Thread: Butternut squash smoothie - using the leftover pulp page

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member

Smile Butternut squash smoothie - using the leftover pulp

Shop Now
    Good morning!

For breakfast I chopped up a huge butternut squash to roast in the oven. After scooping out all the pulp and seeds, I picked out all the seeds to roast later, and I was left with the stringy pulp. It was a big pile so I hated to just throw it out. So, I put the mass of leftover pulp in my blender, added 8 oz of milk and two bananas, and pureed it into a smoothie. It has the color of an orange creamsicle and it's surprisingly good, and the squash pulp is pretty nutritious and full of fiber. I just wanted to share in case any of you hate to throw away the squash pulp as well. Plus, using all parts of something is always nice to do.

Butternut Squash-Banana Smoothie

Pulp from 1 butternut squash (any seed bits picked out - save all the seeds to roast!)
    2 bananas (I had to add a 2nd because with just 1 banana it was too "squashy")
    8 oz milk (or whatever else you want)

Put in blender. Puree. Drink.

Jenny

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. Is the pulp mostly fiber or is it starchy too? Did it disrupt the texture of the smoothie at all?

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    Interesting. Is the pulp mostly fiber or is it starchy too? Did it disrupt the texture of the smoothie at all?
    I'm not sure, really! I would have to say mostly fiber. I pureed the mixture well so it was totally smooth textured.