Page 77 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 77

Sceptic is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by organicsteve View Post
    everyone agrees about the temporary shutdown mechanism of the thyroid to the presence of excess iodine available in serum. this level of exposure is achieved in a nuclear emergency with 130mg of iodine for an adult. now i dont care if youre an evolutionist or a creationist, there can be only one reason for such a mechanism - exposure to iodine levels above 130mg a day in nature.
    That turns out not to be the case. You're assuming the whole 130mg is necessary for that shutdown effect. And it may be an extreme result of a process that's actually evolved to protect against lower levels of excess iodine, anyway.
    Argue not with idiots, lest they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Now how about some "discussion and civilized debate"??
    If not, can you guys wait about a half hour before you continue?
    Kind of was back on track?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by organicsteve View Post
    everyone agrees about the temporary shutdown mechanism of the thyroid to the presence of excess iodine available in serum. this level of exposure is achieved in a nuclear emergency with 130mg of iodine for an adult. now i dont care if youre an evolutionist or a creationist, there can be only one reason for such a mechanism - exposure to iodine levels above 130mg a day in nature.

good luck to you all.
    Just had another search around regarding the Iodine blocking effect, this abstract describes some of the issues in more detail:
    Iodine-Induced hypothyroidism. [Thyroid. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

Seems the effect only lasts a few days in most people until the Thyroid adapts to the higher levels, but in some it may trigger a cascade that could result in permanent Hypothyroidism.

Hoss2626 is offline Junior Member
    Wow it got quiet around here. I am wondering if certain parties have been warned/suspended or something? Maybe the discussion will be more pleasant (if not as amusing.)

An update from me: I was titrating up and taking around 30mg of Iodine and feeling just fine. However, James' questions about the whole Bromine poisoning falsity and questioning how Iodine would displace Bromine when it really happens the other way around (which was a question I also had) have caused me to lower my dose back down to 5mg (2 drops 2% Lugols). I feel this is definitely a safe amount.

Not sure I agree with the whole Iodine poison thing at 100mg (seems too low an amount to create an issue unless you have an underlying condition), but I am happy at my 5mg for now.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss2626 View Post
    Wow it got quiet around here. I am wondering if certain parties have been warned/suspended or something? Maybe the discussion will be more pleasant (if not as amusing.)
    The battle has moved to the "Soy" thread.

I haven't done any Iodine because I ran out and need to make my own. Just need the distilled water now.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Wow it got quiet around here.
    I mocked them.
    I grew tired of checking occasionally the last page and seeing always some nonsense which of course prevented me from going back and actually reading some possibly useful comments.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    I mocked them.
    I grew tired of checking occasionally the last page and seeing always some nonsense which of course prevented me from going back and actually reading some possibly useful comments.
    I got bored of reading all the stupid off topic comments so went off to get other things done.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    It's rather impossible to say, Bosnic, because natural foods vary according to season, amount of sunlight, etc and from day to day in iodine content. Lugol's solution has been standardized to contain no more nor any less than stated. But, in general, your estimate may be right. I'd go for the 2% myself, as it's much more controllable in dosage, then eat seaweeds as and when.

Paysan is offline Senior Member

An update from me: I was titrating up and taking around 30mg of Iodine and feeling just fine. However, James' questions about the whole Bromine poisoning falsity and questioning how Iodine would displace Bromine when it really happens the other way around (which was a question I also had) have caused me to lower my dose back down to 5mg (2 drops 2% Lugols). I feel this is definitely a safe amount.

Not sure I agree with the whole Iodine poison thing at 100mg (seems too low an amount to create an issue unless you have an underlying condition), but I am happy at my 5mg for now.
    I have watched on other threads as people with extreme health issues are giving credit to megadoses of iodine for their return to health. Did they have reactions? Yes, mostly they did. But they broke through the reactions by upping their dosages, which seems counter-intuitive to me. So now I've started back on 4 drops of 2% Lugol's daily (along with companion nutrients) and haven't decided what I'll do with my next reaction. But I am still puzzled by my developing a bowel infection AFTER I cut the iodine. AS the infection still gives twinges after the CW meds, I am going with megadoses of Vit C buffered, oil of oregano, and a minimum of 4 drops iodine daily, and will probably up it in future, as this is considered very low dose - about 10 mg.

Hoss2626 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    I have watched on other threads as people with extreme health issues are giving credit to megadoses of iodine for their return to health. Did they have reactions? Yes, mostly they did. But they broke through the reactions by upping their dosages, which seems counter-intuitive to me. So now I've started back on 4 drops of 2% Lugol's daily (along with companion nutrients) and haven't decided what I'll do with my next reaction. But I am still puzzled by my developing a bowel infection AFTER I cut the iodine. AS the infection still gives twinges after the CW meds, I am going with megadoses of Vit C buffered, oil of oregano, and a minimum of 4 drops iodine daily, and will probably up it in future, as this is considered very low dose - about 10 mg.
    The infection could just be bad timing. A guy here at work got sick recently and ended up with a stomach infection that lasted 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Hoss2626; 08-21-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Page 77 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast