Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting to quickly convert to Fat-Burning? Anyone? page

MinimalMe is offline Junior Member

Fasting to quickly convert to Fat-Burning? Anyone?

Just wondering here. Consensus seems to be that it takes time to covert to fat-burning from sugar-burning, maybe two-three weeks. Can a multi-day fast speed that up? I ask because in college I did a 7-day fast, while teaching martial arts, running, and maintaining a full workout schedule. Since I was able to do that, I assume I switched to fat-burning somewhere within those 7 days. (Surely I didn't have enough glycogen stores for 7 active days.) No hunger at all after day 3, no hunger at day 7. IF this works, and switches you to fat-burning, what are the indicators to let you know you've switched over? The no hunger point maybe? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    it is basically the time required to deplete you of stored glycogen and the demand on your liver to produce ketytone bodies to replace the lack.

i used coconut oil to jumpstart the ketone production
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

jakey is offline Senior Member
    if you're not shooting for ketosis, which does take some adaptation, i think it's pretty damn easy to 'switch' to fat burning. because we all burn fat - your body knows how to do it already, or you would be dead. so if you eat more fat, and less carb, you will burn more fat and less carb. hold your carbs at around 100 grams a day, and you'll be in fat burning mode without the hassle of keto-adaptation.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    if you're not shooting for ketosis, which does take some adaptation, i think it's pretty damn easy to 'switch' to fat burning. because we all burn fat - your body knows how to do it already, or you would be dead. so if you eat more fat, and less carb, you will burn more fat and less carb. hold your carbs at around 100 grams a day, and you'll be in fat burning mode without the hassle of keto-adaptation.
    I don't completely agree with your last sentence. For SOME people, it may very well be true. Also, for many people 100 daily grams will not allow them to enter into or stay in true ketosis nor will it allow them to get to "fat burning". Some people will not burn fat til they dip to 75 or even 50 or 30 daily grams. Wide variances among people. Also, converting into being a fat burning beast is not the same as going into & holding ketosis for 7 days or just casually "fat burning". It can take much longer, depending on the person, their health & activity levels, to fully convert.
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-01-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinimalMe View Post
    Just wondering here. Consensus seems to be that it takes time to covert to fat-burning from sugar-burning, maybe two-three weeks. Can a multi-day fast speed that up? I ask because in college I did a 7-day fast, while teaching martial arts, running, and maintaining a full workout schedule. Since I was able to do that, I assume I switched to fat-burning somewhere within those 7 days. (Surely I didn't have enough glycogen stores for 7 active days.) No hunger at all after day 3, no hunger at day 7. IF this works, and switches you to fat-burning, what are the indicators to let you know you've switched over? The no hunger point maybe? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    I think that if you have never been a fat burning beast before, the first time will be a bitch and there's probably not a lot you can do to speed it up or make it easier, other than the usual things like taking some magnesium, reducing your cardio, eating more fat and other things commonly recommended. After that though, if you don't suddenly go back to your old high-carb (sugar and flour and junk food) ways, you ought to be able to easily slip back into fat-burning mode easily, and be able to speed it up with a little fast or a period of very low carb. I was able to do that for my vacation. I like to slip into low carb for a few days before I go backpacking so that my body can handle the extra exercise more easily and it always seems to work great for me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

excellent advice....

Fasting for 24 hours, drinking loads of quality water, exercising while on the fast but not too much & not lifted heavy or lots of weights, then breaking the fast with coconut or other MCT oils like sat fats like red palm . Or just sat fats from meat or fish. Doing a 80% fat diet like you are epilectic, this will push you there faster. But in the end, medium & long term habits & consistency will help you achieve & keep your "fat burning beast" goal. Let the fasting or fat fest begin... !

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I don't completely agree with your last sentence. For SOME people, it may very well be true. Also, for many people 100 daily grams will not allow them to enter into or stay in true ketosis nor will it allow them to get to "fat burning". Some people will not burn fat til they dip to 75 or even 50 or 30 daily grams. Wide variances among people. Also, converting into being a fat burning beast is not the same as going into & holding ketosis for 7 days or just casually "fat burning". It can take much longer, depending on the person, their health & activity levels, to fully convert.
    wait, i'm trying to advise the OP not to go into ketosis, just want to be clear...

the idea that you won't burn fat at 100 grams of carb a day is laughable. what, pray tell, would you be burning to sustain life?? 100 grams of carbs is 400 calories. i don't know anyone with a total daily energy expenditure of 400 calories. you have to make up the rest from somewhere, and protein alone won't get you there. so you'll burn fat. if you want to be a fat burning best, fuel yourself with fat. your system will burn what you give it, because we're really, really good at staying alive.

Paleobird Guest
    You might google the Atkins "Fat Fast" plan for a quick transition that is relatively painless.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    wait, i'm trying to advise the OP not to go into ketosis, just want to be clear...

the idea that you won't burn fat at 100 grams of carb a day is laughable. what, pray tell, would you be burning to sustain life?? 100 grams of carbs is 400 calories. i don't know anyone with a total daily energy expenditure of 400 calories. you have to make up the rest from somewhere, and protein alone won't get you there. so you'll burn fat. if you want to be a fat burning best, fuel yourself with fat. your system will burn what you give it, because we're really, really good at staying alive.
    Why? Are you anti-ketosis? I know there are ketosis bashers on MDA, so it's no big deal is you count yourself as 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You might google the Atkins "Fat Fast" plan for a quick transition that is relatively painless.
    Ah yup. I give so much credit to Dr. Atkins for forwarding the "fat is good, refined carbs/processed sugars are bad" cause so early on, & for forwarding the efficacy of, & the wisdom of inducing ketosis into the mainstream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast