Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sporadic fitness all day long (grazing) VS. daily "all-at-once" workout page

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member

sporadic fitness all day long (grazing) VS. daily "all-at-once" workout

I know someone who is trying to workout throughout the entire day.
    10 pushups here, 10 pullups there.

Over the course of an entire day, this will translate to 100's of reps per day.
    This is a lot more than you'd ever do in a single traditional workout.

Has there been research on this type of fitness?

All I ever saw was this recent one relating to heart disease and multiple 10 mins workouts
    The 10-Minute Workout, Times Three
    The 10-Minute Workout, Times Three - NYTimes.com

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I know someone who is trying to workout throughout the entire day.
    10 pushups here, 10 pullups there.
    I would take this approach every time rather than do 1 hr in the gym but sit on my arse for the rest of the day.

I'm sure they covered this topic in the BBC Horizon doc "The Truth About Exercise" that was shown a few months ago. BBC Two - Horizon, 2011-2012, The Truth About Exercise
    IIRC they equipped 3 people with sensors to monitor their activity level (in terms of steps taken). One was a waitress, one was a business-guy who went to the gym every day, can't remember who the third was. Naturally the waitress, who was on her feet all day, had the highest overall activity level.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Spreading your reps throughout the day can be very effective, especially for bodyweight training. Do a google search for "Greasing The Groove" and you will find lots of info on this training method.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I can't state a source, but I have heard it is beneficial.

I havent for awhile, but I had a little routine after I went to the bathroom, it was the one place I was alone and could take a few minutes for myself. I was drinking lots of water, so I was able to get numerous little sets in

I did a set of squats, calf raises, wall push-ups. I should start doing that again.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I do 10 pushups as fast as I can on the hour every hour at work. I keep track on my whiteboard and usually by the end of the day I've got anywhere from 60-90 pushups.

I never considered that the pushups could be beneficial from a fitness standpoint; I just do them to stay awake. 10 pushups fast is like a shot of espresso. When you work in a windowless office for The Man, you gotta do something to keep yourself from going insane.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    If you think about it this way, it does make sense: Grok would have been moving around all day, sporadically hunting or lifting heavy things or practicing hunting techniques or climbing or wrestling...I tend to do skill practice for different things throughout the day. Handstands, levers, planche pushups, wall climbs, kip-ups, clutch flags, tree climbing, etc. I do a full workout for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour 5 days a week though.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I do 10 pushups as fast as I can on the hour every hour at work. I keep track on my whiteboard and usually by the end of the day I've got anywhere from 60-90 pushups.

I never considered that the pushups could be beneficial from a fitness standpoint; I just do them to stay awake. 10 pushups fast is like a shot of espresso. When you work in a windowless office for The Man, you gotta do something to keep yourself from going insane.
    I wish I had a windowless office, I would totally do this. Unfortunately by office is mainly glass with blinders I cannot keep shut. Clients/colleagues will think I have gone off the wall if I just dropped and starting doing pushups..sigh.

I was actually thinking about this method but for walking. I am allowed to go for short walks whenever I want to "think", so I was thinking if I go for like 4 "10 minutes" walk during the day, if that is as beneficial or more or less beneficial than doing a 40 minute walk at once.

I would like to figure out a way to incorporate a strength training routine though, maybe calf raises and squats in the bathroom.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post

Over the course of an entire day, this will translate to 100's of reps per day.
    This is a lot more than you'd ever do in a single traditional workout.
    When I do body workouts I do 300-350 in half an hour.

Anyway. I had a pull up bar in my door way and every time i got up i would do like 5 or so. never to failure. I think it helped.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    I work up 3 flights of stairs, so I to go up and down them several times a day. I try to lock myself in the ground look toilet a couple of times a day and do about 10. Squats and 10 wall push ups. I also go for a walk most lunch hrs.
    The Building Managers always laugh when I walk past as they know I like to wander.
    My excuse it is good for my health and improves my productivity.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I see the point of this type of 'greasing the groove' working out, gets you used to the movement, and it's probably really good for maintaing a fitness level.
    But if you want to increase total amount of say, pull-ups, is it better to go to failure 2 or 3 times with a short rest of say 2 mins between sets, then rest a couple of days to let the muscles rebuild stonger, then either go back to 'greasing the grove' till it's been a week and repeat the max reps to failure, or just do another max reps till failure as soon as the soreness has gone?

I have found that if I just knock out a couple of pull-ups here and there through the day I never really get sore the next day and I'm not convinced my strenght is improving unless I'm getting some DOMS to show I've worked hard enought to need to get stronger (rather sore in my abs, pecks and biceps today )
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast