Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you crochet? page

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member

Do you crochet?

Primal Fuel
    Hey, just looking for any other crocheters out there!

I only like doing simple repetitive projects that I can do quickly. I make many, many crocheted dishcloths. I love using them because after a day of dishes I just toss them in the laundry basket.

Some of my kin grow cotton and once, I twisted up several feet of "yarn" from the bolls after they harvested and I crocheted with that (just pulling out a bit of the fibers and twisting, pull and twist, and so on). I like knowing that if SHTF one day or if I'm in some kind of survival situation I have the ability to use cotton or other fibrous materials to make clothes, fabrics, nets, strong cord, or other useful items with this simple skill. I made a large laundry bag with a netted stitch (triple treble crochet, 4 chains, triple treble, 4 chains, etc) that would also work as a fishing net if the need ever arose.

Do you crochet and what do you like to make?

Jenny

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    No, I'm a total moron when it comes to any type of sewing, except for embroidery or crewelwork.

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    Oh I love hand embroidery! I taught myself a few years ago, then taught myself knitting (which I hate) and crochet. Don't do the embroidery so much anymore but it did make me money one time when I was embroidering a hand towel at work (YMCA) and a lady saw what I was doing and bought 3 of my hand towels right then and there for $30. I am bad at using a sewing machine though. Never done crewelwork.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I love crocheting but I never really made anything that was not skewed horridly and stuff. Enjoy the process once every few years, lol.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    yep, love it when I have time. I prefer simple patterns I can do when it's cold outside and you huddle before the screen to catch up on television episodes.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    I love to crochet doilies, which if large enough, would make awesome fishing nets. I don't actually USE the doilies -- I just like the discipline needed to create them according to an intricate pattern. My largest piece was made using an antique pattern for a window curtain -- it measures approx. 4 ft. x 4 ft.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I've been crocheting since I was about 8, I'm now 52. I don't do it as much as I used to but this spring I made a cute tank/vest. I love the way crochet is so flexible, I can redesign as I go. With the vest I first made it according to the pattern and then decided I didn't like the neck line so I just took it out and changed the design. I have no idea how to do that with knitting.

I love all forms of hand work. Mostly I needle felt animal masks. I sell them at craft fairs or at the local art center. Here's a picture of my latest design of a Lynx:

008.jpg

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    My last crochet projects were: snowflakes, many, many snowflakes; an apple cover(to cushion an apple in my daughter's lunch bag-very cute, done in apple colors with an attached leaf); filet trim for pillowcases. I also like to knit(mostly socks), quilt, weave, and embroider.
    It is nice to know you can make stuff. I could do nets, or clothes for my tribe, make baskets to store food in, covers to keep us warm.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I crochet too. I taught myself when I was bored at home pregnant with my second baby. Its amazing what you can learn from youtube!

Have you been over to www.ravelry.com ? Its my most favourite online place to be. Literally thousands of patterns to choose from, and many of them are free (I'm a tight arse so I love that).

I'd love crochet directly from cotton fibres like that, sounds great fun - in NZ we don't grow cotton so I can't do that, however we do grow so pretty fancy wool! We use nothing but homemade dishcloths in our house, made with imported cotton or bamboo though.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i can crochet a mean single strand

...that's uneven

but i'm half decent at cross stitching
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast