Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Getting Centered - PrimalWithKids page 5

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWithKids View Post
    Oh, and my husband likes tricking her playfully, if she doesn't want to read out loud... He'll purposely miss words as he reads to her, so she'll laugh and correct him...
    Hahah! This worked with my DS too. He starts K in September. We did the whole series of BOB books and now we just let him pick books he wants to read. We have some Dr. Seuss that are favorites and any "fact" books. I haven't found a series that builds further than the BOB books. Any suggestions? We are done with the 10th book in the 4th set. Since I was a chemist before and have a science degree, we are constantly working on science experiments. I'm never without baking soda, vinegar, food coloring or dry ice. We are currently growing several "beans" with different kinds of water and sun exposure.

DS is going to a private Jewish day school though, not public school. Mostly because he will get the language immersion with Hebrew. They have a small K class, more recess, more PE and more science. The classroom is amazing. I'm also glad he will get religious instruction. We aren't Orthodox or anything but pretty observant and it's not always easy to make our kids feel normal. He would have been the only Jewish kid in his public school class.

I don't do low carb for the kids. My oldest eats plenty of fruit. For us the greatest challenge is bread. We've at least migrated to bakery made sourdough. Nothing more processed. Baby steps.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    What I find somewhat amazing with DD is that she will memorize books. There are several books and stories in her magazines (Highlights High Five) that she will recite from memory, turning the pages entirely appropriately. She will stop you if you skip any part of a story that she's heard at least once before. I thought that reading would progress naturally, but she's been doing this for over 6 months now. She's not even 4.5 yet though. So I'm guessing I just need to be patient and keep with what we're doing. The library has the entire Bob series, so we can use that easily. DD loves starfall and it helped her learn her letters and letter sounds. But she isn't real interested lately in the learning parts, just the games. Will have to check out the other things you mention. I also have a feeling she'll be up for trying more new things once DH goes back to work and we're working on things more regularly.

Avocado girl, you might look for phonics comics - they're pretty cute and more advanced!
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    CW 140 & 30% bf (Aug. 4, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Yes, teach, I don't think these things are linear - just like physical growth, the mental/emotional stuff seems to go in leaps and plateaus! Going with the flow seems key.
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Good day. IF'd the morning, ate a big lunch with salad, meat and eggs, a smaller dinner with the family, but then had some meat instead of carbs when I got nibble-y. Felt like I was in fat as fuel mode all day today...

And I'm officially ready to start the school year! We're going to the beach as a family tomorrow to celebrate the last day of summer . But Friday is a half day for my husband, so we're squeezing in a trip to the pool that afternoon, too!
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Tired of the fickle scale, not motivated to bother with the calipers too often... Picked a pair of size 8 shorts for my motivation / measurement tool! Two weeks ago, I could button them but they definitely felt a little snug to wear. This morning I think they were looser - I'd be on the fence whether I should wear them or not. The day is coming

Excited for beach day AND that some good-looking resumes have come in from college kids interested in watching my kids 8 hours a week while I get in some "office hours.". I left the looking a little late, because I couldn't decide between finding a grandmotherly type (consistent but likely to want to watch the kids in her home) or a college student (availability changing from semester to semester, but willing to come to my home). Meeting up with a good grandmotherly option convinced me I wanted the convenience and comfort of home for me and the kids! Husband also just got an electric scooter to commute to work and save gas money, so it'll be easier for him to come home to take over with the kids than work out another way to get the kids home those two days/week...
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Hard to focus, so many things I want to give energy to! PB eating, easy peasy, PBF needs some attention! Kicking off learning plans w D this morning, making sure she and baby have a great sitter for when I work... Drowning in work, really need some time to stop doing it and just think about it, plan... But this morning, am going to try to focus on the kids, enjoy D's "first day of kindergarten"! I'm all prepped, now need to let go of expectations, go with the flow. The point of doing this is to give her the time and space to grow into herself 100%, to feel awesome about who God has created her to be, how she learns, relates... So I'm trying to give her launching pads, not boxes to check off. A little brain food and lots of time and freedom to masticate . Want to focus on/be interested in her process, not outcomes... Can you tell I'm giving myself a little pep talk?
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWithKids View Post
    Hard to focus, so many things I want to give energy to! PB eating, easy peasy, PBF needs some attention! Kicking off learning plans w D this morning, making sure she and baby have a great sitter for when I work... Drowning in work, really need some time to stop doing it and just think about it, plan... But this morning, am going to try to focus on the kids, enjoy D's "first day of kindergarten"! I'm all prepped, now need to let go of expectations, go with the flow. The point of doing this is to give her the time and space to grow into herself 100%, to feel awesome about who God has created her to be, how she learns, relates... So I'm trying to give her launching pads, not boxes to check off. A little brain food and lots of time and freedom to masticate . Want to focus on/be interested in her process, not outcomes... Can you tell I'm giving myself a little pep talk?
    Good luck! It can be hard to let go and let God. That's been my theme this summer and into this Fall. We did our first preschool lesson yesterday. I have a blog I put together if you ever want to follow along/get ideas. It was definitely an interesting first day. Only lasted about 40 minutes. Have a great first day!

Teach, I'd love to see your blog! Link? I have one, hope to get it updated soon. But basically, we had a great day. Getting through the school stuff took most of the morning, but that was with lots of (school-inspired) play and baby breaks. Really focused on enjoying ourselves, and D seemed really happy!

Had a fun moment with a co-worker in the afternoon, who really seemed to like my "look" for the day, and couldn't seem to figure out why. She settled on my hair - a semi-sloppy ponytail/bun - that it worked well with my face. Pretty obvious to me it was really the weight loss, right? My face is looking pretty different these days, much less puffy!
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like a great day! My blog is definitely a work in progress, but I'm going to try to update more often with DH going back to work, Creating a Healthy, Happy, Down to Earth Family.

Yay for people noticing the weight loss! My real estate agent commented yesterday which felt nice.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast