Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Centered - PrimalWithKids page

Getting Centered - PrimalWithKids

Primal Fuel
    I experimented with PB 3-4 years ago, and really can't remember why I stopped! Maybe I was thinking of it more as a diet then... I've always bounced around in a 20-30 pound range, and this time, the baby-is-about-to-turn-one time, tends to see me on the upper end. So I started PB again a little over 3 weeks ago, mainly b/c I refused to go buy new, bigger clothes. Primal flu hit me bad, for at least a week and a half, and I started wondering if this was really such a good idea! Yes, I dropped some water weight, yes my stomach felt much calmer (no more rumblings, bloating, tightening), but I was so tired, queasy, head-achy. Then one morning, I woke up with such incredible energy. The morning after that, I woke up and wasn't hungry for anything but coffee for hours. I realized I am starting to sleep so much deeper - I feel relaxed even while nursing in the middle of the night, and usually slide right back to sleep instead of lying there worrying for a while. A crisis hit at work last week, and while I was stressed, I felt so much more in control of my emotions, could think more clearly, keep the stress contained at the level it belonged in a very different way.

So many benefits! And at the 3 week mark, I'd dropped about 9 pounds! Some stats -
    Height: 5' 6"
    SW: 149
    Week 1: 144
    Week 2: 143 (hormones were probably responsible for this slow week)
    CW: 140

I have an initial goal of 135, somewhere between 130-135 was my best weight ever, in college when I was enjoying weight lifting and walking everywhere. But I'm sure I have a bunch of fat pounds I need to trade for muscle. I bought some calipers online yesterday, so I'm looking forward to tracking by body fat soon!

I have 2 kids, a 5yo daughter D and 11mo son A. The next part of the story is about them.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Good for you for coming back with all the right reasons. I have no doubt that with wee kiddies to inspire you that you want to be able to play, laugh and learn with/from, that you will definately be successful in your journey.

Richard

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi welcome! I have a 5-year-old son and a 14 month old baby that also nurses at night still. I'm still new to eating in the primal/paleo model. My kids are pretty good at eating whole foods and not junk, but the biggest obstacle for them (well, more for the oldest) is giving up bread. He loves the cinnamon bread from our local bakery as well as sandwiches in general. I did make some paleo waffles last weekend that went over well. I posted about them in my journal.

I really don't want to be one of those mothers dieting in front of her kids all the time, hating on her body in front of her kids, freaking her daughter out about her own body eventually. We're a reasonably healthy family by CW standards - minimize TV, encourage outdoor play, water to drink not juice, treats rarely and usually at events or other people's homes. Despite all this, D has always been a chubbier kid, since she was a toddler. She's also struggled with a lot of food intolerances (ding, ding, ding, right, the bells at the back of my head now), no to lots of things in my milk at first, then no wheat until 2, no dairy until 3... I felt guilty, fed her alternatives like rice bread and soy yogurt, and was relieved when she seemed to outgrow the sensitivities. Now at 5, she's leaned out quite a bit, except for her belly, but still regularly has flare-ups of uncomfortable rash on her bottom. She also has pilaris keratosis on her upper arms, and has always had deep shadows under her eyes. She's sweet, but her moods can swing pretty quickly and dramatically. All things I'm interested to watch as we start this experiment with her....

"An experiment" is what I called starting the PB a few weeks ago, when D asked why I was having cauliflower instead of potatos with something. I emphasized a curiosity over how my stomach was feeling, my energy levels, rather than weight. So a couple of days ago, with my husband on board for me to try the kids on PB (he's not ready himself), I took the plunge with them. D was excited b/c she feels like she's doing something with me, and she understands I am hoping her bottom and tummy feel better. I bought "Eat Like a Dinosaur," and she really liked the story AND the promise that we can still make treats sometime eating this way. She loves kale chips, and was excited to pick out a new vegetable at the store to try, even if the beets didn't turn out to be a favorite . The only down moment she's had was when her dad ate bread with his dinner last night, but she made it through okay with the reminder that we'll make some primal cookies at the end of the week.

I'm not tracking weight with her, of course, but out of curiosity I did measure her waist - how much of her belly is bloat, I wonder? Other than that, it'll just be observations. Like day 1, when she left food on her plate and said she was full, words we seriously almost never hear from this hungry girl. And after just two days, my husband told me last night that he felt like she was calmer, had been able to recover at several moments when she usually would have melted down. Interesting, hopeful signs already!

Oh, with baby A, I am taking out the wheat and grains, but am leaving dairy in for now (a little cheese, yogurt, whole milk). I nurse well into toddlerhood, but deal with low supply issues, so I get nervous about him having enough. He's always been long and lean, pretty calm, no obvious intolerances, BUT he does have mild eczema we have to watch for.

Thanks for the welcome, Richard! Yes, they're a big inspiration. I need the energy to keep up with them and my somewhat demanding part-time job! And I want to give them a great base for healthy living...

Avocado girl, I'm excited to check out your journal and chat more about going primal with kids!

BrodieMN is offline Member
    Good luck. I hope to follow your progress with your kids.

Thanks, Brodie!

I feel like I have all sorts of Primal thoughts stored up since I didn't start my journal right at the beginning! Like how amazed I was at how quickly my belly deflated, esp. the puffiness on the upper part of my stomach - oh, how that extreme muffin top was bothering me! After just three weeks, I feel so much more comfortable with my body again, so much more energized and committed to making healthy choices for me and my family! It's been a tough year, more with work than with family, but of course the lack of sleep related to baby was a challenge. I was just spiraling into so many unhealthy habits - I really needed this radical change. But as I've excitedly poured over the success stories, what's really hit me is that I'll never be done with this - there will always be ways I can get stronger, healthier, or a new challenge to figure out. That's actually exciting and relaxing - no need to hurry through the journey when the destination will always be just ahead! One foot in front of the other...

Some things I'm excited about -
    - getting slow movement dancing with my kids and taking family walks (the bike rides still feel like hard work!)
    - doing PBF 2x a week, starting pretty low but will work my way up! Already did one this week
    - invisible shoes for most of the time and some bright red sanuks I hope will work for work coming in the mail soon!
    - I've been standing to work at my computer in the office (there's a counter at perfect height) and I'm recommitting to the stairs for my second floor office - plenty of energy for it!
    - decluttering to realign with my sort-of-hippy self - already did 2/3 of the kitchen, next step is the bathroom clutter
    - a birthday idea list on amazon with things like a food dehydrator and non-toxic nail polish

Yesterday was a little rough, with an early wake up and then drinking a primal-but-way-too-carby smoothie someone made me out of obligation/gratitude rather than hunger... I crashed hard by late afternoon. But today, can you tell - I feel great!

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWithKids View Post
    Thanks, Brodie!

I feel like I have all sorts of Primal thoughts stored up since I didn't start my journal right at the beginning! Like how amazed I was at how quickly my belly deflated, esp. the puffiness on the upper part of my stomach - oh, how that extreme muffin top was bothering me! After just three weeks, I feel so much more comfortable with my body again, so much more energized and committed to making healthy choices for me and my family! It's been a tough year, more with work than with family, but of course the lack of sleep related to baby was a challenge. I was just spiraling into so many unhealthy habits - I really needed this radical change. But as I've excitedly poured over the success stories, what's really hit me is that I'll never be done with this - there will always be ways I can get stronger, healthier, or a new challenge to figure out. That's actually exciting and relaxing - no need to hurry through the journey when the destination will always be just ahead! One foot in front of the other...

Some things I'm excited about -
    - getting slow movement dancing with my kids and taking family walks (the bike rides still feel like hard work!)
    - doing PBF 2x a week, starting pretty low but will work my way up! Already did one this week
    - invisible shoes for most of the time and some bright red sanuks I hope will work for work coming in the mail soon!
    - I've been standing to work at my computer in the office (there's a counter at perfect height) and I'm recommitting to the stairs for my second floor office - plenty of energy for it!
    - decluttering to realign with my sort-of-hippy self - already did 2/3 of the kitchen, next step is the bathroom clutter
    - a birthday idea list on amazon with things like a food dehydrator and non-toxic nail polish

Yesterday was a little rough, with an early wake up and then drinking a primal-but-way-too-carby smoothie someone made me out of obligation/gratitude rather than hunger... I crashed hard by late afternoon. But today, can you tell - I feel great!
    I also felt almost instantly "deflated" when I cut out the grains. I know exactly what you mean. It's a nice feeling, and certainly a motivator. I'm not sure I'll ever get as flat a stomach as I had before having 2 kids, but I can try. Ha! We can commiserate about the lack of sleep with baby. My baby boy is a tough night sleeper. He was just recently going through a phase of frequent night waking, like 7-8 times a night. He's back down to 3 times a night. I'm bracing myself for the coming sleep regression at 18 months but I hope that after that, sleeping a solid 6-7 hours is in my future.

I'll join you in challenging ourselves to do more fitness. That is an area I sorely lack in at the moment. Squeezing in what I can when the baby naps, or when I have the babysitter. I work for myself, and often from home. Which sounds ideal until you have to figure out how to manage time and contract work with spotty childcare coverage and sleepless nights. But as always, I'll get through it.

I make smoothies often in a pinch when I am starving but just can't throw something together fast enough. Someone recommended whey protein powder as a good starting point, I have to go check what the brand names were again. I try to fill my smoothies with spinach or other greens and then just top of with something sweet like berries. But sometimes I just want to throw in some cocoa powder and almond butter and call it a day.

Thanks for sharing about your kids. I think you are doing wonderful in considering this so thoughtfully for your kids. As with any transition, I'm giving myself slack to do things gradually. I don't want to shock the system too much in the household, but we've already made lots of changes. I made beef/turkey meatloaf last night that both kids and husband devoured. Progress.

A few photos, though I'm not sure if the difference is as clear to anyone else as to me - where I started, then about two weeks later, when the muffin top had disappeared!

BeforePic.jpgWeekTwoPic.jpg

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    Thanks for sharing about your kids. I think you are doing wonderful in considering this so thoughtfully for your kids. As with any transition, I'm giving myself slack to do things gradually. I don't want to shock the system too much in the household, but we've already made lots of changes. I made beef/turkey meatloaf last night that both kids and husband devoured. Progress.
    Thanks for the kind words! It does sound like we have a lot in common, from little ones to trying to work all of this around, well, work! I'm really motivated by the idea that fitness doesn't have to take a long time, and the little things I can work into my day easily count. And you're right, it's all about little changes. I put whey powder into the smoothie I made to share with D this morning before I thought about it and remembered I'm avoiding dairy with her - just couldn't get myself to throw it out when I'm not sure it's a problem! So I'll just remember next time...

What are some of your kids' favorite primal-friendly snacks? Looking for ideas! So far, we're doing fruit obviously, sunflower seed butter, kale chips, nuts, and she's liked this olive-walnut tapenade recipe from Eat Like a Dinosaur, having it with lots of veggies.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast