Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Gal Goes Paleo page

MissPaleo is offline Junior Member

Cool College Gal Goes Paleo

Primal Fuel
    Hi Paleo Community!

I've never done a blog before but I have always wanted to give it a shot. I started one a few months ago via Blogger, but I didn't have any motivation or support to follow through with it, probably because I felt like I was talking to myself without any reciprocation of love and support! But, since this paleo community seems very social, so supportive, and fun to interact with, I hope that through fun conversations and feedback, I can follow through with it. Not only that, but this will keep me in check on a paleo lifestyle as I am currently on Day 2 of my 30 Day Paleo Challenge.

I went paleo two years ago, about the same time of the year, and saw amazing results. I got down to my lowest weight of 118lbs, was at my peak fitness, and was at my best mental state! But, one word pretty much ruined all that hard work and determination: College.

Sticking to a plan like paleo throughout college felt impossible for me as I transitioned into this new lifestyle. The beginning of the year had so many events with free cookies, pizza, and going out to parties (and drinking...). Oh, and not to mention living in an apartment where I struggled to figure out what to cook on a college budget while resisting the non-paleo foods my roommates devoured in front of me.

Another year has gone by, and now being at my heaviest weight of 133lbs, I want to tackle the next school year with a vengeance. New apartment, new lifestyle, and new me - ready to inspire and ready to be inspired! I'm starting off with my own 30 Day Paleo Challenge to kickstart the transition. I want to continue journaling the college experience of being on a college budget, resisting temptations of free finger foods at parties, and what not. I will allow myself non-paleo foods if there's no way around it - such as not being able to control how foods are cooked at restaurants, or the occasional add-in of dairy or dark chocolate if I'm feeling it.

I'm ready to see my body transform and to feel mentally and physically healthy and happy! I'd love to hear any advice, feedback, from whoever, whenever! Thank you!

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    I know exactly where you're coming from with a lot of this lol I'm 19 it's tough but sooo worth how I look and feel. Good luck to you!

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    The fact that you have some to a place like this 'The school of Grok,' and want to make a change than I think you will. Just remember fat and protein are your friends. Grains, not so much. They talk about you behind your back, they cant be trusted.

Richard

Thank you! That's great, I'm feeling better and better each and every day, and no crazy temptations as of yet. Do you have a strategy to staying primal?

Haha thanks Richard! Yeah, grains are backstabbers!

Happy Wednesday!

It's the start of a new month, Day 3 of 30, feeling good feeling great! So, I'm still trying to research as much as I can about the primal lifestyle, I haven't read the book yet but it seems like I don't need to considering there are hundreds of articles and little freebies of information that I can get on the website. The thing that is concerning me as I continue this lifestyle is getting bored with my ingredients and recipes. First off, I don't have the money to afford some good quality steak, in which I have to resort to canned salmon (an actual favorite), or just chicken from the local Trader Joe's. I'm trying to branch out of eating the same vegetables, but even that's kind of a problem because if I branch out and eat new things, I probably won't get the same satisfying taste I would get with my favorite vegetables. It seems like the only solution would be to mix it up with spices and sauces, but I'm not sure exactly what's primal and what's not...I guess that's for me to figure out.

Does anyone have any pointers on making similar recipes but just changing up the taste?

As for me, no physical changes as of yet. I am waking up naturally literally a minute before my alarm goes off, though. Oh my gosh, I realized it's 5pm and I didn't have my coffee at all today, nor did I need it - whoahhh...magic! As I'm writing this, I'm noshing on mixed nuts, those will be the death of me. I know I'm only supposed to have a handful or two, but those dried cranberries make it so..good...

My thoughts are everywhere today, but has anyone seen or heard of the Nike Fuelband? I think it's a great supplementary tool on the primal lifestyle that keep you on track to staying active. Basically, it has an accelerometer that tracks every type of movement, from walking, to dancing, to boxing, and calculates "Fuelpoints." It adds up until the end of the day up until your specific target number of Fuelpoints, based on your height, weight, and average activity level. It also tracks calories, steps, and time. It's a very sleek black design and people give me so many compliments on it, they want to get one too! Because the primal lifestyle is so into staying active throughout the entire day, having a Fuelband reminds me that oh, I should probably walk home instead of taking the bus, or nahh, I shouldn't take the elevator, I should use the stairs. I definitely definitely recommend it!

Anyways, see ya!

KKDMB is offline Member
    I just wanted to give a shout out to a fellow college student! Good luck and enjoy the ride
    Live Clean, Love Hard. Or vice versa.

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPaleo View Post
    Thank you! That's great, I'm feeling better and better each and every day, and no crazy temptations as of yet. Do you have a strategy to staying primal?
    You'll continue feeling better, that's for sure. I think just finding and surrounding yourself with people who are open minded about the lifestyle and not so pushy about drinking beer and eating pizza helps.

It also helps to not be so regimented sometimes, if it feels like a "diet" then you'll be tempted to cheat. IMO there's days you eat primal and there's days you don't, it's not the end of the world. Do your best and just get back on the bandwagon if an off day happens. It gets muchhhhh easier as time goes on

Nice meeting you!

Wow, you are in GREAT shape! 124 is exactly where I'd want to be, and I'm many inches shorter than you...hahaha :/ What's your fitness regimen?

Yeah, I agree. It seems like nowadays eating is such a social bonding thing that people seriously think I'm weird if I pass up dessert or decide not to eat chips, or drink as much. Especially, because my friends knew me before being primal, so they know of course I love to eat those things. And now, they just look down on me, and it makes me feel bad making good decisions!

But, right now, it's great. Only when school starts back up will I start to get the pressures and temptations to give in! We'll see how it goes! Thanks for chatting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast