I was reading in Gary Taubes book Why We Are Fat that although exercise has immense benefits it doesnt help overweight people lose weight. There are no studies out there that show it does. He says that if you exercise it just makes you eat more.
Cant recall the science but I found it made sense what he was saying.
I personally do a lot of exercise. It helps me sleep better, I feel better etc.
However I had got into the mindset that the more exercise I do the more weight I will lose.
I feel a bit more relaxed about it now.
I have lost about 14lb in the last 6 months, (5ft 7" current weight 153 lb) though have now had to stop the dark chocolate and berries as my weight loss had stalled.
My exercise routine is as follows
zumba x 2 pw (one hr class at gym)
circuit training x 2pw (one hr class at gym)
Heavy weights as per Marks recommendations (once, sometimes twice per week)
I feel better now I am thinking I am doing it for the health benefits not just as an aid to lose weight.
Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.
I agree with those suggesting you ST. You can use your rowing machine to warm-up and then do 15-20 minutes of ST, more if that's what you enjoy. I started Starting Strength and am enjoying watching the weight go up on each lift. I feel more solid and can tell there is a lot of muscle under the fat I still have. I am losing slowly, ~0.5lb/week, but I know I am building muscle and new clothes are fitting. And I've found that weight lifting doesn't make me super hungry as long as I continue to eat primally.
I talked with DH last night, if he would like to do something with me in the mornings (other than THAT) and he will here in a couple of weeks. He is getting up at 4 am still, but here in a couple of weeks, it will go back to about 6 and we can do it then. So once I get back from vacation next week, I want to get our little exercise area re-arranged and have a plan ready to go.
You guys are great and very helpful!
I was worried about things like carb refeeds and eating this before I do this, or eating that after I do that, but it doesnt sound like I need to worry about such stuff at this point, not at this level. Correct? Or should I do sweet potato at a certain time or whatever? And then there is the working out in a fasted state and all. I dont know if I need to concern myself with that either at this point? But if there is something that I can do to optimize, I would like to try to incorporate it.
Well I started back up Sunday. DH isnt on board yet, but I did my elliptical Sunday. And I did it yesterday along with some ST. Then today I did my Ell. w/some tabata. The back of my leg is still twitching involuntarily a little bit, and I did it hours ago. Not sure what is up with that.
I was surprisingly sore today. Not bad but a little. So I didnt really mean to do tabata today, but something sort of just took over while I was on my elli.
A point is going to come when the size of your clothes and the number on the scale arent matching up. You imagine what a certain weight is supposed to look like but when you get to that weight, the body in the mirror doesnt match. Fat and muscle have different *compositions* so they are going to look different on your frame. What matters more...the number on the scale, the size on the tag, or what you see in the mirror?
Attention Scale Addicts
Attention Scale Addicts 2
However I did a test the other day, cant remember where but it said I should weigh something like 167. I feel like I can do way better than that, but I went to this webpage, let me see if I can find it, but anyways, I typed in 160 and 170 for my height and they still look pretty chunky. And when I do 150, some look kind of thick and some look pretty darn good, and the same is true of 120 & 130 also, so I get what you are saying.
Here it is, My Body Gallery
Last edited by gopintos; 08-22-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Ok, I have not done very well with the exercise portion. I get so wrapped up in tweaking my food, and I think where I need to focus is on the fitness portion. I think I get my head so hung up the 80% of the game is nutrition part, that I think my real hang up and what is holding me back from more progress is the other 20%.
I am going to do better. The new Whole 30 challenge on the nutrition board is tempting but really only the fitness part of it. So I am going to challenge myself this week to incorporate my fitness program. I need structure rather than relying on my day to day stuff around here, because I don't structure that either. Just too sporadic.
I had my grove on when I started, but yet I dont think it was chronic. I just need to get back to that place of where I just did it. I have made great progress, 50 pounds since January I guess, but just thought I should be farther along by now.
Anyways, I'll be snooping around more on this side of the board
Last edited by gopintos; 09-24-2012 at 03:38 AM.