Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what age is it good to skip breakfast? page

campanella is offline Senior Member

At what age is it good to skip breakfast?

Primal Fuel
    So I know Mark has written before about kids and fasting, saying that kids should have a steady food supply. About teens, he has commented that his son simply eats so much it would be difficult for him to fast and still consume his calorie allotment.
    For 15, maybe 16 years, if the child is not highly active, is fasting - even so little as skipping breakfast every day - beneficial or harmful?

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I think it may depend on the reason for fasting. Truly not hungry? Beneficial. Not waking up in time to eat and not getting enough calories? Harmful.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    No, IF is not recommended for growing kids or teens.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    I think teeneagers fasting would be a bad idea. I would probably have been ok fasting at 22-23 or so. Not younger.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    I stopped eating breakfast as a teen and didn't pick it up again until I was in my 30s. I just didn't care to eat that early and my mom was never on me about it b/c I usually ate something at first recess at school. It was just how my body rolled.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Because of my own reference point (n=1), I don't like the idea of forcing a child to eat. Especially a teen. When I think of all the glasses of Instant Breakfast I swallowed as a teen just to shut my parents up, I get sorta pissed.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    No, IF is not recommended for growing kids or teens.
    Pfft. Think again. Kids are GREAT intuitive eaters. My kids eat two meals a day almost every day. They eat large meals and don't snack. Probably in part because we don't force feed em. If they are hungry they can eat, and if not we don't make em.

However, I can see my kids growth spurts coming a mile away (3 and 5 year old). At these times they seem to double their food intake, but still may only eat two meals. Very infrequently do they want a third meal in a day.

Like I said great intuitive eaters....and intuitively they IF on their own. Until we were tricked into thinking we need more meals a day we probably were all more like this.

All that said food is available to my kids. They just choose to eat two large meals. I don't think you should force a kid to eat....or to fast. But even as a teenager it ain't gonna kill em to go hungry once in a while. With teenagers I would be more suspect of the motives. Is it cause they just aint hungry and eat all their calories at a couple meals, or is it some misguided approach to lose weight and look like a cover model.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-01-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    " Kids are GREAT intuitive eaters."

This!

Kids should eat when they are hungry not some externally derived feeding schedule. That way the grow up learning to listen to what their body needs. They should also not be encouraged to "diet."

If the child/teen is inactive perhaps engaging them in activities you both could share might be beneficial in more than one way.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    I flat out refused to eat one more breakfast when I was 13.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    My kids are good intuitive eaters too. Some mornings the just can't force down a meal and I let them pack it with them to school. Their school is very open to letting kids eat intuitively. Some days they eat maybe a few bites of their lunch at school, then finish it as soon as they come home, followed by a hefty snack and dinner 3 hours later. And dessert. So yes, *occasionally* one of them might IF for 6 hours. Its not deliberate, and they more than make up for the calories within 24 hours.

When they're active they eat more in a day. Some days they graze, some days they cram it all into two meals and a a couple of snacks. They know they can eat as much fruits and veggies as they can 'forage' in the kitchen and I know they're truly hungry when they help themselves. When we have lazy days they barely eat anything (unless the lazy turns to boredom).
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast