Thread: 17 weeks in and have been stuck on my weight page

rrich49132 is offline Member

17 weeks in and have been stuck on my weight

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    I have posted a few times and am now at week 17 roughly and started out at 195 lbs and and now down to 182 lbs. I have been at this weight of about 2 months or so. I still carry weight around my mid section but obviously it has been reduced since I started this. I am not that concerned with overall weight honestly as I am in a strength and conditioning class and have some muscle but can't seem to get the defined mid section which is what my overall goal is. I obviously am staying on course but we all want results. I am thinking this is going to be a 6-12 month process to get to where I want to be? I know people have an amazing results but most of them started in a state that was much worse than me.

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    The less you have to lose the harder it becomes to lose it. I'm not there yet but I know my own weight loss has slowed and I've hit plateaus. Just keep motivation up and I'm sure you'll get there.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i hear tale that a defined midsection is all about hormone responses.

IF ( in deference to ChacoTaco and Chiobanon and the Gang) you are following the Primal Blueprint properly and not seeing the results you want, it MAY be worth looking at a few specific indicators to see wher they are before assuming that primal isnt working for you

Hormones that may cause stubborn fat. ( in the order that i would check them in )

Vitamin D
    Cortisol
    and then
    Testosterone, Free (Direct), Serum With Total Testosterone
    Dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
    Estradiol
    Sex Hormone-binding Globulin, Serum
    and then
    Pregnenolone, Mass Spectrometry
    Progesterone
    Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Sulfate
    Insulin-like Growth Factor 1
    Luteinizing Hormone (LH)

and NO and then. :-)

if they are not in the top quartile of results fix them
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

I have no clue about this hormone stuff as how can I test out these things?

missblue is offline Senior Member
    I appreciate that it gets frustrating when you stall but I've watched so many threads of people "tweaking" the program and actually making things worse or getting so obsessed it seems like life takes a back seat to the details of Primal.

I had a long stall of three months before I started losing again. It's taken a lifetime to get this way, so maybe your body will take six months or a year or so to begin to "normalize" and really fully heal. I just quit weighing and kept working the program--I exercised and concentrated on the sleeping, less stress, more fun and put in some more sprint sessions.

You may still need to do something after that such as cut calories, carb refeed, IF, etc. etc. etc. but since no one on this list really knows your endocrine system, or even has absolute understanding of what protocal should be for each individual based on numbers you get, why try to problem solve so early in the game? Anyway, congrats on you loss and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rrich49132 View Post
    I have no clue about this hormone stuff as how can I test out these things?
    Blood work from a lab.

These are the simple things to look at to make certain you dont have a problem that time wont fix.

i agree with Missblue, we just approach it differently. I spent 40 years not looking, mostly because i assumed my MD of 30 years knew more than i did. He told me to eat less and work out more and keep on keeping on. it was not until one of his advices caused me to gain 100 pounds in 60 days that I woke the frak up and realized that if i didnt do the "work" myself i would never heal. In this case the "Work" was learning enough about my own body to correct the situation.

I have removed over 150 pounds with almost zero exercise and removed 125 of those pounds within 9 months. My personal experience is that when you apply accurate knowledge to a problem results come rapidly.

I have no experience with those "last 15 pounds" so i propose no advice for them. However 17 weeks tells me... "ur duin it rong". That doesn't mean you are not following the rule, but it does mean that something MAY be going on that you have not accounted for.

DIG, find it, address it.

As my solution required learning about the hormone chain, the endocrine system and the relationship between insulin and glucose ( as well as the relationship between the worm and the spice) I tend to give advice to check those things to persons like yourself who "claim" they are following the rules and finding poor to no results.

My advice is just that advice. my father says to "consider the source and give it that much attention". Primal is about Maintaining health mostly. It cannot address alone situations where broken extends to endocrine or true metabolic dysfunction, be it genetic (raises hand) or acquired (failure to shut the cake hole )

I appreciate the sentiment that if you follow primal and do it right you will succeed, i dont post to alot of threads because my healthier and "skinnier" kin have already provided just that advice, and it needs to be heeded. however i disagree that it should be the end all and be all, look under the hood and make certain.if you find nothing you are out a couple of hundred bucks and know without fail that you need to shut your cake hole. Or as Bill Cosby said " you just might learn something before its done, HEY HEY HEY"

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

I do go to the Doctor once a year and last time was about 4 months ago and all the standard stuff they check in terms of blood work came back in range outside of a low Vitamin D deficiency. I keep thinking that people dont get in shape overnight nor do people get fat the same way so if I just stay on course I will get to where I want to. In the past I would of given up saying why deprive myself of things I like to eat if eliminating them does not result in me looking the weigh I want to. For he most part I don't crave mashed potatoes, rice, bread, deserts and such.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, at just 17 weeks in I'd give it time while you keep doing the right stuff. Mark does have a few posts on weight loss plateaus that are worth checking out. I had stalled a bit at about 17 weeks, then upped my walking and the weight started coming off again. I'm 48, 6'-2" and about 176 (down from 190 in January), with a pretty big frame and fairly muscular, but with some padding on the middle. I think to get to, say, 170, where I can see those abs better, may take longer than getting to 176. I'm not going to stress about it, but I'll probably make sure I sprint every 7 days and keep those workouts intense...and keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by rrich49132 View Post
    ....low Vitamin D.....
    Fix that

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506