Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Centered - PrimalWithKids page 2

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There was a very obvious change in the pics. Although not probably primal in the strictest sense check out ther recipes over at seaside kitchen, and cavegirl in the kitchen .... They cook using almond flour and make loads of tasty treats.

Richard

Thanks, Richard! Losing that bloat so quickly and easily was the most amazing, motivating thing ever. Am excited to explore recipes, more for the girl child than myself. I think I'll do better keeping it simple, but she'll need some options that look like other kids' treats sometimes!

I'm not pressuring my husband to do this with me, but of course, I'd love him to! So I got Fathead to watch together last night, and (I guess I might be in the minority here), couldn't make it through it! Not my style of humor, I guess, or what I thought it was going to be about, at least in the 45 minutes I gave it. He wasn't enjoying it either, so it really didn't help the cause! Guess I'm back to just "leading by example.". I'm thinking of putting a few things like the PB eating and exercising pyramids on the fridge, see if that piques his interest. Probably better if I have a head start anyway since men's bodies tend to "transform" so much more quickly

I love the energy I have before I eat in the morning! IF makes a lot more sense on the other side of low-carb flu. My question though is how I get to the so-full-I-don't-need-to-snack place the rest of the day! I try to eat big meals, still get hungry later. Maybe it's a nursing thing? Ratios about 60:20:20, fat: protein:carb, around 1800 calories, 70-100g of carbs a day.
    Last edited by PrimalWithKids; 08-02-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    CW 140 & 30% bf (Aug. 4, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Made my "invisible shoes" tonight, excited to use them to exercise tomorrow - short walk, Dutch lowy warmup, and LHT planned. My secret goal - I'd eventually like to be able to run a mile easily. Humble goal, right, but it would feel good to me. I prefer walking to running, but just being able to do one would feel like basic, functional fitness!

Today's menu:
    Breakfast - Shared a smoothie with coconut milk, almond milk, egg, protein powder, lots of spinach, banana and (b/c D would get a kick out of it) beet to turn it pink!
    Snack - half an apple
    Lunch - (packed on the run) full fat yogurt, almonds, turkey with tapenade
    Dinner - chicken cacciatore with mashed cauliflower
    Dessert - little dark chocolate, half glass wine

Given how busy the day was, happy with my choices and grateful I wasn't feeling hungry between meals! I really need to watch it, make sure I'm eating from hunger rather than habit...
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Workout accomplished and shoes felt good, though a little weird on concrete - will take some getting used to. Bummer though, somehow I'm out of meat in the house! Breakfasted on eggs and bacon grease.
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Don't have much time to write at the moment, but wanted to say hi and offer encouragement! I have a 2yo DS and 4yo DD and we've made the switch. Will be able to be even more strict once DH goes back to work as he pushes to do lots of treats. Good luck!

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Wow, love your food choices. The turkey with tapenade sounds especially delicious. I think you're doing great. I can see the difference in the pics. More changes to come, I'm sure.

Tell me more about your invisible shoes. I don't run anymore because of my RA. It mostly affects my knees so this is problematic when I try to run. I get my sprints through fast swims or bike rides when I can.

My 5-year-old's favorite snacks are chicken nuggets and raw sheep's milk cheese. I call this progress. I make the chicken nuggets myself. We do kale chips and carrots with dip, too.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quiet house now that DH took the kids to the store. I have been nursing/pregnant since Aug 2007 and starving pretty much that whole time. I've found with primal that if I eat enough food at each meal I am good with maybe 1 snack in the afternoon. My biggest problem has been eating enough for lunch.
    My kids are fairly adventurous eaters. Favorite go-to meal is meatloaf which I make 50% ground beef, 50% ground pork, 1 egg per pound of meat, ground mustard, salt, garlic powder, and celery salt. Cook @350 for 1hr. I cover it with ketchup before baking (HFCS free). Both kids gobble it up. I have not cut dairy for them, just make sure it's full fat. So a favorite snack is cheese sticks. I was buying string cheese, but have transitioned to just taking a block and cutting off sticks. Considering we used to get american cheese slices, I think we've come a long way! Fruit and veggies in bite size pieces are also big.

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, Teach! Yeah, I am trying to eat a lot at meals. I think what's hard is how full I get from the vegetables, so sometimes I just need a second round about 45m later when I realize I'm not quite satisfied!

Invisible shoes are like traditional running huaraches made with modern materials, like the rubber used in vibram five fingers. You order a kit to make your own... I just walked a block and did LHT in them yesterday, and it was a lot of fun walking through grass, an adjustment walking on pavement! If you're interested in almost-barefoot running, avocado girl, you should check them out - great price!

Made some simple paleo cookies yesterday for D, to store in the freezer and pull out as needed so she doesn't feel totally deprived of normal kid stuff. Managed to only eat 2 myself - they were pretty good!

Big, slightly stressful meetings yesterday and today, was only a little tempted by the chips and cookies hanging around, and that was more an emotional thing, I think. Stuck with black coffee and later was rewarded with these massive, delicious shrimp!
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

Calipers came in the mail! 30% body fat, which seems right to me. That's 42 pounds of fat. Excited to build some lean muscle mass and drop some fat over the next few months! To get to 135 and 25% bf, I'd need to drop 8-9 pounds of fat, and gain 3-4 pounds of muscle. How long does it take women to gain muscle?
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea but that's awesome that you got calipers. I was referred to a website by zoebird that uses several measurements to guesstimate body fat. It came up with 28% if I remember correctly.

I think how fast you lose it depends on body type. Also, I'm guessing that it will be easier once your youngest is weaned. That was my experience with my first. I didn't do much lose pounds as body fat once he weaned and my body let go off some of the extra fat. I have a typical mesomorph build though my wrists, neck and ankles are tiny, I gain muscle better than ectomorphs so it's clear I'm more meso. I have a girlfriend who lifts and does crossfit and it has taken her a long time to drop body fat, having built a lot of muscle first.

So, well, I didn't add much to your knowledge but just some anecdotal evidence.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast