Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The California treatment page 7

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    as somebody who has dealt with thousands and thousands of pleasure-tourists and people who travel extensivley for business, i have lost track of how many times somebody from elsewhere has expressed surprised at how friendly and helpful bostonians were. -shrugs-

it's a fast-paced, crowded city, and yes, some folks, myself included, may be more guarded around strangers, for what to me, anyway, seem obvious reasons. i'm a small female who has been assaulted, ok? i also am an absolute weirdo-magnet lol, but that's a bit ot, lol. i will still offer help to people wresting with those cartoon maps and happily take somebody's picture in front of paul revere's house.

this is the same kind of thing i hear abut paris. that everybody sucks, sucks, sucks. this has not been my experience on any of my trips there. are they dripping fake honey like a diner waitress in alabama? no, thank effing god. but i have always been treated politely and fairly, even by cabbies.

honestly, i love my city and i love new england. so suck it. :P
    so you'll be nice to apparent tourists, but not the average person you pass on the street? guarded is one thing. i can see where you're coming from, and would never fault you for that. but are you really not willing to admit that bostonians are rude/cold towards others? i've seriously never heard anyone say that bostonians were friendly. like, never. in fact, everyone i ever tell that i lived there pretty much meets me with the same reply: "how the hell did you live there for 4 years? those people are awful." maybe the rude actions just seem normal to you because you've been surrounded by them for a while. i dunno. there's no shame in admitting this. nobody is saying that YOU are that way. i'm not saying that EVERY SINGLE bostonian is that way. it's just.. a different kind of place

question: do you think that i'm totally coming out of left field with this? like, have you ever heard anyone say this before, or is this the first time? because i actually think its a cultural thing. like, the culture of bostonians is just that way. so i truly don't think it stands out to them, but i think it is blatantly obvious to outsiders.
    Last edited by not on the rug; 08-03-2012 at 02:10 PM.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    I've found a bit of bias on people that live in "flyover states" by metros (w/e the term is)
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

joe2.0 is offline Member
    I live in the Nashville area and Nissan moved their hq here in the recent past. That combined with people escaping the high taxes, cost of living nightmare and social policy issues--a lot of Californians have moved here. Have a few neighbors. They all mostly love it here, so they must be being treated well. They especially appreciate how much house they can get for compariable money here as opposed to Cal.
    Last edited by joe2.0; 08-03-2012 at 02:45 PM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    They especially appreciate how much house they can get for compariable money here as opposed to Cal.
    That's what most people hate the most about Californians. You should see the million dollar hovel I lived in. You can get way more house just going to Sacramento. I mean WAY more house. We're talking mansion compared to the fixer-upper I live in.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That's what most people hate the most about Californians. You should see the million dollar hovel I lived in. You can get way more house just going to Sacramento. I mean WAY more house. We're talking mansion compared to the fixer-upper I live in.
    Yes but you have a view of the ocean through your avocado trees. Who wants to live in Sacramento?

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I grew up in San Diego, and headed north. I live in Northern CA now (2 hours above Sacramento) and there is Southern CA bias (mainly because of the water that's sent south). California is a great state. There are great places to hike, Disneyland, beaches, skiing. That being said, California politcally speaking, sucks. I have been planning to leave the state for YEARS, just because of the political climate, which is mostly controlled by Southern CA (more people).

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    My biggest pet peeve is that EVERYBODY EVERYWHERE says various locations have the "worst drivers". Awful drivers are everywhere, quit picking on the Northeast. I'm a damn good driver!

Why all the Boston-hate? [edit] Okay I went back and read some of that nonsense. I think people in tight-city areas (NYC and Boston) tend to be more guarded simply because of population density and the higher crime rates that come with that. I'm no analyst though, just guessing.

I guess I'm technically not a Bostonian, I live in a historical suburb of Boston, but the Greater Boston Area tends to ally itself that way.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 08-06-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My biggest pet peeve is that EVERYBODY EVERYWHERE says various locations have the "worst drivers". Awful drivers are everywhere, quit picking on the Northeast. I'm a damn good driver!

Why all the Boston-hate?
    i agree with you on the drivers thing. there are awful drivers everywhere. in cities/metro-areas, there are just more awful drivers crammed in to a smaller space.

as for the boston hate, really? are you a native? because if you are, odds are, you just don't see it unless someone points it out to you. have you ever lived anywhere else?

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I have to say, I feel like people from the Northeast that move to the South bitch about it and are mean. I'm sorry you can't find good pizza or bagels. Go eat some biscuits and BBQ. If you hate NASCAR, we have a symphony, galleries, a pro football and basketball team, a golf tournament, a whitewater training center. Concerts do come here. They also complain about the "pace" of people. But then wax poetic about the better quality of life down here.... ?

I feel bad for Californians. The Real Housewives don't reflect kindly on you.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    I mean, yes, I've heard of people hating on New England and Massholes plenty over the course of my life. I've never lived out of state, but I've traveled. I've never been treated poorly (even in Maine, and I've gone there a lot) by telling people I'm from Boston. They usually just remark that I don't have an accent. I just don't understand why people pick on that area more than others, or that's how it seems here. Maybe it's just because most people here on the forums are not from the NE area so it's more concentrated.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast