Page 81 of 91 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 909

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 81

  1. #801
    lambchop's Avatar
    lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    308
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Totally out of the blue here, I want to share my scary experience with iodine just as a warning to others.

    I have tried iodine in the past and it help my energy but always gives me extreme irritability, mild anxiety, and mild depression.

    I recently added alpha-lipoic acid and l-carnitine to my supplements and then was using iodine to treat a cold sore. Without thinking about it I consumed a pretty large dose of iodine for 3-4 days in a row. That combination sent me in to a few days of severe and horrendous anxiety and depression. I am just now coming out the worst of it after about ten days.

    The only things that saved me from going insane were that I was hopeful it was a temporary state and I had some anti-anxiety meds left over from when I used to take them before flying. I am not prone to anxiety at all and this was pretty rough.

    Please be careful with iodine. Whether that was a "detox" reaction or a weird combination thing, it was life-changing and very, very scary.
    Jammies, that must have been terrifying, sorry you went through that and I'm glad you had insight or it could have spiralled out of control. Good warning for the rest of us, thanks.

  2. #802
    anna5's Avatar
    anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    346
    Lampchop, you are absolutely correct, but it looks like you dealing with people who are not familiar with the concept "ethics."
    I didn't follow the thread, but I glanced at Elaine's comment and found it scary - NO concept of ethics and aggressive, intimidating, style of "manipulative memos." Scary. Yeah, it matters to the world whether one climbs or not. Sure. These are the people who were utterly disgusting in past ... aggressive, bigoted, bullying. I'll stop here.
    Last edited by anna5; 08-23-2012 at 04:07 AM.

  3. #803
    anna5's Avatar
    anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    346
    I raised the issue once and I think I'll return to it.
    There is a danger in this absolute focus on "my precious body" and leaders of this movement should start paying attention to the fact that there is more to life than "my perfect body."

  4. #804
    Ferti's Avatar
    Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Totally out of the blue here, I want to share my scary experience with iodine just as a warning to others.

    I have tried iodine in the past and it help my energy but always gives me extreme irritability, mild anxiety, and mild depression.

    I recently added alpha-lipoic acid and l-carnitine to my supplements and then was using iodine to treat a cold sore. Without thinking about it I consumed a pretty large dose of iodine for 3-4 days in a row. That combination sent me in to a few days of severe and horrendous anxiety and depression. I am just now coming out the worst of it after about ten days.

    The only things that saved me from going insane were that I was hopeful it was a temporary state and I had some anti-anxiety meds left over from when I used to take them before flying. I am not prone to anxiety at all and this was pretty rough.

    Please be careful with iodine. Whether that was a "detox" reaction or a weird combination thing, it was life-changing and very, very scary.
    It's not a good idea to put iodine directly on anything unless you're trying to burn it off. You shouldn't be putting it in your mouth straight up. I'm surprised you didn't burn the inside of your mouth. I didn't realize cold sores were inside the mouth, I thought they were outside on or above the lips. How much do you think was a pretty large dose? It seems odd to me that you're sensitive to iodine but managed to swallow large amounts of it straight up without giving it a thought. Iodine is truly disgusting tasting. I'm also relieved that you don't have anxiety normally but had your anxiety medication on hand. What a strange story (reminds me of tripping on acid way back when).

  5. #805
    breadsauce's Avatar
    breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    Paleo bird is a longtime member of this community. She is a cancer survivor. She is an athlete. She has climbed mountains, and travelled world wide living her life to its fullest, and appreciating her life, which she nearly lost.

    She's not better than everyone else, but she's better than many. She is knowledgeable, passionate and well spoken.

    Personally, I think she is an amazing person, a strong person and I admire her very much.

    What are your qualifications to dismiss a remarkable person, a survivor with great spirit with the desire to help others?
    This. I can't see why such a great contributor to these threads has been so vilified.

  6. #806
    RobinNM's Avatar
    RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    My qualifications? Ummm, it is my opinion, OK. One that seems to be well shared.

    I don't think what someone has survived or what they do with their spare time is relevant. A rude annoying person is a rude annoying person, cancer survivor or not. I think she is offensive and I prefer my experience on this forum with her on ignore. Simple as that.
    Then why do you keep bringing her up so you can insult her again? I'm only being slighly snarky when I ask that question. You have a very definite opinion about someone. I don't agree with it, but I respect other people's opinions. What I don't understand, however, is the overwhelming need for some people on this forum who are theoretically adults to use demeaning terms when referring to a poster they don't agree with and who feel the need to take "sides."

    If you don't agree with someone, do as you claim that you have done and ignore them. Don't continue to bring that poster's name up ad nauseum and continue to bash them and reiterate over and over again how annoying you find them. Just ignore them.

  7. #807
    JEL62's Avatar
    JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    178
    This type of thread is why I only check in on these forums every few months or so. The arguments are always the same, the players are always the same, the threads are always the same. Thank god I pretty much never let what anyone says here guide my diet. The CW community is tame by comparison.

  8. #808
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    It's not a good idea to put iodine directly on anything unless you're trying to burn it off. You shouldn't be putting it in your mouth straight up. I'm surprised you didn't burn the inside of your mouth. I didn't realize cold sores were inside the mouth, I thought they were outside on or above the lips. How much do you think was a pretty large dose? It seems odd to me that you're sensitive to iodine but managed to swallow large amounts of it straight up without giving it a thought. Iodine is truly disgusting tasting. I'm also relieved that you don't have anxiety normally but had your anxiety medication on hand. What a strange story (reminds me of tripping on acid way back when).
    I used to have flight anxiety. That's really the only time I had any issues. It's not that uncommon. So I had an old prescription around the house.

    I also didn't think about how much iodine I was swallowing because I was thinking of it as "topical" use. It was very bitter, but not a big deal at all. The cold sore was on the outside of my lip, but because I didn't want to stain my lip iodine colored I was putting it on the inside behind the cold sore. I had read about this online, it wasn't something I came up with on my own.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  9. #809
    ljbprrfmof's Avatar
    ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Posts
    366
    (reminds me of tripping on acid way back when)
    You never . . .??!!

    Although, my wife reports having a mailbox talk to her.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

  10. #810
    Ferti's Avatar
    Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I used to have flight anxiety. That's really the only time I had any issues. It's not that uncommon. So I had an old prescription around the house.

    I also didn't think about how much iodine I was swallowing because I was thinking of it as "topical" use. It was very bitter, but not a big deal at all. The cold sore was on the outside of my lip, but because I didn't want to stain my lip iodine colored I was putting it on the inside behind the cold sore. I had read about this online, it wasn't something I came up with on my own.
    What happened to the cold sore?

Page 81 of 91 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •