Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to eat at Chick Fil A today page 10

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
    I'm just pointing how easy it is to pick and choose your protests. How many current "protesters" of Chick-fil-a had even stepped foot in their restaurant before arbitrary choosing to now boycott it?

Like most things, convenience always wins over conviction. If it makes you feel good to not eat crappy fast food, good for you. But that doesn't change the fact that most peoples beliefs are ultimately riddled with contradiction.
    You should post more often
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    You should post more often
    Haha thanks Kenn, I always enjoy your posts too when I get a chance to log in.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Arab countries put homosexuals to death, and yet I see everyone is still driving their car today. Who cares if Chick-fil-a wants to support traditional marriage.
    Yeah. I have a little old car with a ten gallon tank that I probably fill 4x per year. I recently read a magazine article (paper!) that was an op ed piece on how this woman felt guilty on vacation because "up in the mountains," she had to get in her car to go just about anywhere whereas in the city, she used mass transportation or walked everywhere, belonged to a co-op where she go cheap(er) organic meats and produce, etc.

Also, (and this is crappy of me), I figure my generation tried to get things righted. I remember living in a community in the 70s where we paid extra for a recycling dumpster. "Them danged hippies" pushed for energy independence and were summarily shut down as radicals who wanted to put those wonderful oil producers out of business. So, now I'm old. And I have no kids, which means I didn't create any more little polluters. If you want to get things moving, don't look to me. Rub my feet and bring me some boiled shrimp.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Arab countries put homosexuals to death, and yet I see everyone is still driving their car today. Who cares if Chick-fil-a wants to support traditional marriage.
    Well, for starters, the phrase "support traditional marriage" is wingnut-speak for "use every means at our disposal to restrict the freedoms we enjoy only to people who think and act like us". If "support traditional marriage" actually meant doing nothing more harmful than simply expressing views or supporting organizations working for the promotion of the institution, I wouldn't have any issue with it besides probably thinking it was a little narrow-minded. But what these organizations are actually doing, by and large, is lobbying and campaigning to restrict the freedoms of people they disagree with ideologically. They are pushing for the passage of laws and amendments that would encode their religious beliefs into secular law. They are also lying on a massive scale, claiming that gay marriage harms society while providing no evidence whatsoever--in fact ignoring or contradicting the evidence that is available from countries that already have legal same-sex marriage, where no harm has befallen straight marriages or religious freedom or society as a whole. Since I believe very strongly that restricting the freedoms of other people without demonstrating that the exercise of those freedoms leads to harm is unjust and morally wrong, I also feel very strongly about opposing groups that engage in that kind of behavior.

As for the hypocrisy inherent in driving a car when you oppose the actions of some oil producers, there are several key differences between the two situations. One, driving a car and otherwise using petroleum is central to getting along in American society. In most places it is impossible to engage in nearly any meaningful commercial or social activity without using oil in some form. Two, it is impossible to know where the gasoline in my tank actually came from, oil being a fungible, internationally-traded commodity with an opaque (to the consumer) chain of supply and distribution; and, in fact, aside from eschewing the entire machine altogether and living in the woods wearing animal skins, there is no way for me to ensure that I am buying gasoline only from countries whose actions I support. Chick-fil-A, on the other hand, is one provider in a sea of choices when it comes to fast food, and so I am capable of voting with my dollars in an informed manner that is impossible while buying gasoline.

The bottom line is that I don't fault people for hypocrisy when they have no good options--I would pay a premium for "cruelty-free" gasoline and plastic, but such products do not exist, and avoiding the whole market would have unacceptable impact on my quality of life and social participation. When it comes to fast food we have more options and more knowledge, and are therefore more responsible for the choices we make.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 08-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'm just pointing how easy it is to pick and choose your protests. How many current "protesters" of Chick-fil-a had even stepped foot in their restaurant before arbitrary choosing to now boycott it?

Like most things, convenience always wins over conviction. If it makes you feel good to not eat crappy fast food, good for you. But that doesn't change the fact that most peoples beliefs are ultimately riddled with contradiction.
    Husband was eating there for lunch at times because of convenience when working. He no longer does/will.
    He has decided to move his business to a locally owned business nearby instead.
    He already ate there... he just may be there more often now.
    Plus he and a friend checked out a new local business that they hadn't eaten at before to throw into the rotation.

We needed to replace our old daily use vehicle, we bought a fuel efficient hybrid that gets over twice the mpg.

Life isn't perfect... You do what you can.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    In the 60's, John Lennon in an interview made the statement that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus. Christians went absolutely crazy! They held public Beatle record and memorabilia burnings, boycotted radio stations and made death threats to the band and John. So much for supporting free speech.

No one likes being told what they can or cannot do, and no one likes it when their beliefs are challenged. CFA can speak out against the gay lifestyle, and gays can protest it, and Christians can protest the gay protesters, and so on. It's all "free" speech, right?

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Wasn't the whole point to support Chick Fil A an effort to stick a thumb in the eye of Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel? If a public official can use corrosion against one company like this it can do the same to your business.

Since some are down on the oil business and I'm in that business you can hate me
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELizabeth826 View Post
    Kestral, I am so incredibly sorry that this happened to you. I even begin to understand how a person could not only survive but come to thrive after such experiences.
    Me too, kestral. Your posts made me very sad. Big hug.

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Well, for starters, the phrase "support traditional marriage" is wingnut-speak for "use every means at our disposal to restrict the freedoms we enjoy only to people who think and act like us". If "support traditional marriage" actually meant doing nothing more harmful than simply expressing views or supporting organizations working for the promotion of the institution, I wouldn't have any issue with it besides probably thinking it was a little narrow-minded. But what these organizations are actually doing, by and large, is lobbying and campaigning to restrict the freedoms of people they disagree with ideologically.
    But is it not Chick-fil-A's "freedom" to support organizations that want to lobby congress for religious laws? You can't have it both ways if your going to arbitrarily throw everything under the sun into a generic pile of rights and freedoms. It seems to me that you would also like to restrict Chick-fil-A's "freedom" to engage in this activity, because of a political opinion.

As for the petroleum/gas comment, you have the obvious point that avoiding such products is difficult in today's society. But it still boils down to the root point, convenience over conviction. It's easy for you (or any hypothetical person) to boycott Chick-fil-A because there are a myriad of fast food joints to choose from. The gasoline example, while extreme, was meant to make a much simpler point; that one can boycott a shitty fast food restaurant, self-righteously pat themselves on the back and then declare themselves a civil rights leader. But oops, nothing was really accomplished.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    I survived, but I paid a price. When I appeared in a newspaper my family tossed me out and I had to make it on my own as a teen instead of going to college. I had to wait until I was past the age they had to count my father's income before I could get any sort of financial aid because my father refused to fill out the paperwork. Or answer the phone. Or letters. Or Christmas cards. Or even come to my college graduation. I've given up.

So go queue up for your chicken and pretend you are doing it for "freedom". One friend from those youth group days posted today "I don't think you're a bigot because you eat at Chick-fil-A. I think you're an asshole because you're bragging about it." and that's how I started off when I saw that thread. But no, I'm just gonna say that if you actually got into your car and queued up for your chicken just to make a point, then yeah, wear that bigot badge proudly. Just remember: when some get gets bullied, beaten up or kills himself, you helped make that happen.
    QFT.
    Kestrel, I am so sorry for what you and countless others have been put through. Let's hope the next generation does a better job of being kind to each other and respecting each other's rights.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast