seen, always little individual seeds, and buckwheat - individual berries. Dunno more than that about it.

I am not a fan of oats, but buckwheat and millet taste really nice, particular if you take your time to roast buckwheat. They are lovely added to soups (thick fish soup with millet; buckwheat imo the best grain ever paired with meat & gravy like goulash or beefstorganoff). I also happen to dislike the taste and texture of sweet potatoes. So, individual preferences.

Again, I do not think it is necessary to eat it, or it should be consumed daily, instead of salmon or eggs, but for flavor and texture, there is no reason not to add a handful once in a while.

You use tapioca, rice, corn flour, potatoes in your own cooking... why not millet and buckwheat? Don't see the reason in your responce.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-03-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I really don't think the OP is talking about eating a significant amount of grains, in fact he says he does not eat wheat. Plenty of primal folks eat dairy and I don't see how dairy could have amounted to much in the Paleo diet. Not to mention ancient forms of fruit; talk about different from modern fruit! Ancient apples were more likely eaten for the fat and protein found in the larva that lived in the fruit.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Good point as there are bagels, cereals, muffins, and a whole host of other high carb options that can be substituted as desired/required....

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    OP, eat whatever you want. But Paleo and Primal are like brand names, they are what their authors say they are. If you intentionally cook with grains, you are not "paleo" or "primal" - that's just accuracy. But, eat what you want, I certainly do. If you want to make your own version, go ahead but call it something different.

The anthropological evidence as I understand it says pretty clearly that grains in any form were no more than a tiny portion of our diet until agriculture came around,so in other words we did not substantially evolve to eat grains, unlike, say, small birds. Nutritionally, grains are pretty poor. The science seems to indicate that gluten in particular is really bad for people, some more than others. All of that seems pretty uncontroversial. But if you want to throw some barley in your soup, go ahead dude. More power to ya. It's your food in the end.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast