Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole grains in small measures are perfectly paleo. page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    @ warmbear's post
    OK, but you're not a HG just barely making caloric ends meet. You are an overweight modern guy trying to lose weight. As such you need to make sure that every calorie you consume is the most nutrient dense possible. Grains are not nutrient dense. Never have been never will be. They give you calories to subsist on, sure. But they are not optimal nutrition. (Never mind all the What Would Grok Do? stuff)

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It's not romancing Grok to make the simple observation that few modern or ancient hunger gatherers consumed grains on a regular basis. What they ate is the basis of what causes a food to be categorized as "paleo". What is safe, nutritious or advantageous to eat falls in another category. That other category could be "primal" or "archevore" or "Weston A. Price" or what have you. That doesn't make eating grains bad or good. Just not paleo.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Paleo/Primal diet as a way to identify and consume foods that lead to optimal health and performance based on the analysis of the natural human diet, and allowing neolitic additions that did not change the nourishing quality is one way to look at it.
    +1

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    @ warmbear's post
    OK, but you're not a HG just barely making caloric ends meet. You are an overweight modern guy trying to lose weight. As such you need to make sure that every calorie you consume is the most nutrient dense possible. Grains are not nutrient dense. Never have been never will be. They give you calories to subsist on, sure. But they are not optimal nutrition. (Never mind all the What Would Grok Do? stuff)
    i think it's also worth noting that whatever grains, seeds and nuts grok may have happened upon had very little in common with the hybrid, fast-growing, easy processing stuff that almost never spoils. ya know... the stuff on our supermarket shelves.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i think it's also worth noting that whatever grains, seeds and nuts grok may have happened upon had very little in common with the hybrid, fast-growing, easy processing stuff that almost never spoils. ya know... the stuff on our supermarket shelves.
    Exactly. Theres no point in debating wether or not they ate grains. It doesnt matter. Grains in the 20th century have changed so much and as a result become so toxic to us. read "wheat belly".

If you think for one second that stuff is primal your dead wrong and have no idea what primal is.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I'm coming around to the way of thinking that 'paleo' and 'primal' are excellent ways of helping us to eliminate frankenfoods from our diet (sucrose, gluten, PUFAs).

Although it's easier to draw the line on 'all cereals' than it is with gluten, I think that the case against oats for example is far less firm than that against wheat (which is why we still give our kids porridge for breakfast several times a week).

Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    In my opinion, if you have no intolerances, allergies or symptoms by eating those and you are active and healthy then eat them; I went further and reintroduced pasta every once in a while.
    I find that pasta tastes like cardboard now.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 08-02-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hey Warmbear,

Seems like a lot of people are missing the point and focusing on the "diet" part of paleo. First off kudos to you for doing such a great job. My husband is a lot like you in that he is curious about how paleo people actually lived, he's gone so far as hunted, learned to flintknapp and has grown ancient wheat. He has always maintained that small amounts of grain were part of the diet, like you said added to stews and soups to extend the meal. It makes sense that there would have been some consumption of grain prior to full on agriculture.

I am looking forward to watching the video you linked to. Gotta go now we're off to forage blackberries.

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    For immediate weight loss in a primal context, I think anyone should eliminate all the grains. This will help shed that initial water weight and hopefully get the body in fat-burning mode.

After that, continue with the PB, but if you're lifting a good deal, I think adding things like white rice after workouts is good. And others will disagree, that's fine. And heck, it could be a part of the 20%.
    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Grains at best add nothing to your regular nutrient profile compared to real food.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    They cannot be eaten raw, off the plant w/o removing layers of husk. I do not believe these items would've been recognized as food.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast