Page 86 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 86

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    So, after sorting out all of this malarkey of going back and forth ten thousand times, what would be an appropriate amount of Iodine to take.
    James will never answer your question - he is a troll intent on confusing everyone.
    Here is your answer:
    The Guide by Dr. Buist

No matter where you look, there is conflicting information on iodine. It is the Wild, Wild, Wild West where no 2 doctors can agree on ANYTHING except that iodine is required for good health. They can't agree on the type of iodine or how much.

The answer for most of us is to follow the doctor that has done the most research for the longest period of time. This means Dr. Brownstein, a leader in the 2007 Iodine Medical Conference.
    He has successfully treated THOUSANDS of patient over the last 7 years and documented them in his research reports.

Who are "Most of Us?"
    * Yahoo Iodine Group 6.600 members with The Iodine Guide
    * Breast Cancer Choices Group 650 members
    * Curezone Group with more than a 5 year track record
    Iodine Q&A

Poor little Troll James can't shine a candle to Dr. Brownstein's medical research over the past 5+ years. Who are you going to believe.... James who has been thrown out of 2 discussion groups for being a Troll or Dr. Brownstein?
    James is just like all other trolls who delights in confusing everyone with his BS.

You people are letting James send you into mass confusion.

BTW) The file
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
    has recently seen massive restructuring & simplification to make it easier to read. Check it out.

If you want the correct answers with an honest friendly discussion to your iodine questions, go to the CureZone.
    Iodine Supplementation Support Forum by VWT Team, Page 268, Vulcanel, Wombat & Trapper/kcmo:

For Dr. Buist's latest version of The Iodine Guide, download here:
    http://steppingstonesliving.com/resources/iodine/

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 08-27-2012 at 11:08 AM.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    as for what an appropriate amount to take is, it should be evident by now that it's different for everyone
    Yes, which is exactly what was stated earlier in the thread. Funny how people can find the personal attacks so easily but cannot find answers already given. Reminds me of the people who go to the races just to watch the cars crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    My scalp broke out at under 500 mcg (can't remember the dose now) of kelp tablets, it wasn't horrendous and probably has to do with the bromides in cheap hair coloring. So everyone will be different. It is very important that you have sufficient selenium (200 mcg.) when you start taking in iodine.
    Iodine can cause breakouts on some individuals since the iodine can inflame the pores as i is excreted through the skin. This has nothing to do with bromine. Same reason milk has been known to cause acne in some individuals. The milk has high levels of iodine that inflames the pores.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps they need to start taking in iodine for the body to start detoxing the bromine.
    Except that it's possible that the 'bromine detox' is not bromine at all, it's your body responding to the massive doses of iodine you've been giving it.

How can you distinguish between 'iodine poisoning' and 'bromine detox'?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Perhaps they need to start taking in iodine for the body to start detoxing the bromine.
    The claim made by the iodine supporters is that the bromine causes these eruptions when the bromine comes in to contact with the skin as it is pushed out, which is false and easily disproven by my point. If someone is sitting in a brominated tub there are going to be exposed to higher levels of bromine than can be pushed out through the skin from a bromine detox. Yet these people are not breaking out despite the high levels of bromine. Something that can and does cause acne like breakouts though when taking large amounts of iodine is the iodine itself, which can inflame the pores leading to acne like eruptions:

Acne, Milk and the Iodine Connection - UB NewsCenter

Acne, Milk And The Iodine Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    James will never answer your question
    The question was answered a long time ago. Just because you refuse to look for the answer this does not mean it does not exist.

No matter where you look, there is conflicting information on iodine. It is the Wild, Wild, Wild West where no 2 doctors can agree on ANYTHING except that iodine is required for good health. They can't agree on the type of iodine or how much.
    And therefore there is no agreement on what is a safe amount. So even Brownstein and Abrams don't know for sure what is a safe amount. What everyone does agree on though is that iodine can have side effects and can be dangerous if excess is used. Even Brownstein discusses some of the adverse effects on his website. So side effects and dangers are not unknown, just being ignored by some just like they have ignored answers to questions already given because the answer is not what they wish to hear.

Curezone Group[/URL] with more than a 5 year track record
    They are a joke!!! Vulcanel, Wombat & Trapper are only there to sell iodine with no regards to safety. They keep telling people with iodine poisoning that their symptoms are do to bromine detox instead then tell people to do salt flushes first, which actually removes the excess, poisonous iodine. Then they tell people to take even higher amounts of iodine while continuing to do the salt flushes, which helps reduce the symptoms of iodine poisoning. What a major scam they got going!!!

And if you question the safety of iodine at all they go after you big time. Look at how they went after me for posting an article linking the iodine in milk to acne in some sensitive individuals. Wombat in particular would not let up. She wanted to make sure that I never posted any potential negative side effect of iodine again.

Funny thing is that you keep falsely referring to me as a pharmaceutical shill since I don't agree with high dose iodine. What do you think the iodine products they are selling are Grizz? Yes, they are pharmaceutical drugs. And like the pharmaceutical companies they are doing everything in their power to make sure the side effects of their drugs are not widely known no matter how many people get hurt. So the real pharmaceutical shill here is you Grizz.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    The half life of iodine in the body is over 50 days:

Biological Half life of Iodine in Normal and Athyroidic persons
    Interesting study, James. I take it you noticed that the authors were involved in nuclear medicine and the experiments were conducted in a radiation counting chamber. I did notice tidbit this under their methodology: "The counting regime for diagnostic patients was begun within a week of the initial administration of 131I with repeat counts being performed at approximately 7 day intervals; however, the regime for therapeutic patients had to commence as quickly as possible to measure the rapidly excreted iodine." 131 I is radioactive iodine - but you knew that, didn't you?
    The researchers were treating patients with radioactive iodine, which really has not a thing to do with Lugol's Solution of iodine. Short of taking a one-way trip to Fukushima Prefecture in Japan, I sincerely doubt if the average person on this thread would be able to self-treat with radioactive iodine.

[QUOTE=JamesS;938420][QUOTE=Paysan;938325]

Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post

You are assuming that a lot of these things will have bromine that we can be exposed to and that we will be exposed in significant amounts. For example, the fire retardants most commonly used in carpeting are boric acid and boric anhydride. Fire retardants for bedding are not always bromine based either, and in fact bromine based fire retardants for bedding have been on a phase out for years. As for pools, pools generally use chlorine. Bromine is sometimes used in spas. Which brings up yet another question. Why don't people using brominated spas develop the symptoms of bromism and the so-called "bromine detox?

Yes, iodism (iodine poisoning) can cause breathing difficulty. This was my earlier point about the symptoms that were being attributed to the so-called "bromine detox" were actually from the iodine poisoning. But the people who are peddling the iodine keep blaming the problem on "bromine detox" to sell even more iodine rather than admitting that the people are actually poisoning themselves with way too much iodine.
    On the forums I do frequent, one point is made over and over that you do not need to pay those high prices (hah!) for iodine. I mean, look at the exhorbitant costs- the highest I remember was $26 for 10 oz of 5% Lugols. Horrors! Youtube has several videos showing how to make your own. Somehow, I don't think those iodine docs are making much money off their most ardent supporters. OTOH, w/o personal experience, I can only speculate how much money nuclear medicine can make off radioactive iodine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Interesting study, James. I take it you noticed that the authors were involved in nuclear medicine and the experiments were conducted in a radiation counting chamber. I did notice tidbit this under their methodology: "The counting regime for diagnostic patients was begun within a week of the initial administration of 131I with repeat counts being performed at approximately 7 day intervals; however, the regime for therapeutic patients had to commence as quickly as possible to measure the rapidly excreted iodine." 131 I is radioactive iodine - but you knew that, didn't you?
    The researchers were treating patients with radioactive iodine, which really has not a thing to do with Lugol's Solution of iodine. Short of taking a one-way trip to Fukushima Prefecture in Japan, I sincerely doubt if the average person on this thread would be able to self-treat with radioactive iodine.
    I am really curious Payson, how do you propose they test for the half life of iodine in the body? Keep in mind that you would have to differentiate between the iodine already in the body and the iodine being tested for. Also keep in mind that the radioactive iodine is taken up and excreted just like the iodine in Lugol's and the iodine that potassium iodide breaks down in to. So again, how do you suggest they test for the half life of iodine in the body.

Also, I take it that you also consider the rat studies on bromine half life from Kreiger's Handbook that you posted as evidence to be invalid as well since they used radioactive methyl bromide? Or does your rule only apply to evidence you disagree with?

James, I won't get into a tit for tat argument with you. You have been at great pains to ensure everyone here knows your opinion, and where it is at odds with those who propose iodine as a partial solution to some problems. Your opinion is acceptable, as long as it doesn't denigrate another honest opinion also formed by evidence. You have been at great pains to demonize iodine and exonerate bromine. Pardon us if we got the wrong impression.

Page 86 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast