Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to eat at Chick Fil A today page 7

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    How about some rational thoughts on the subject?

The Artificial Controversy of Chick-fil-A | JasonWiedel.com
    All true.
    But I do make decisions to spend money, where I have a choice in the matter, to NOT support companies that I find out are at odds with my own beliefs and try to go out of my way to support companies that do agree with my beliefs.
    We bought a hybrid to reduce gasoline consumption, we do not shop at several different companies that support anti-gay causes such as Walmart, I won't purchase apple products or others with similar issues, and so on.

When I make donations it's to causes that I believe in (both local, and charities such as Heifer Int'l), and I feel fine spending my dollars at companies who are more in line with my own beliefs as well.
    I don't see any issue with that.

I don't eat at ChickfilA because I don't eat fast food and I didn't like the taste of their food from the two experiences I've had with it in the past, but if I did eat fast food I would vote with my dollars by eating elsewhere.
    I also don't eat Oreos... so there ya go (came out supporting gay rights).

It's not about just ChickfilA, it's about awareness.
    That's my 2c.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    The gay marriage debate is just more politicians trying to divide America even more. GET GOVERNMENT OUT OF MARRIAGE ALL TOGETHER. Let every union be a civil union in the eyes of the law. Let churches worry about marriage, if a gay couple can find a church to perform a ceremony so be it. Marriage is a biblical term and should have no place in american law.
    Well put!

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    o:

you support their support of no gay marriage!

why don't you and sarah palin get married!!
    So you don't believe in free speech? So when Obama was against gay marriage you wrote a letter to him or perhaps protested in front of the White House?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    It's not just the fact that Cathy has said opinions, it's that he donates substantial amounts of money to organizations that are anti-gay, including "Exodus international," which claims it can "cure the gay". Actions speak louder than words.
    So he can't spend his money where he wants to spend it? Got it.

He also donates a lot of money to various charities. Do you? And where you donate your own money is my business, why?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I think it's time for this again.

Quote Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post
    So you don't believe in free speech? So when Obama was against gay marriage you wrote a letter to him or perhaps protested in front of the White House?
    I believe in everyone's right to free speech, including people who disagree.

So he can't spend his money where he wants to spend it? Got it.

He also donates a lot of money to various charities. Do you? And where you donate your own money is my business, why?
    I'm also FOR people using their own money to support/not support businesses/causes/charities that they believe in/disagree with if that is what they choose to do.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-01-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by primalsun View Post
    Just wanted to post here so that I can condense the views of those not supporting chik- Fil- A

It is NOT about freedom of speech.

If you believe marriage to be a certain way based on your religion, thats totally fine with me. However, it is not OK with me for you to support anti-gay groups that fight equality, although it is still your right to do so. By spending money at Chik- Fil- A, you are supporting these anti-gay groups they donate money too. This is a real issue for me. I do not want my money to go towards supporting inequality.

If Dan Cathy said he didn't support interracial marriage, would you still be so eager to support his business? Well, its hard to believe but less than 40 years ago the issue of interracial marriage was still being hotly debated. This is no different. Stand up for what is right. And if you are religious (or not), stand up for what is LOVE.
    Interracial marriage was still marriage between a man and woman. So it's okay to bash Amazon because they are pro-gay marriage?

It's still free speech. And I still buy at Amazon. Why is everybody so nuts?

kenn is offline Senior Member
    It's not commercial speech in this case. The CEO made a comment that his corporation donates to groups that support fundamentalist Christian doctrine. The act of contributing money to an organization that advocates for these values is political speech and covered by Citizens United. The regulation of commercial speech is pretty much limited to making false or misleading claims about a company's products or services.

The government can't do anything about it and has admitted as much. It's the right of this guy to promote his values, but he does so at the risk of losing business from those that disagree with him. The government could back door screw him by not giving equal access to building permits or holding him up in the bureaucracy. And the chicken haters would probably applaud because unethical behavior on the part of the government to right a wrong is worthy of applause, right?

CFA has publicly stated that they will no longer comment on political issues.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

http://jasonwiedel.files.wordpress.c...a_gasoline.jpg

Perhaps you have seen this photo floating around Facebook. “So, you stopped eating at Chick-fil-A because the owner of the company thinks that homosexuality is wrong. Tell me, when are you going to stop buying gasoline because the owners of OPEC put homosexuals to death?

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Lobbying =/= voluntary exchange. CFA appeals to the government to enforce their bullshit on the people, as well as to shield them from market competition via the protectionist-regulatory racket and subsidized seed oil, grain, and cafo chicken industries. It's the exact opposite of a "free market" transaction, if the term is to have any coherent meaning.

Sure, you're free to oppose same-sex marriage - via your mouth, head, anus, or some combination of the three. Opposing same-sex marriage via the political means (voting, lobbying, lawmaking, etc.) is an act of violent coercion, just as surely as if you picked up a rifle and shot gay people in the face. It's not just a matter of personal preference or opinion at that point.

On the other hand, boycotting CFA's crap is an example of free market activity - with the caveat that the boycotters and victims are on the wrong end of an artificially unequal power struggle.

http://jasonwiedel.files.wordpress.c...a_gasoline.jpg

Perhaps you have seen this photo floating around Facebook. “So, you stopped eating at Chick-fil-A because the owner of the company thinks that homosexuality is wrong. Tell me, when are you going to stop buying gasoline because the owners of OPEC put homosexuals to death?
    Americans are artificially dependent on gasoline in a very big way, whereas CFA is just one company. People have to make do with what they can to survive in the system that's enforced on them.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 08-01-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Picaro is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    +1 Douchey, agreed.

Oh & a primal group marriage sounds fun: can we serve raw meat & offal @ the reception & a primal wedding cake or 2 or 3?
    According to this anthropological tome Grok is a non-monogamous being. I'll bet theres a correlation between monogamy and illness both physical and emotional. And we all know correlation = causation.

This being the case shouldnt we be banding together to put a stop to monogamy, rather than adding to its numbers?

Maybe we should be discussing the benefits of coconut oil rubdowns followed by wriggling around together like earthworms.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast