Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to eat at Chick Fil A today page 9

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by laura642 View Post
    Wow... whatever happened to a private business being able to make their own decisions. Why is it only OK when a business supports gay marriage? Just don't eat there if you do not agree abd give it a rest already.

Try a grilled chicken salad without dressing. That is probably the best.
    Not taking a stance on this, but that is exactly what people are doing when they refuse to eat there over the companies position. ::shrug::
    Last edited by Jiigigaw; 08-02-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps we could begin a separate thread, for our tangential mini-discussion, monogamy & such, to continue off Chick-Fil-A & pro/anti gay, free speech thread. Jmho, kenn is either an adept troll for starting this thread as he did, or he's no troll but merely droll...
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    It's early...
    I couldn't get much past "wriggling oily coconut rubdowns" along with your smiling avatar.

Except that my husband is WAY better at monogamy that I am. I don't think it has anything to do with him being conservative and feeling it is 'enforced' somehow, he's a pretty liberal guy (or I wouldn't have married him). He just seems to be one of those natural born faithful as the day is long kinda guys.
    Me, being less than straight, I still miss the ladies sometimes. But I don't feel that it is particularly enforced that I stay away from them. Husband isn't interested in an extra GF(he is quite sure one is enough), but would be OK with me to filling my needs if it was really a problem for me.
    I think that most people are too focused on the 'possession' aspect of relationships to make multiples work though. It really takes everyone saying "Hey, were all here because we want to be here, not because we feel some sort of obligation, and not because we are monitoring the other persons activity". I think that VERY few people can get past those things. At least in our selfish Western culture.

Honestly, as much as I've been sick with chronic illness... husband is exactly the person for the situation. We are friends as much as lovers, and not really what I would call a traditional couple. The divorce rates for people who are chronically ill are around 75%... with that being skewed heavily towards husbands who leave chronically ill wives, because wives are more likely to take on the caregiver role.

I dreamed I was hanging out with Til Lindeman after a concert last night... but it was non-sexual. Does that count as a fantasy?

I also find it interesting that so many conservatives who are in support of the Chickenplace, and appalled at the liberals boycotting it over 'free-speech' are also the same people that have/do participate in boycotts against many other companies (JC Pennys, Target, Oreo, Disney, and LOTS more) who have taken a pro-gay stance.
    There is even a conservative boycott of Homedepot, formerly outed for giving money to an anti-gay charity, who changed their tune and became 'pro-gay' by stoping the donations to the questionable charity and vocalizing that they now have a open and safe workplace policy.
    And it's great your hubbie is so supportive & that you're best buds as well as lovers/partners. He sounds like an awesome dude. Kudos for both of you finding & picking each other, sticking with "it" through thick & thin...

I'm not an all or nothing kinda guy. I have opinions, some based on my own experiences or others around me, some based on nothing more than ethics, knowledge or whim. the happiest, most successful couples I know are former polymorists who are now married & monogamous, having worked out all there former unresolved drama, trauma or maturity issues. Or they are unmarried couples who are monogamous, or openly & fluidly triads or even swingers some of the time. Honesty is the key, kindness too, & keeping jealousy in rein. Northern Calif is rife w/ all variations of the alternative lifestyles, some of which, are actually pretty old & traditional in ancient or current isolated societies.

Dreams are not fantasies, are they? Unless you believe this world is the dream & sleep time is the reality. Then it'd all be reversed. Fantasies are cool, so are dreams. the stuff of creative minds , childhood, dreamweavers & changemakers. It's just out of balance fantasies, like repeatedly wanting sex with someone other than your partner, not feeling free to actually act on it for real, for fear of breakup, divorce & its financial ramifications, shame (inter-personal, religious, or community based), banishment, in some facked societies, even a death sentence. I say, be open, be honest, get laid or whatever your kink is, but just keep it together.

Ownership/possession mentality is something I saw are faulty logic & not something that would ever work. It's akin to slavery, owning someone, whether its a laborer or a spouse. Partnership & co-creation, thats the ticket.
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-02-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

ELizabeth826 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I also find it interesting that so many conservatives who are in support of the Chickenplace, and appalled at the liberals boycotting it over 'free-speech' are also the same people that have/do participate in boycotts against many other companies (JC Pennys, Target, Oreo, Disney, and LOTS more) who have taken a pro-gay stance.
    I think this is a great point. Vote with you dollar and don't complain when someone else does the same. Think they are an asshole, hate them for it, whatever, but sadly you have to let them do it. People on both sides of the debate (of any debate, really) want the rules to bend in their favor and stay rigid for their opponent. But that isn't how it should work. So sack up, put on your big girl panties, be an adult and stop whining that I don't agree this some rich, old, religious, white dude. And frankly I don't care if it's his opinion or the company's, if it's his money or the company's. I don't want to support his business. I choose not to eat there. You don't have to like or respect me for that, just like I don't have to like or respect you if you do choose to eat there.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    Back when I was a teenager growing up in Virginia in the 80s, a few of us got together and started a gay youth group. We first started meeting in what was essentially an abandoned building because no one else would have us. The local gay paper gave us a small ad each month and I volunteered to put my phone number for a contact number in it. I wasn't prepared for it. Not at all. One of the phone calls a 17yo was calling telling me that his dad, who was "general patton", saw something on the news about "those gays" and said that he would wish his son was dead than one of "them". As he was talking I heard this faint metallic sound and I finally figured it out and just yelled at him to put the revolver down. Kinda startled him cause he did. He's still around, started coming to meetings, but there was another one that called me I didn't manage to talk off the ledge. When reading about it in the paper, I was the only person that knew why he shot himself with a shotgun. I was the only person he ever told. Still haunts me to this day.
    So yeah dude, oh really. In my own lifetime, in my own experience, someone I knew picked up a shotgun and shot himself in the face because he couldn't handle all the homophobic BS handed out to him over and over and over from folks like the ones you see queued up to get their frakkin chicken.
    For y'all, it's just your opinion. In this day and age, just one more thing to argue about on the internet pretending you have any bloody clue what you are talking about with your fine talking points or your political arguments hashed out yet again. To the kid growing up back where I come from, watching TV with his family, watching the bigots queue up to get their chicken to make a point about their bigotry pretending it's about "Freedom" and hearing his dad say "if it was my son..." I'm telling you it's yes really a matter of life and death.
    I survived, but I paid a price. When I appeared in a newspaper my family tossed me out and I had to make it on my own as a teen instead of going to college. I had to wait until I was past the age they had to count my father's income before I could get any sort of financial aid because my father refused to fill out the paperwork. Or answer the phone. Or letters. Or Christmas cards. Or even come to my college graduation. I've given up.
    So go queue up for your chicken and pretend you are doing it for "freedom". One friend from those youth group days posted today "I don't think you're a bigot because you eat at Chick-fil-A. I think you're an asshole because you're bragging about it." and that's how I started off when I saw that thread. But no, I'm just gonna say that if you actually got into your car and queued up for your chicken just to make a point, then yeah, wear that bigot badge proudly. Just remember: when some get gets bullied, beaten up or kills himself, you helped make that happen.
    Yeah, its something future generations will look back at our society & scratch their heads about: why would inter-racial marriage be opposed, violently, than later made officially "ok" & legal but gay marriage not be "ok" & legal? Just coz the bible told me so? So I suppose inter-racial gay marriage must REALLY get those bigots in a tizzy ... Chick-Fil-A, as a set of products, are NOT OK imo, but it is legal to sell it. So the two things, "ok" & "legal" are mutually exclusive of each other at times. But this whole anti-gay shite, it's just a touch of the Dark Ages, isn't it? Imo, its not a free-speech issue at all, it's a what's-right-and-moral issue. And this is coming from a southern hetero boy, who is living once again in the deep south , just for a spell longer...
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-02-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

ELizabeth826 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    Back when I was a teenager growing up in Virginia in the 80s, a few of us got together and started a gay youth group. We first started meeting in what was essentially an abandoned building because no one else would have us. The local gay paper gave us a small ad each month and I volunteered to put my phone number for a contact number in it. I wasn't prepared for it. Not at all. One of the phone calls a 17yo was calling telling me that his dad, who was "general patton", saw something on the news about "those gays" and said that he would wish his son was dead than one of "them". As he was talking I heard this faint metallic sound and I finally figured it out and just yelled at him to put the revolver down. Kinda startled him cause he did. He's still around, started coming to meetings, but there was another one that called me I didn't manage to talk off the ledge. When reading about it in the paper, I was the only person that knew why he shot himself with a shotgun. I was the only person he ever told. Still haunts me to this day.

So yeah dude, oh really. In my own lifetime, in my own experience, someone I knew picked up a shotgun and shot himself in the face because he couldn't handle all the homophobic BS handed out to him over and over and over from folks like the ones you see queued up to get their frakkin chicken.

For y'all, it's just your opinion. In this day and age, just one more thing to argue about on the internet pretending you have any bloody clue what you are talking about with your fine talking points or your political arguments hashed out yet again. To the kid growing up back where I come from, watching TV with his family, watching the bigots queue up to get their chicken to make a point about their bigotry pretending it's about "Freedom" and hearing his dad say "if it was my son..." I'm telling you it's yes really a matter of life and death.

I survived, but I paid a price. When I appeared in a newspaper my family tossed me out and I had to make it on my own as a teen instead of going to college. I had to wait until I was past the age they had to count my father's income before I could get any sort of financial aid because my father refused to fill out the paperwork. Or answer the phone. Or letters. Or Christmas cards. Or even come to my college graduation. I've given up.

So go queue up for your chicken and pretend you are doing it for "freedom". One friend from those youth group days posted today "I don't think you're a bigot because you eat at Chick-fil-A. I think you're an asshole because you're bragging about it." and that's how I started off when I saw that thread. But no, I'm just gonna say that if you actually got into your car and queued up for your chicken just to make a point, then yeah, wear that bigot badge proudly. Just remember: when some get gets bullied, beaten up or kills himself, you helped make that happen.

Kestral, I am so incredibly sorry that this happened to you. I even begin to understand how a person could not only survive but come to thrive after such experiences.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Seriously, you all need a bucket of chicken and gravy to dip it in!
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    Arab countries put homosexuals to death, and yet I see everyone is still driving their car today. Who cares if Chick-fil-a wants to support traditional marriage.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

Never ate there before, sure as hell not gonna eat there now.

It's not just that Chick-Fil-A "supports traditional marriage." They got a lot of bat-shit crazy served up alongside that particular notion.

Quote Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
    Arab countries put homosexuals to death, and yet I see everyone is still driving their car today. Who cares if Chick-fil-a wants to support traditional marriage.
    Last time I checked, people were fighting oil dependency for many reasons. " I see everyone is still driving their cars today" Seriously? Transportation is kind of necessary. You can't function in modern society without it. I'd love a horse and buggy myself, but you know, I don't think I could keep one in my apartment.

What silly thing to compare people's unwillingness to eat at a restaurant to.

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm just pointing how easy it is to pick and choose your protests. How many current "protesters" of Chick-fil-a had even stepped foot in their restaurant before arbitrary choosing to now boycott it?

Like most things, convenience always wins over conviction. If it makes you feel good to not eat crappy fast food, good for you. But that doesn't change the fact that most peoples beliefs are ultimately riddled with contradiction.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast