Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's say I start a regular workout program... page 2

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I seem to get OCD about things, and then move on to something else, so I didnt want to burn out. That is why it was so easy to stop working out before when I heard I wouldnt have energy after going low carb. VLC. Honestly, I think I still did because I was gradually on the decline anyways, but point is it didnt take much persuasion because I really hate cardio. I use to love ST but that was back in the day. Now I enjoy the cardio of push mowing and doing things around my home, but not when it is so darn hot.
    Gopintos - You will feel like a sucker when you realize how little you actually have to do to build the muscles you need. All the cardio in the world won't do it for you--you need to lift heavy things.

Here's a great article for you: “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN Ľ

"So to any woman out there who is fed up with trying the same thing over and over, I offer this suggestion, instead of getting back on the treadmill “one more time,” try this: Alter your diet so that you eat no grain-based carbohydrate: no flour, no sugar, no bread, no pasta, and no high fructose corn syrup. Then go to the gym and perform a workout of leg press, pulldown, chest press, row and overhead press. Lift slowly and smoothly but with as much effort as possible. Go to complete fatigue, or as close to it as you can tolerate. Work out once, or at most, twice a week. Make sure your workouts last no longer than 20 minutes. Then sit back and watch what happens."

Read this and you will see why Oprah failed. What you need is to tie everything you are doing together and do it in a way you can keep doing it for the rest of your long life...It sounds like you got the diet part about figured out, you use cold to your advantage, you know the importance of sleep, you get plenty of slow movement working around your place and you get outside a lot. Now, come up with a good plan for increasing muscle tone and you will be well on your way to your genetic potential! I'd recommend doing just what the Primal Blueprint Fitness guide says. Find a way to work most of your muscles until they are sore and do it once a week. It only takes that much. It can be done with about 10 minutes effort a week! If you choose to do pushups or pullups or some other bodyweight exercises, don't try to do 100 of them fast, do 10 of them slow. Focus on form and keeping your muscles loaded--that is what makes you strong.

Good luck!

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    Are you honestly saying that people have no muscle when they're fat? Because that's just silly.

If I can lift my 300lb ass out of a chair, then clearly, my legs are able to support 300lbs. Yes, some muscles are going to be weaker, but a lot of muscles that are required in simply moving yourself around cannot possibly be.

Can I push myself up off my stomach? Can I stand up? Can I jump? Can I walk? Then I have muscle.

I'm not saying fat people are ripped underneath the fat, but they definitely have an amount of lean mass that if you can keep it, is advantageous.
    I agree. Doctors aren't physiologists and usually don't know nearly as much as they say they do on most subjects.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    Are you honestly saying that people have no muscle when they're fat? Because that's just silly.

If I can lift my 300lb ass out of a chair, then clearly, my legs are able to support 300lbs. Yes, some muscles are going to be weaker, but a lot of muscles that are required in simply moving yourself around cannot possibly be.

Can I push myself up off my stomach? Can I stand up? Can I jump? Can I walk? Then I have muscle.

I'm not saying fat people are ripped underneath the fat, but they definitely have an amount of lean mass that if you can keep it, is advantageous.
    Read the article, then go to Google and type in "Obesity and muscle atrophy" or similar, you will see much written about it like:
    "Muscle atrophy refers to the loss of muscles. Scientists have found out that obesity can cause loss of muscles because of the excessive fat stores in the body. Apparently, loss off muscle is considered as a consequence of obesity.

The muscles in our body are very important because they have various functions in our body. There are different types of muscles, and the ones that are atrophied in an obese individual would be skeletal muscles.

Skeletal muscles are important because they support the bones. Aside from that, they help us move, control our body posture, and source of energy whenever we get ill.

Experts havenít found out yet the exact cause why obesity induces inflammation which promotes to muscle loss. This is the reason why they are conducting several studies to determine the actual cause of inflammation induced by obesity.

In their study, the experts will have to measure the amount of muscle protein breakdown as well as the rate of carbohydrate oxidation. Aside from that, the researchers would also want to find out if there can be a drug that will increase the insulin sensitivity of obese individuals in order to reverse the effect of obesity which is loss of muscles."

There are different types of muscle--fast twitch and slow twitch, very obese people have adapted to move their bulk around, but are susceptible to hernias and have little muscle stamina.

I see you are on week 2 of PB. Congrats on your choosing the best diet and fitness program going. Learn all you can and keep an open mind!
    Last edited by otzi; 08-01-2012 at 09:39 AM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I will get on reading it. The other bit in the previous post was fascinating, though I didnt understand it completely, but reading the full article helped Thank you for your insight and input. I feel like you have followed previous posts of mine along my journey, so it all really hits home for me personally I can pull this all together. I so appreciate your contributions to the board, and I appreciate everyone's contribution. Love all the information and ideas.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    I agree. Doctors aren't physiologists and usually don't know nearly as much as they say they do on most subjects.
    I used to think the same thing. I worked alongside a man who weighed 450 pounds. He seemed like the strongest man alive, his calves were like tree trunks. But he couldn't walk up a flight of stairs to save his life and walking to his car after work go him out of breath. He suffered a massive hernia and almost died.

Probably the exception to this is the Sumo wrestler--but they train day and night and didn't get fat from poor health, they worked on it.

Loved that article. I am going to have to read it all again, and look around that site more. I have a doctor's appt tomorrow for blood work. I am steadily losing weight so I dont think I am metabolically broken? or metabolic syndrome or whatever, but I havent really read/researched yet how you know if you are and exactly what fixes it, although that article talks about what to do to begin to reverse it. I dont have High BP or high cholesterol but I was very close when I decided to do something other than going to the doctor every year to ask why I was gaining weight. My spring check up, my numbers were waaaaay better than the previous year. Thank you again! I feel so invigorated. It was a like a fresh shot of enthusiasm and hope for the next phase

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Loved that article. I am going to have to read it all again, and look around that site more. I have a doctor's appt tomorrow for blood work. I am steadily losing weight so I dont think I am metabolically broken? or metabolic syndrome or whatever, but I havent really read/researched yet how you know if you are and exactly what fixes it, although that article talks about what to do to begin to reverse it. I dont have High BP or high cholesterol but I was very close when I decided to do something other than going to the doctor every year to ask why I was gaining weight. My spring check up, my numbers were waaaaay better than the previous year. Thank you again! I feel so invigorated. It was a like a fresh shot of enthusiasm and hope for the next phase
    I have been watching you (you got a stalker-ha!). I like country folk, I'm one, too. I could never figure out why I was fat. I cut&split my own firewood, grow a huge garden, run a trapline, hunt, fish, stay outside all summer. Seemed like I should be skinny, blamed it on genetics, and kept getting bigger. I ended up with full-blown metabolic syndrome, high bp, high cholesterol, fatty liver disease, diabetes, all that good stuff. I did what the docs said...eat whole grains and low fat, exercise 60 minutes a day, take my medicine. Didn't work.

What worked was cutting out all processed foods, flour of all kinds, sugar, and vegetable oils. I don't count calories or carbs anymore and eat pretty much whatever I feel like--potatoes, rice, fruit etc..., just not sugar, flour and veg oil. Then I tweaked it further with IF. I skip breakfast every day and eat a regular lunch and dinner--fits well with my lifestyle and feels right. It took me a while to dial in the exercise. I started out walking/hill climbing on the treadmill 60 minutes a day, then added in pushups, pullups and situps. Over the 2 years I have been at this, my exercising is now once a week pullups and pushups, once a week sprinting. Everyday I walk 2-5 miles on my job and around the farm. I get plenty of sleep, and I get real cold in the Winter. I try to get 20-30 minutes of sun without a shirt on every day.

I went from 250lbs down to 160 in about 2 years. I feel great and at 46, I'm in the best shape ever.

I think you just need a few tweaks and you will be there, too.

Thanks I am trying really hard. Well pretty hard. I had some set backs in July, most every weekend, but was able to undo the damage the following week with IF. So I learned that when I say yes to certain things, I have to pay for it for an entire week, and that is an entire week of no forward progress. So the bright side, I can lose it again. I think I lost 14 pounds in July but only 3 of it was new pounds, so that makes July my worst month yet. Too much 20%ing and not enough working outside. And I am just not where I thought I would be by now, so I thought it was just time to step up my game in the exercise department

otzi Guest
    Something to watch out for, don't use IF or exercise as punishment for eating poorly. Get IF and exercise into your normal routine and keep on track with it.

I read all the time on these forums where someone will eat a birthday cake or a bag of cookies and IF the next day to make up for it. I also hear people saying they will do an extra 30 minutes on the treadmill because they ate too much lunch or something.

I think that kind of thinking is counter-productive because it leads to a mentality of, 'I can eat whatever I want and I will pay for it later'. If you fall off the wagon, just get back on.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Something to watch out for, don't use IF or exercise as punishment for eating poorly. Get IF and exercise into your normal routine and keep on track with it.
    I hear ya, thank you! 18/19 hours is a normal. I was striving for 24 to try to undo any damage. 24s are a piece of cake now... ummm I mean, easy peasy now Doing anything more is a bit more difficult. Yesterday was a really easy 24 though, so I had 3 days of light calories. Today, I had to open the window early. I was hungry but I'm still doing okay. I do still track. It just helps me so much at this point in the game.

Thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast