Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 80

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The receptors looking for iodine but will take bromine instead - does that work the same with the other halogens? We need iodine and chloride but do we need fluoride or bromide? Perhaps because the body uses both iodine/iodide and chloride it can distinguish them apart and use them properly.

I also wonder how well we are digesting seaweed. You need to have particular bacteria in the gut to digest it. If you don't have the ability to digest it do you still get the other nutrients and just not the carb digestion?
    Gut Bacteria Give Super Seaweed-Digestion Power to Japanese | Wired Science | Wired.com

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    On another note I'm planning on putting some Lugol's in my chicken's watering can, not megadosing, just enough to keep the water clean and I'm assuming some benefit to the chicken and perhaps the egg eaters as well.

Hoss2626 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Halogens, like elemental metals, have differing levels of reactivity. Higher reactivity elements displace lower reactivity elements. Of the common halogens fluorine is the most reactive. Then comes chlorine, then bromine and finally the least reactive of the halogens, which is iodine:

And I have yet to hear anyone explain how a bromine detox can occur when bromine is readily excreted from the body on its own.
    Yes that is the question that I also had. I am not dismissing it entirely however, as I saw a link to a study that measured bromine excretion in the urine. The amount of bromine went up with Iodine supplementation. So the why isn't necessary if the what is documented. I am too lazy to find the study though...

Paysan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss2626 View Post
    Yes that is the question that I also had. I am not dismissing it entirely however, as I saw a link to a study that measured bromine excretion in the urine. The amount of bromine went up with Iodine supplementation. So the why isn't necessary if the what is documented. I am too lazy to find the study though...
    This one? Handbook of Pesticide Toxicology by Kreiger. Page 1846 discusses that intracellular bromine is excreted very slowly and lasted about 5 days with no further intake. The kidneys and liver held the highest concentrations, the blood the lowest. My slowly evolving opinion is that because iodine is excreted relatively quickly, it takes a lot of iodine over that 5 days to oust the more persistent bromine. IOW, once it settles in your tissues, bromine is a star boarder and can be evicted only with difficulty.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    Unbiased observer - paleobird was rude and obnoxious from the get go. She seems to think she is better than everyone else, god knows why. My experience on this board is MUCH better since I hit ignore. Does she really think we are dying to hear her input on everything? On the other hand, I appreciate JamesS' research and hearing the input from others' on this board without her screaming in on everything.
    Paleo bird is a longtime member of this community. She is a cancer survivor. She is an athlete. She has climbed mountains, and travelled world wide living her life to its fullest, and appreciating her life, which she nearly lost.

She's not better than everyone else, but she's better than many. She is knowledgeable, passionate and well spoken.

Personally, I think she is an amazing person, a strong person and I admire her very much.

What are your qualifications to dismiss a remarkable person, a survivor with great spirit with the desire to help others?
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Totally out of the blue here, I want to share my scary experience with iodine just as a warning to others.

I have tried iodine in the past and it help my energy but always gives me extreme irritability, mild anxiety, and mild depression.

I recently added alpha-lipoic acid and l-carnitine to my supplements and then was using iodine to treat a cold sore. Without thinking about it I consumed a pretty large dose of iodine for 3-4 days in a row. That combination sent me in to a few days of severe and horrendous anxiety and depression. I am just now coming out the worst of it after about ten days.

The only things that saved me from going insane were that I was hopeful it was a temporary state and I had some anti-anxiety meds left over from when I used to take them before flying. I am not prone to anxiety at all and this was pretty rough.

Please be careful with iodine. Whether that was a "detox" reaction or a weird combination thing, it was life-changing and very, very scary.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Totally out of the blue here, I want to share my scary experience with iodine just as a warning to others.

I have tried iodine in the past and it help my energy but always gives me extreme irritability, mild anxiety, and mild depression.

I recently added alpha-lipoic acid and l-carnitine to my supplements and then was using iodine to treat a cold sore. Without thinking about it I consumed a pretty large dose of iodine for 3-4 days in a row. That combination sent me in to a few days of severe and horrendous anxiety and depression. I am just now coming out the worst of it after about ten days.

The only things that saved me from going insane were that I was hopeful it was a temporary state and I had some anti-anxiety meds left over from when I used to take them before flying. I am not prone to anxiety at all and this was pretty rough.

Please be careful with iodine. Whether that was a "detox" reaction or a weird combination thing, it was life-changing and very, very scary.
    Oh my goodness. That is scary, Jammies. I'm glad you're ok now.
    Yes, iodine is essential but it is not something to be taken lightly.
    It's nice of you to share such a personal story with everyone here. Hopefully someone else won't have to go through that too.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh my goodness. That is scary, Jammies. I'm glad you're ok now.
    Yes, iodine is essential but it is not something to be taken lightly.
    It's nice of you to share such a personal story with everyone here. Hopefully someone else won't have to go through that too.
    The really stupid thing about it is that I know I don't react well to even pretty low dose iodine. But I was putting it on the inside of my lip in large quantities - for some reason it didn't register with me that I was swallowing buckets of it!

Oy vey - live and learn. Yes, I hope someone who is trying iodine will at least keep in mind that if they start to feel odd they should be careful.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post

I know people were joking in the other thread about high levels of iodine causing paranoia as an explanation for some of the stuff Grizz & t2t came out with. A case of 'many a true word said in jest'? If it can have a large effect on your mental state, which appears to be the case from what you've said, it could certainly explain a lot of the insanity seen over at Curezone.

I see posts like this: iodine, what I have been through at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1977223) and have to wonder what the hell is up with people. He/she knows the iodine has been causing all sorts of problems for 3 years, yet is still determined to keep increasing the dosage? Madness.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    Paleo bird is a longtime member of this community. She is a cancer survivor. She is an athlete. She has climbed mountains, and travelled world wide living her life to its fullest, and appreciating her life, which she nearly lost.

She's not better than everyone else, but she's better than many. She is knowledgeable, passionate and well spoken.

Personally, I think she is an amazing person, a strong person and I admire her very much.

What are your qualifications to dismiss a remarkable person, a survivor with great spirit with the desire to help others?
    My qualifications? Ummm, it is my opinion, OK. One that seems to be well shared.

I don't think what someone has survived or what they do with their spare time is relevant. A rude annoying person is a rude annoying person, cancer survivor or not. I think she is offensive and I prefer my experience on this forum with her on ignore. Simple as that.

Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast