Thread: Help with staying primal page

cheffy is offline Member

Help with staying primal

Shop Now
    Ive been on and off primal for about a year now. It seems like I can eat great for a few days, and then go on a sugar/grain binge. I really want to quit eating sugar and grains, and it seems doable for the first day or two, then I start craving sugar.

Im not sure if it's a physical or psychological craving, but it gets to the point to where all I think about is sweets. When I'm not working it's easier to eat better foods. I am a chef and I work around sugary food and grains all day long, so it gets REALLY hard to abstain when it's all in my face. Ive tried adding in more carbs, doing no carbs, and I always end up craving sugar again.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice/guidance/encouragement about how to end the sugar cravings/binges for good. I may start a journal just to give myself some accountability. Has anybody else gone through something like this? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS I'm 20 years old, male, 5'10", 165lbs, pretty active, fat loss/muscle building is my goal, if this info helps.
    Thanks!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Start a journal - it'll be easier to help if we have more information.
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

Nady is offline Senior Member
    1st. question~ Do you taste as you cook? I had that habit and I don't cook for a living! Sometimes, just one taste is all it takes to trigger a craving. Try keeping your mouth busy with a piece of SF gum or a slice of dill pickle~

2nd. question~ Do you eat fruit? Grapes are in season, perfect little bite sized sugar bombs, freeze some, make them your go-to sugar fix. If you're going to eat sugar, make it the healthy kind.

3rd. not a question. Just because you 'slip' is not justification to say *oh hell* and throw all your efforts out the window with a binge. Believe me, if Grok found a honey tree, he stopped and ate the honey! But he didn't stop hunting and gathering

missblue is offline Senior Member
    At some point you really have to choose not to eat sugar and let your body convert to fat burning.
    Until you are ready to do that, the cravings will be there. I encourage you to do that--the diet gets easier when you aren't craving all the time. But it comes down to you what you actually consume on a daily basis. I started and stopped several times but finally am getting with the program long term. So be patient, but also honest with yourself about the choices you are making, and you will succeed.
    Good luck

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    Ive been on and off primal for about a year now. It seems like I can eat great for a few days, and then go on a sugar/grain binge. I really want to quit eating sugar and grains, and it seems doable for the first day or two, then I start craving sugar.

Im not sure if it's a physical or psychological craving, but it gets to the point to where all I think about is sweets. When I'm not working it's easier to eat better foods. I am a chef and I work around sugary food and grains all day long, so it gets REALLY hard to abstain when it's all in my face. Ive tried adding in more carbs, doing no carbs, and I always end up craving sugar again.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice/guidance/encouragement about how to end the sugar cravings/binges for good. I may start a journal just to give myself some accountability. Has anybody else gone through something like this? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS I'm 20 years old, male, 5'10", 165lbs, pretty active, fat loss/muscle building is my goal, if this info helps.
    Thanks!
    Maybe you'd find it easier to cut out one thing at a time, e.g. wheat first, then all grains, then added sugar, then all sugar (if necessary). Or maybe you just need more carbs because you're active, so try eating more healthy carbs. I used to eat pasta all the time and I thought I'd never be able to give it up but I told myself that if I want pasta then I have to eat rice instead, and soon I stopped caring about it because rice isn't "addictive" to me like wheat is.

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    1st. question~ Do you taste as you cook? I had that habit and I don't cook for a living! Sometimes, just one taste is all it takes to trigger a craving. Try keeping your mouth busy with a piece of SF gum or a slice of dill pickle~

2nd. question~ Do you eat fruit? Grapes are in season, perfect little bite sized sugar bombs, freeze some, make them your go-to sugar fix. If you're going to eat sugar, make it the healthy kind.

3rd. not a question. Just because you 'slip' is not justification to say *oh hell* and throw all your efforts out the window with a binge. Believe me, if Grok found a honey tree, he stopped and ate the honey! But he didn't stop hunting and gathering
    1. I do have to taste some things sometimes, but what mostly sets off the cravings is anything sweet.
    2. I haven't been eating fruit so maybe I will try that....
    3. I have been trying to teach myself to just have that one treat and stop, if possible. Sugar really does feel like a drug! Thanks for the advice

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missblue View Post
    At some point you really have to choose not to eat sugar and let your body convert to fat burning.
    Until you are ready to do that, the cravings will be there. I encourage you to do that--the diet gets easier when you aren't craving all the time. But it comes down to you what you actually consume on a daily basis. I started and stopped several times but finally am getting with the program long term. So be patient, but also honest with yourself about the choices you are making, and you will succeed.
    Good luck
    Thanks, I pray to God I can get with it soon!