Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate

Hybrid View

Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate

Many countries and regions within countries are deficient in iodine, which is an important mineral for a number of processes in the body, especially thyroid function, and many of us need to increase our intake for optimal health.

I'm sure that most of us aren't particularly interested in reading all of the (now locked) Iodine thread, with its 4149 posts, many of which are filled with ad hominim and/or ad verecundiam (from authority) arguments. Plus many of us are still very interested in talking at each other about our own iodine related activities and beliefs.

Hence, yet another iodine thread.

Please remember that we're allowed to disagree with each other, but we're not allowed to be rude, be insulting, or indulge in purposeless inflammatory posts. It's in the forum rules.

Personally, I'm currently taking about 350mcg of iodine per day as part of a multivitamin, and a few days a week I'm adding in around another 3mg. I'm getting plenty of selenium too, so hopefully I'm not doing myself any damage with these doses (which are, by most standards, fairly safe). New Zealand has fairly poor levels of both iodine and selenium, and I really don't like seafood.

What are your thoughts?

I read the report by Dr. Brownstein a few years ago - it was still free online, so I think it was before he turned it into a book. it all seemed reasonable to me, so I dove in. I tend to be pretty open to experimenting, and I was soon up to 12 mg per day using Lugol's solution. The biggest thing I noticed was that my nearly lifelong case of athlete's foot disappeared - completely. I had no ill effects from the dosage and even went higher on a few occasions. I happen to love seafood, but don't eat much of it. I was also having a weird skin 'thing' on my eyelid, which went away as well - although that was about the time I started on the PB, so don't know what cured that.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    I read the report by Dr. Brownstein a few years ago - it was still free online, so I think it was before he turned it into a book. it all seemed reasonable to me, so I dove in. I tend to be pretty open to experimenting, and I was soon up to 12 mg per day using Lugol's solution. The biggest thing I noticed was that my nearly lifelong case of athlete's foot disappeared - completely. I had no ill effects from the dosage and even went higher on a few occasions. I happen to love seafood, but don't eat much of it. I was also having a weird skin 'thing' on my eyelid, which went away as well - although that was about the time I started on the PB, so don't know what cured that.
    Any idea why he recommends a magnesium supplement? I'm sure most people aren't getting as much as they should, but is there an actual reason related to the iodine supplementation and/or the thyroid?

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
    Any idea why he recommends a magnesium supplement? I'm sure most people aren't getting as much as they should, but is there an actual reason related to the iodine supplementation and/or the thyroid?
    I'm curious about the supplements as well. Following are the "required" supplements:

1/2 tsp unrefined salt
    Selenium 200 mcg
    Magnesium 400 mg
    Vitamin C 2000 mg +
    ATP Co-Factors (100 mg Riboflavin, 500 mg Niacin)

I have read elsewhere (Paul Jaminet at perfecthealthdiet.com) that adequate levels of selenium are essential when supplementing iodine, but I'm not so sure about the other supplements. Obviously some level of them are required anyway (independent of iodine supplementation), and many people are likely deficient in at least a couple of them (magnesium and selenium especially). I was taking magnesium and also eating a brazil nut each day as "selenium insurance" before I ever thought about supplementing iodine.

As for the other supplements, the sea salt (NOT table salt !!! ) being required seems like bunk to me. Most people get plenty of salt, and I don't see why it needs to be sea salt anyway. The other minerals in sea salt besides NaCl are in microscopic amounts anyway. Supposedly the vitamin C is for the "detox symptoms", but I'm not sure I buy that either. If I got those symptoms, I'd just take less iodine. And finally, on the ATP Co-factors, that's a supplement sold by Brownstein's partner I believe. I can't imagine that I'm deficient in any of the B's, and that seems like a lot more Niacin then needed.

By the way, I just take 225 mcg of Potassium iodide each day, along with an occasional seaweed snack (the Seasnax are great, by the way!).

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    As for the other supplements, the sea salt (NOT table salt !!! ) being required seems like bunk to me. Most people get plenty of salt, and I don't see why it needs to be sea salt anyway. The other minerals in sea salt besides NaCl are in microscopic amounts anyway. Supposedly the vitamin C is for the "detox symptoms", but I'm not sure I buy that either. If I got those symptoms, I'd just take less iodine. And finally, on the ATP Co-factors, that's a supplement sold by Brownstein's partner I believe. I can't imagine that I'm deficient in any of the B's, and that seems like a lot more Niacin then needed.
    From reading the prior thread, it sounded like the salt was to add sodium to help get rid of bromine displaced by the iodine. So basically it's there for detox symptoms, much like the vitamin C.

That said, the added salt could also be to counteract the amount of potassium in the mega doses of potassium iodide; the ratio of sodium to potassium in the body is important. Of course, I'm completely speculating here, so take this with a grain of salt ;-)

Edit: Of course, five minutes after writing that, it occurred to me that the amount of potassium iodide you'd need to be taking would probably be ludicrous by anyones standards to pose a risk from its potassium content...
    Last edited by Sceptic; 08-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.

From reading the prior thread, it sounded like the salt was to add sodium to help get rid of bromine displaced by the iodine. So basically it's there for detox symptoms, much like the vitamin C.
    It is not the sodium that displaces halogens, it is the chloride halogen in the salt. But considering how much salt the average person consumes and the amount of fluoride so many of us are exposed to it would be very unlike that there would be any significant amount of bromine in the body unless spending a lot of time in brominated spas, drinking a lot of Mountain Dew or taking significant amounts of bromine based medications.

Unfortunately, when people develop iodine poisoning the symptoms are too often blamed on the myth of "bromine detox". The people claiming this should look up the symptoms of bromine poisoning. Many do not fit the symptoms these people with iodine poisoning are reporting.

That said, the added salt could also be to counteract the amount of potassium in the mega doses of potassium iodide; the ratio of sodium to potassium in the body is important. Of course, I'm completely speculating here, so take this with a grain of salt ;-)

Edit: Of course, five minutes after writing that, it occurred to me that the amount of potassium iodide you'd need to be taking would probably be ludicrous by anyones standards to pose a risk from its potassium content...
    Yes, it would be tough to get to much potassium from potassium iodide supplements if taken in normal doses.
    Last edited by JamesS; 08-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.

I'm curious about the supplements as well. Following are the "required" supplements:

1/2 tsp unrefined salt
    Selenium 200 mcg
    Magnesium 400 mg
    Vitamin C 2000 mg +

I have read elsewhere (Paul Jaminet at perfecthealthdiet.com) that adequate levels of selenium are essential when supplementing iodine, but I'm not so sure about the other supplements. Obviously some level of them are required anyway (independent of iodine supplementation), and many people are likely deficient in at least a couple of them (magnesium and selenium especially). I was taking magnesium and also eating a brazil nut each day as "selenium insurance" before I ever thought about supplementing iodine.

As for the other supplements, the sea salt (NOT table salt !!! ) being required seems like bunk to me. Most people get plenty of salt, and I don't see why it needs to be sea salt anyway.
    The only time I have seen salt recommended is when people are also recommending toxic levels of iodine. Refined salt is sodium chloride, and the excess of chloride helps to displace the excess, toxic levels of iodine. Sea salt will also provide small amounts of bromine and fluoride that will also displace iodine. It is interesting to watch the iodine peddlers tell people to take toxic levels of iodine. Then when the people complain of symptoms of iodism (iodine poisoning) they blame the symptoms on a "bromine detox" then tell people to do a "salt flush". First of all the "bromine detox" thing is a myth:

The "bromine detox" myth

Secondly, the "salt flushes" simply push out the excess iodine poisoning the body. But they tell people to turn right around and take more toxic levels of iodine. They got a great scam going.

The other minerals in sea salt besides NaCl are in microscopic amounts anyway. Supposedly the vitamin C is for the "detox symptoms", but I'm not sure I buy that either.
    I agree with you. First of all the synthetic vitamin C people commonly buy in stores is very unstable, so most of what people are ingesting is not even vitamin C anymore. Furthermore, even if it were still vitamin C the body cannot utilize 2 grams or more of vitamin C in one shot. All the excess vitamin C is simply broken down in to oxalic acid, which in excess can cause other problems such as kidney stones in some individuals.
    Last edited by JamesS; 08-09-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Most likely he is including the magnesium because magnesium increases adenosine triphosphate (ATP) that fuels the cells and helps them to function properly.
    Yes but that is a general health reason to take selenium. The question was specifically irt taking it with iodine.

I don't trust anything coming from Mercola. His claims have been discredited to many times.

One thing that Mercola is overlooking though is that the iodine sources the Japanese consume such as seaweeds and ocean fish are also loaded with other halogens that help prevent iodine poisoning. Apparently Mercola is not aware that the ocean contains a lot of chloride, as well as bromine and fluoride that are picked up by seaweeds and ocean animals.

Mercola is apparently unaware of the fact that the low rate of cancer in Japan has been linked to their higher consumption of soy that contain protective phytoestrogens that also happen to counter the adverse effects of excess iodine. Mercola though sits on the board of the Weston Price Foundation who is supported by the beef and dairy industries. So Mercola is paid to bash soy, which is the biggest competitor of the beef and dairy industries.

Seaweeds are also rich in immune stimulating polysaccharides that further reduce the risk of cancer.

Iodine does have estrogen blocking effects just like phytoestrogens, but there is no evidence that estrogen causes cancer to begin with. Estrogen appears to only be a growth factor for already existing cancers.
    I agree that Mercola's claims often need to be taken with large doses of salt (haha). But I do agree with him that soy needs bashing. Mark, who gets no money from the meat industry bashes as well.

Yes, seaweeds contain arsenic. So do a lot of common foods such as brown rice and apples. Seaweeds though also contain algins that bind heavy metals helping the body to excrete them.
    Good point.

1/2 tsp unrefined salt
    Selenium 200 mcg
    Magnesium 400 mg
    Vitamin C 2000 mg +

The only time I have seen salt recommended is when people are also recommending toxic levels of iodine. Refined salt is sodium chloride, and the excess of chloride helps to displace the excess, toxic levels of iodine. Sea salt will also provide small amounts of bromine and fluoride that will also displace iodine. It is interesting to watch the iodine peddlers tell people to take toxic levels of iodine. Then when the people complain of symptoms of iodism (iodine poisoning) they blame the symptoms on a "bromine detox" then tell people to do a "salt flush". First of all the "bromine detox" thing is a myth:

The "bromine detox" myth

Secondly, the "salt flushes" simply push out the excess iodine poisoning the body. But they tell people to turn right around and take more toxic levels of iodine. They got a great scam going.
    Very true.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-09-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Most likely he is including the magnesium because magnesium increases adenosine triphosphate (ATP) that fuels the cells and helps them to function properly.
    Last edited by JamesS; 08-09-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    I tend to be pretty open to experimenting, and I was soon up to 12 mg per day using Lugol's solution. The biggest thing I noticed was that my nearly lifelong case of athlete's foot disappeared - completely.
    Now that's interesting. I too have had athlete's foot for as long as I can remember, which lead to fungal nail infection on all toes. None of the 'guaranteed to work' remedies on the net have worked, & neither did some extremely powerful drugs (Sporanox - just made me feel like shite for 6 months).

I've been taking around 12mg Lugol's per day too for the last few weeks, also for experimentation purposes, & for the last week or so my feet have been peeling like crazy. Did that happen with you? Were there any specific signs to the athlete's foot disappearing, or did it just clear up after n days/weeks?