Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The California treatment page 6

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    santa rosan (n. Californian) here. I'm prejudiced against southern californians; bunch of water-stealing, purse-poodled botox injectors.
    +1 lol
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Blanchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Subjective, yes. Most definitely. Isolated, no. The average attitude of the average bostonian on the street is the worst i've encountered anywhere in the country. Very rude, cold and distant. Angry at the world. Worse than new york. Worse than LA. Worse than chicago. There is juat a general bad feeling in that city and the whole metro area. And i know a ton of people who agree. People from all over the country. Hell, on of my best buddies bleeds boston: loves the sox, has pats season tix, never misses a bruins or celts game. But he HATES living there because of the people. Unfortunately for him, his wife won't leave. So he is stuck.

Sorry if it offends you. Maybe you dont see it. But boston people kinda suck. Maybe you're just one of the good ones.
    I'm with you, Dude. I lived there for a little while after college- and I will never do it again. I did meet a few that I am still friends with, but for the most part, the people there were incredibly unfriendly. HAHA Once I saw someone in an intersection goose it through a red light and cut off a cyclist (nearly nailing him in the process), and then act like it was the cyclist's fault.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    thanks for having my back people. i was beginning to think i was alone here.

@cori.. i agree with you actually. for the most part, i never have had any bad experiences with people in NYC, and i've also found them to be helpful and courteous.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Funny. The lowest common denominator in any set of experiences is you. Go in expecting certain treatment or attitudes and you'll probably find them. So traveling to Boston or NYC with a chip on your shoulder, ready to do battle with the rude masses probably sets you up for exactly the treatment you're looking for. Subtle defensive body language, lack of a smile, unfriendly tone of voice will all be met with coldness or hostility. I learned this the hard way. Now I try to expect that total strangers will offer me cute puppies and guess what...? They practically do. It's a two way street I find.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'll tell you one thing, people in Santa Barbara are not friendly. They seem friendly on the surface but you will never make any close friends here. Nobody stays. Everybody is just passing through. Of those who do stay, like me, since everybody is just passing through for a few years at most, there's no point in bothering to get to know anybody very well. I've always joked that living in Santa Barbara is great because you will eventually meet everybody in the whole world because everybody comes through eventually. Anyway, the way to have friends in Santa Barbara is to get involved in activities and then just be casual friends with everybody in that activity, not caring too much about the individuals, just see people as kind of interchangeable and temporary. Kinda shallow I guess, but that's how to make it work.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    Funny. The lowest common denominator in any set of experiences is you. Go in expecting certain treatment or attitudes and you'll probably find them. So traveling to Boston or NYC with a chip on your shoulder, ready to do battle with the rude masses probably sets you up for exactly the treatment you're looking for. Subtle defensive body language, lack of a smile, unfriendly tone of voice will all be met with coldness or hostility. I learned this the hard way. Now I try to expect that total strangers will offer me cute puppies and guess what...? They practically do. It's a two way street I find.
    i completely hear what you're saying on this one. however, i've never had such experiences anywhere else i've traveled or lived. so i think the lcd is bostonians. i'm super friendly, polite and easy to get along with. i'm helpful and approachable in public. it's not uncommon for me to strike up conversations with people in the grocery store every week, or while taking my dogs for a walk every day. in the metro-boston area, this type of behavior is shunned. hold a door for someone and see if you get a thank you...not likely. strike up a convo at a trader joes, and people look at you like you have 2 heads. i can't tell you how many times i literally watched people close doors in peoples' faces and then laugh about it. or watch someone trip and drop their stuff and walk right by laughing the whole time. and furthermore, i didn't go in to living there with any preconceived negative notions. in fact, i had wanted to move there since i was 15. i had this romanticized idea of boston in my head that was fully squashed about 6 months after i moved there. the funny thing is, after pointing this attitude out to many of the friends i met/made in boston, they told me that i was right and that they never realized bostonians acted that way because it was just so "normal" for them. i have in-laws and friends come to visit and stay with us all the time, and they always hate returning to boston because where i live "everyone is just so nice."

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    My two best friends are Californians so using the 'some of my best friends are <insert ethnic minority here>' logic I apparently hate all Californians. That said, I imagine it is much like most places where what one thinks/hears is far from the reality. Growing up I thought all Californians were pot smoking hippies doing their best to piss on traditional values while trying to spread their high taxes and loose morals over the rest of the land. Then I got older and figured out that loose morals were a hell of a lot more fun than being an uptight prick, so hey, Californians are not all bad. That said, every time Nancy Peolsi talks I pray for a large earthquake. Luckily God doesn't listen to me.

I treat all people with equal contempt so charging Californians more seems shady as hell to me. I've also found the majority of Californians to be decent people. You also make some of the best beer in the country. So California has much going for it. Then again, when you are 30000000 billion in the red, paying however many billion for high speed rail no one wants, and everything is labeled to give you cancer it does make you some what amusing to the rest of us or perhaps that is just me.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, but we can buy raw milk legally here. So there.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    as somebody who has dealt with thousands and thousands of pleasure-tourists and people who travel extensivley for business, i have lost track of how many times somebody from elsewhere has expressed surprised at how friendly and helpful bostonians were. -shrugs-

it's a fast-paced, crowded city, and yes, some folks, myself included, may be more guarded around strangers, for what to me, anyway, seem obvious reasons. i'm a small female who has been assaulted, ok? i also am an absolute weirdo-magnet lol, but that's a bit ot, lol. i will still offer help to people wresting with those cartoon maps and happily take somebody's picture in front of paul revere's house.

this is the same kind of thing i hear abut paris. that everybody sucks, sucks, sucks. this has not been my experience on any of my trips there. are they dripping fake honey like a diner waitress in alabama? no, thank effing god. but i have always been treated politely and fairly, even by cabbies.

honestly, i love my city and i love new england. so suck it. :P
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ė Ernest Hemingway

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post

this is the same kind of thing i hear abut paris. that everybody sucks, sucks, sucks. this has not been my experience on any of my trips there. are they dripping fake honey like a diner waitress in alabama? no, thank effing god. but i have always been treated politely and fairly, even by cabbies.P
    Ugh - Paris. I had such a rotten time there, the only reason to go back is for the museums. I have a childhood friend who ended up studying for a while at the Sorbonne - so another of my old crew and I went to see him. At that point in my life I was living in Germany, on the economy (not military), so I had a lot of the Euro look about me and knew enough not to make the typical obnoxious American tourist-type mistakes. My friend has a very good grasp of French (the dude finished his study with honors), so he was tagged to play translator. We couldn't get a single Parisian to look us in the face, much less answer a question posed in honest inquiry. The waiters were surly. The Metro smelled of piss. The gendarmerie were the only ones we could turn to when we got lost once, and they couldn't wait to get rid of us. I could just go on and on.

I don't care if half the world thinks Paris is romantic - it sucked. I even asked two French friends about it 'cause I was just so shocked - a coworker from the north of France, and a friend from Lyon - and both told me, on separate occasions, that the Parisians are that way to anybody French outside of Paris as well.

I am glad you got better treatment. For my money, I'll take Brussels, or Copenhagen, or Budapest, or Amsterdam, or Luxembourg City, or any other European capital before that one again - not in all my travels have I had a worse consistent experience with the locals.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast