Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's say I start a regular workout program... page 3

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was reading in Gary Taubes book Why We Are Fat that although exercise has immense benefits it doesnt help overweight people lose weight. There are no studies out there that show it does. He says that if you exercise it just makes you eat more.
    Cant recall the science but I found it made sense what he was saying.

I personally do a lot of exercise. It helps me sleep better, I feel better etc.
    However I had got into the mindset that the more exercise I do the more weight I will lose.
    I feel a bit more relaxed about it now.

I have lost about 14lb in the last 6 months, (5ft 7" current weight 153 lb) though have now had to stop the dark chocolate and berries as my weight loss had stalled.
    My exercise routine is as follows
    zumba x 2 pw (one hr class at gym)
    circuit training x 2pw (one hr class at gym)
    Heavy weights as per Marks recommendations (once, sometimes twice per week)

I feel better now I am thinking I am doing it for the health benefits not just as an aid to lose weight.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    Are you honestly saying that people have no muscle when they're fat?
    I always said "I'm OK as long as I can physically do what I want when I want." So yes, fat people can have muscle. But, the fact is that a lot of lardarses do not get off their backsides and do any exercise at all. These are the ones in the article whose muscles atrophy and they end up in a six foot wide coffin that needs a crane to lift it onto the back of the truck that takes it to the cemetery.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with those suggesting you ST. You can use your rowing machine to warm-up and then do 15-20 minutes of ST, more if that's what you enjoy. I started Starting Strength and am enjoying watching the weight go up on each lift. I feel more solid and can tell there is a lot of muscle under the fat I still have. I am losing slowly, ~0.5lb/week, but I know I am building muscle and new clothes are fitting. And I've found that weight lifting doesn't make me super hungry as long as I continue to eat primally.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    It helps me sleep better...
    Perhaps this is why I havent slept as well the last few weeks. I havent been doing as much outside the last few weeks. No push mowing - the grass isnt growing. When I do though, it's like cardio and ST. I use it for the hard to reach places and hilly banks. Nothing physical outside, just too darn hot. I do go to sleep but wake up hot, which has been normal since primal, but usually I can go back to sleep but have had trouble the past couple of weeks. Going to the doctor today, for one thing to make sure I am not pre-menie or full blown even.

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    And I've found that weight lifting doesn't make me super hungry as long as I continue to eat primally.
    Thanks for your suggestions. I am really hoping that this is what I find. Before I just couldnt get enough to eat while I was exercising, but I wasnt primal yet and still trying to reign in calories and didnt understand macros. And it was tough cuz I was always hungry. I went to bed hungry. Wake up during the night hungry. First thing in the morning I wanted to eat my arm off. I have a good grip on hunger now so I think I can find the balance of a nice little routine.

I talked with DH last night, if he would like to do something with me in the mornings (other than THAT) and he will here in a couple of weeks. He is getting up at 4 am still, but here in a couple of weeks, it will go back to about 6 and we can do it then. So once I get back from vacation next week, I want to get our little exercise area re-arranged and have a plan ready to go.

You guys are great and very helpful!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. I am really hoping that this is what I find. Before I just couldnt get enough to eat while I was exercising, but I wasnt primal yet and still trying to reign in calories and didnt understand macros. And it was tough cuz I was always hungry. I went to bed hungry. Wake up during the night hungry. First thing in the morning I wanted to eat my arm off. I have a good grip on hunger now so I think I can find the balance of a nice little routine.
    I totally get this! I used to need to eat every 5 hours or I would get physically sick. When I was pregnant I had to eat about every 2hours! Now when I wake up I can easily wait an hour or so before breakfast and most days I easily get by with just 3meals (still breastfeeding) and never be starving too much. The key is to NOT do cardio except for walking. Unless you enjoy it (it doesn't sound like youd do), don't go for a run. Just lift and do sprints occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    The key is to NOT do cardio except for walking. Unless you enjoy it (it doesn't sound like youd do), don't go for a run. Just lift and do sprints occasionally.
    Ha, yes no worries there. I really do not enjoy it. I guess I like the feeling of accomplishment once I do but I really dont enjoy it. I do enjoy working up a good sweat outside being productive though, but to jump around in front of the TV for an hour, not so much. And no worries on running either. Funny, when I did track, I was always the short sprints. 100 yard dash was the farthest, but the dashes were always my favorite, that and long jump. I always got first so one year the coach wanted me to do a mile. Big mistake. I was trucking along in first place, not able to pace myself very well, and the last turn I thought I was going to die. I think almost everyone passed me I havent tried it since. Well not true. I did 9 laps once just on my own and THAT was the last time.

I was worried about things like carb refeeds and eating this before I do this, or eating that after I do that, but it doesnt sound like I need to worry about such stuff at this point, not at this level. Correct? Or should I do sweet potato at a certain time or whatever? And then there is the working out in a fasted state and all. I dont know if I need to concern myself with that either at this point? But if there is something that I can do to optimize, I would like to try to incorporate it.

Thanks y'all!

Well I started back up Sunday. DH isnt on board yet, but I did my elliptical Sunday. And I did it yesterday along with some ST. Then today I did my Ell. w/some tabata. The back of my leg is still twitching involuntarily a little bit, and I did it hours ago. Not sure what is up with that.

I was surprisingly sore today. Not bad but a little. So I didnt really mean to do tabata today, but something sort of just took over while I was on my elli.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    A point is going to come when the size of your clothes and the number on the scale arent matching up. You imagine what a certain weight is supposed to look like but when you get to that weight, the body in the mirror doesnt match. Fat and muscle have different *compositions* so they are going to look different on your frame. What matters more...the number on the scale, the size on the tag, or what you see in the mirror?

Attention Scale Addicts

Attention Scale Addicts 2
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    A point is going to come when the size of your clothes and the number on the scale arent matching up. You imagine what a certain weight is supposed to look like but when you get to that weight, the body in the mirror doesnt match. Fat and muscle have different *compositions* so they are going to look different on your frame. What matters more...the number on the scale, the size on the tag, or what you see in the mirror?

Attention Scale Addicts

Attention Scale Addicts 2
    Yal I can dig it. I think that is why I am trying to refocus my attention. When I am done, I want to look good. And that is why I never really thought of a goal weight because I know it depends on my muscle. I could probably carry 150 pretty well, but I have also been 115 but I think I looked my very best at about 125ish but I don't know if that is realistic anymore. Part of me thinks well, why not? especially since I understand a little more now than I did back then. So I don't really have a weight in mind.

However I did a test the other day, cant remember where but it said I should weigh something like 167. I feel like I can do way better than that, but I went to this webpage, let me see if I can find it, but anyways, I typed in 160 and 170 for my height and they still look pretty chunky. And when I do 150, some look kind of thick and some look pretty darn good, and the same is true of 120 & 130 also, so I get what you are saying.

Here it is, My Body Gallery
    Last edited by gopintos; 08-22-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Ok, I have not done very well with the exercise portion. I get so wrapped up in tweaking my food, and I think where I need to focus is on the fitness portion. I think I get my head so hung up the 80% of the game is nutrition part, that I think my real hang up and what is holding me back from more progress is the other 20%.

I am going to do better. The new Whole 30 challenge on the nutrition board is tempting but really only the fitness part of it. So I am going to challenge myself this week to incorporate my fitness program. I need structure rather than relying on my day to day stuff around here, because I don't structure that either. Just too sporadic.

I had my grove on when I started, but yet I dont think it was chronic. I just need to get back to that place of where I just did it. I have made great progress, 50 pounds since January I guess, but just thought I should be farther along by now.

Anyways, I'll be snooping around more on this side of the board
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-24-2012 at 03:38 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast