Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Centered - PrimalWithKids page 4

Shop Now
    Hungry day! My morning was pretty active, and lunch may have been a little light for how hungry I was... So I just felt insatiable in the afternoon!

B: green smoothie w coconut milk & protein
    L: a couple big chicken sausages & an amazing peach from the farmer's market
    S: chocolate, strawberries and cantelope, olives, almonds, coconut milk, a little whole milk - hungry!
    D: steak and chicken fajitas w guac, w/out tortillas

Tomorrow is a community picnic with gourmet food trucks coming, and not much primal on the menu. D and I have agreed to buy a smoothie, bring some sausage and primal cookies from home, and enjoy the free watermelon. But now I'm thinking I'll have to check the smoothies for dairy... The good news is I think her bottom rash is finally fading! Maybe this is really helping.
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    CW 140 & 30% bf (Aug. 4, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

My kid may have had a fair number of carbs today at the picnic with all the fruit in different forms, but she didn't have wheat, dairy, (much) processed sugar, or a bad attitude! I felt like it was a major win. Meanwhile, it's probably not IFing officially when I need a handful of almonds to munch along with my coffee in the morning, but I feel like it still leaves me in that same, lovely head/body space. Too hot at the picnic to feel super hungry, though I imagine my appetite will come back as I cool off. Trying to imagine what might taste good, despite the heat...
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWithKids View Post
    My kid may have had a fair number of carbs today at the picnic with all the fruit in different forms, but she didn't have wheat, dairy, (much) processed sugar, or a bad attitude! I felt like it was a major win. Meanwhile, it's probably not IFing officially when I need a handful of almonds to munch along with my coffee in the morning, but I feel like it still leaves me in that same, lovely head/body space. Too hot at the picnic to feel super hungry, though I imagine my appetite will come back as I cool off. Trying to imagine what might taste good, despite the heat...
    Children really shouldn't be low carb since they're growing. So don't worry about that. As long as they're healthy carbs, I find my kids each just what they need. Some nights they clear their plates of meat, others veggies, and other potatoes. But over a week they get enough of everything. I think this WOE for kids is awesome because the unprocessed foods won't interrupt their natural instincts for what their bodies need.

Thx, Teach, not shooting for low carb for her - do you think it's ever possible for a kid to overeat things like fruit, though? I guess I still feel like I should encourage her to balance out the natural sugars with fat and protein.
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Long, hot, tiring day - the heat seemed to suck all the patience out of me! Got a walk on this morning when all was cool, but tonight I either totally lost my will-power or my body really needed some carbs! 4 (small!) paleo cookies, 2 dates, 2 glasses of wine... Probably not a shining moment.

Have I mentioned I'm a homeschooling mama? This is our first "official" year, and I think I'd be feeling pretty mellow if it were just me, looking back at how much D has already learned through me, my husband... But she seems to need "kindergarten" to have a certain panache, a specialness to it. So I've been a little tense, making plans but a little worried the plan-making will suck too much of the joy! Hoping we hit a balance as we start this Thursday...

Why Th? B/c that's when teacher hubby goes back- sad! So I should get to bed. Waking up 30m earlier tomorrow, then again the next day, so by Th, hopefully it won't be totally shocking. (I'm going to need to adjust exercising to late afternoons, too, but oh, the heat!)
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

How cool that you homeschool! We've discussed that option ourselves, but it's looking like DD will start K next year in public school. We are doing preschool at home this year with more of a K curriculum. I love planning, so have already put together lists of things I want to work on. We're UCSMP for math, which is a pretty cool spiraling program and very hands on. One of the things I think is great about homeschooling is moving at the child's pace and not having to spend hours on school every day at a young age. We're going to do 30-60 minute each day, maybe longer a couple days a week for this year. I'm excited to get started, but my school working (social worker) hubby doesn't go back for another 1.5 weeks. Good luck!

No way, we're finishing up K level CSMP! Love it - I just call it Math Games with D, bc it really feels that fun. What else are you using? This year we're sticking with CSMP, starting Story of the World, using Explode the Code for basic spelling and writing practice, some Salsa Spanish... Last year it was Bob books that morphed to Reading Eggs, some Five in a Row and lots of library books, and Handwriting without Tears. This year's plan will take most of the morning, but that's mainly bc of fun breaks and baby breaks! D really gets into the history/science stuff, too, so we take our time enjoying those books... And I'm leaving Friday totally for fun schooling - art, library, games and projects, movies related to what we're learning...
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Great to find someone with a similar philosophy! The rest I'm kind of piecing together units. For social studies I'm starting with family likely by making a family tree, then community learning about all the different members, then county, then state, then midwest, and eventually looking at all the different areas/states partially by talking about the family members we have in each area. I figure that will cover most of the school year, allowing for stalls due to DD getting super interested in specific items. For science I'm starting with the thing closest to her, her body. Have a few lessons talking about each part and what it does. From there we'll move on to living things, although we already started that last year by discussing plants when we started our garden. She LOVES learning and it's awesome to watch. I have some phonics worksheets that she likes to do, and a set of Bob books. I'm not sure what to do about reading though because she seems to be stuck on wanting to be read TO. She knows all her letters and the sounds they make, can write all put 5 or so letters too. But she basically refuses to sound things out. She we just keep reading a lot. I'll likely start adding 1 book a morning once DH goes back to work. Any tips for getting over this hurdle? For writing I found a fun thing that combines the letters, rhyming, and art. It's a nursery rhyme poem with an art project. This will force me to do more art with her, which she loves but I'm reluctant with since it can get so messy. She struggles with identifying rhymes, so I figure this will be great for her.
    We still have activities during the mornings... Mon gymnastics, Wed bilingual story time, Thur soccer. I'm figuring that we'll do most of the school stuff while DS is still sleeping in the afternoons. It'll be good time for me to bond with DD and she'll get the focused mental work she needs. Tu/Fri mornings will be reserved for fun field trips, lounging around the house, and exploring parks/other trails. I'd love to see your plans as you progress through the year!

You have fun plans! Reading for D at least morphed frequently, what seemed to work best. And since she was so little, there was no way I was going to push if it wasn't fun! Like you said, keeping up with reading aloud to her is still a big foundation. Starting to trade-off some also works. Progressive Phonics does that and is free - D prefers just trading who reads a page at a time. Another big thing for her was that she wanted some independence with it. You can get a few Bob books, the first ones, with CDs - that really launched D. When that stopped working, she got into Reading Eggs, which has a free trial. It was her thing, she loved it, and so she appreciated my help (v. Me as teacher). Do you know about Starfall? Like RE, but free - the one downfall, it's easier for the kid to spend all her time with games, IMO. Oh, written clues you leave her, for where her snack is or something, can also be fun, easy practice! We're at a stage now where we're just going to keep practicing reading together and firm up phonics as we work on spelling. Scholastic has a book finder that's awesome for finding books at the right level. Hope some of that helps!
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

PrimalCon New York
    Oh, and my husband likes tricking her playfully, if she doesn't want to read out loud... He'll purposely miss words as he reads to her, so she'll laugh and correct him...
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast