Thread: Moving Overseas page

paul119 is offline Senior Member

Moving Overseas

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

I'm moving overseas to Turkey at the end of the month and am trying to come up with a list of food items to bring with me. So far, I've thought of the following:

1. Coconut Oil

2. Good Coffee (Coffee comes in three forms in Turkey: Instant, Brewed, and Turkish Kahve. From what I've seen, the only available coffee to brew in Turkey is Starbucks.)

3. Sea Salt

Any other ideas as to what I should bring that may not be available for purchase in a foreign country? Any supplements to recommend?

Thanks!

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Where ever you go there you are.
    Neat thing about travel is seeing how humans from different areas enjoy life.
    It is still earth and food will be handy.

I thought the Turks were known for coffee?

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Do they let you bring pork products into the country?

We are considering moving to a muslim country in the near future, and the thought of going without my morning bacon is a little disapointing, but I'm sure I'll figure out other suitable options. When we lived in Qatar we had some friends who would bring frozen packs of bacon in from overseas, but you wouldn't want to get caught. I've never been to Turkey, so I'm not sure what their stance on pork is?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you should be able to find all three in turkey.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    So you are actually going to live there? Then I wouldn't take anything. It's better to learn how to get good food there
    Billie trips balls

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I visit Turkey regularly for business, and I have been able to find just about everything I've needed over there. Definitely take some coconut oil, I haven't found that yet. I also can never find any good cigars over there, but that's a who;e different rant. Bacon isn't a problem, you can get it there. Taking sea salt with you is a good idea, at least you'll have some until you figure out where you'll be shopping and what's available to you.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Stock up on supplements you're taking, all of them. (Magnesium, Vitamin D3, probiotics, Vitamin C, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Chromium Picolinate, etc. whatever you're taking.) Even here in Vienna, it's difficult to find supplements so I still order all of mine from the US. They just don't have the US equivalents available, or are difficult to find.

I bought a huge jar of coconut oil at a health food store. If you're going to a major city, you'll most likely be able to find it in a specialty store. So save yourself the weight and get it here in the EU.

The Turks are known for their coffee. Why bring yours?

Pack odd-ball, hard to find things, like seaweed, or sea veggis.

But FIRSTLY! check the customs regulations for Turkey. You don't want to show up with things in your luggage that the Turkish customs guys will just confiscate. Unless, of course, you're doing a consumables shippment. In that case, talk to your shipper and ask what they'll allow you to bring into the country.

You can do prep work in advance, by looking up key primal phrases in Turkish. (Stop by your local University to see if they'll verify your translations for you.) You know, like "grass-fed", "organic" etc. I've pasted the symbol for organic in the EU below, so if you see products in Turkey with that symbol, you know that the food meets EU organic standards.

Have fun in Turkey.

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Organic (at least in the EU) doesn't mean that it's gras-fed. As far as I know the animals have to have access to pastures, but they are fed (organic) grains mostly. Of course better than standard CAFO meat, with less antibiotics etc. But you might find grass-fed meat that is not certified as organic, because the farmers have to pay to be "organic", and many small farmers have even better meat and / or vegetables without the organic label.