Thread: Sudden nut allergy page

TLoRu is offline Senior Member

Sudden nut allergy

Wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. A bit of background, I just completed a whole60 last month and have remained strict paleo with occasional heavy cream w coffee. I've never experienced any nut allergies before, but the last 3 wks or so have been eye opening.

I've narrowed it down to an occasional handful of nuts..... I get ridiculous stomach pains that have me doubled over in pain and in tears. It feels better w pressure (I through myself over my ottoman) and mint tea. It usually passes with an hr or two.

I've searched the forums and paleohacks and all signs point to the almond, cashew, pecan mix. I've never had issues before, so why now??? I don't eat them everyday nor do I overindulge. I'm fine w giving them up, but would love to know where this spurred from!? Any ideas

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I've heard of that kind of thing happening when you cut a certain food group out for a while. When you could eat them without problems before, you may have just gotten used to the low level inflammation/irritation the nuts were causing. Your gut lining could be damaged. Perhaps if it heals after a period of time you may be able to reintroduce nuts without a problem.

mystifiedu is offline Member

sudden nut allergy

Quote Originally Posted by TLoRu View Post
    Wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. A bit of background, I just completed a whole60 last month and have remained strict paleo with occasional heavy cream w coffee. I've never experienced any nut allergies before, but the last 3 wks or so have been eye opening.

I've narrowed it down to an occasional handful of nuts..... I get ridiculous stomach pains that have me doubled over in pain and in tears. It feels better w pressure (I through myself over my ottoman) and mint tea. It usually passes with an hr or two.

I've searched the forums and paleohacks and all signs point to the almond, cashew, pecan mix. I've never had issues before, so why now??? I don't eat them everyday nor do I overindulge. I'm fine w giving them up, but would love to know where this spurred from!? Any ideas
    you might find this article interesting for allergies and sensitivities
    Healing Reactions Versus Allergic Reactions

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I developed a nut intolerance after about a year of eating primal. The same symptoms as you - horrible gut pain after eating them. I avoided them for about 6 months. Now I can eat them again in small quantities but not in the amounts I used to.

They are quite high in lectins and can cause gut inflammation.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Something similar has happened to me! When I started Primal I was veggie, so I literally went nuts... on nuts. Eating 300gs a day sometimes. Suddenly my face started to blow up whenever I ate them. Now if I eat more than, say seven, nuts my face gets totally bloated for a few days.

I've also developed an allergy to scallions!!!

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So glad to hear I'm not alone. Ive totally laid off the nuts and took dairy out of the picture again ( I was only using a drop of cream in coffee anyway). I've noticed NO stomach aches at all!

I also started eating breakfast again, and not such a heavy lunch. I got into working out early and not having time for breakfast. I don't think my stomach could handle it.

Thanks for the insight!