Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fasting to quickly convert to Fat-Burning? Anyone? page 2

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Why? Are you anti-ketosis? I know there are ketosis bashers on MDA, so it's no big deal is you count yourself as 1...
    kinda. i won't go so far as to call myself a basher, because if it works for you & you're healthy, then by all means, go with it. the best three things you can do for your health are to take a walk each day, not be overweight, and not smoke.

but i do not think that ketosis confers any health benefits in and of itself, or any metabolic advantage. it certainly confers no performance benefits, and can come with all sorts of downsides and unwanted effects, that can take a while to manifest.

if it works for you vis a vis weightloss, stick with it. i don't like it though.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    kinda. i won't go so far as to call myself a basher, because if it works for you & you're healthy, then by all means, go with it. the best three things you can do for your health are to take a walk each day, not be overweight, and not smoke.

but i do not think that ketosis confers any health benefits in and of itself, or any metabolic advantage. it certainly confers no performance benefits, and can come with all sorts of downsides and unwanted effects, that can take a while to manifest.

if it works for you vis a vis weightloss, stick with it. i don't like it though.
    so it's your personal opinion. Coz 80 years of clinical history of its use/success w/ treating epilectics(its use begain in early 1920s but was halted in the USA in 1928 after the 1st "miracle drug" for epilectic seizures came out), It's use was continued elsewhere outside the USA, So with lots of exciting studies most recently being conducted looking into it's effectiveness in all sorts of neurological conditions, disorders & injuries I and many many other smart researchers would say you are 100% wrong. just sayin'...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis really sucks if you want to make any real gains in the gym. That's been my experience, anyway.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    so it's your personal opinion. Coz 80 years of clinical history of its use/success w/ treating epilectics(its use begain in early 1920s but was halted in the USA in 1928 after the 1st "miracle drug" for epilectic seizures came out), It's use was continued elsewhere outside the USA, So with lots of exciting studies most recently being conducted looking into it's effectiveness in all sorts of neurological conditions, disorders & injuries I and many many other smart researchers would say you are 100% wrong. just sayin'...
    i have no problem with treating epilepsy or any neurological dysfunction with a ketogenic diet! talk about a fucking red herring, man! i'm talking about adopting a ketogenic diet as a weight loss/maintenance strategy, or as part of a 'primal' lifestyle. this isn't an epilepsy sufferers forum, afterall.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Ah yup. I give so much credit to Dr. Atkins for forwarding the "fat is good, refined carbs/processed sugars are bad" cause so early on, & for forwarding the efficacy of, & the wisdom of inducing ketosis into the mainstream.
    OT I guess, but so much info is available, yet every single stinking year I would go to my doctor to see why I was gaining weight. And not once did they mention anything about anything macros and diet related. Granted I had a long list and sleep seemed to get top billing and we would work on that and never get back to the other stuff. Then the next year I would go back and the same thing. I started using a cpap and finally was sleeping, and the last time I went back about my weight, it was the Nurse Practioner. She at least referred me to some places if I wanted to get surgery. Insurance wouldnt cover it, so finally, something started to click. I think it was Dr. Oz. Seriously. At least he got me to thinking about weight loss.

Anyways, I went back this past spring just to check my numbers, and it was the same NP and she was so impressed with my weight loss and asked me what I had been doing. I mentioned trying to watch carbs and how I noticed I am hungrier when I start my day with carbs and she was like oh yal, I do much better if I eat protein in the morning with little carbs.

I was like WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME THAT SOONER??!! LIKE ALL THE YEARS I HAVE BEEN ASKING, BEGGING FOR ANSWERS! Anyways, with all this information here and there, all over the internet, I just cant believe I didnt stumble across something sooner. I guess I just wasnt ready to receive the information. I might have been exposed to it every day, I dont know, but it just wasnt registering.

Maybe blessing in disguise. Last time I was in weight loss mode, I was low to no fat everything. And lots of weight lifting. I probably would not have listened to any other way, and probably would have died from healthy heart disease or something. I was manic and probably over doing it and losing too much. Then I became PG and halted everything. Even without being PG, it was not a lifestyle, one that was sustainable for me because I never tried to go back.

Okay, I am done now
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

MinimalMe is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, looks like my question threw people off into tangential topics, but thank you Paleobird, I did read up on the fat fast and it was very helpful, starting tomorrow, after a run to the store to stock up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12