Page 74 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 74

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Thanks. Any suggestion how to talk to the doc to make him prescribe it?
    I would simply tell the doctor that this is what I want. The patient should have some say in how they decide to treat their condition as long as it is not detrimental.

But there are some things that could be barriers. For example, an insurance company may not be willing to pay for it. And as I mentioned previously HMOs can especially be a problem. HMO doctors are not only paid to not perform various needed tests, but they also have an "approved prescription list". In other words the HMO doctors are only allowed to prescribe drugs that the HMO is invested in to or get kickbacks from the drug companies for. Otherwise, if you insist there should not be a problem with most doctors. You can always use the explanation given before about the T4 and T3 if the doctor wants to know why.

Thanks.
    Which one is the best to start with Armour, Nature-Throid, Cytomel, or Cynomel?
    She is making an appointment with a different doctor. What tests should she ask to have done?
    I recommend the Nature-Throid.

Even though the thyroid was removed they still have to monitor thyroid hormone levels to see how the hormones are being utilized and they have to watch serum calcium levels since excess thyroid hormone levels can lead to bone breakdown. These will primarily be as the patient has been on the drug, but they will likely do these tests before hand just as a baseline to begin with and to make sure that calcium is not already elevated from something else like hyperparathyroidism or pseudohyperparathyroidism.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    As for the rash I recommend quercetin. Not the QBC (quercetin, bromelain and C) but straight quercetin 400-500mg. It is getting harder to find straight sine it has gotten so expensive so it usually combined with bromelain and sometimes vitamin C, which in my opinion are pretty much cheap fillers.

Anyway, quercetin is a bioflavonoid commercially derived from yellow onion skins. It is an extremely effective antihistamine. I recommend 1 capsule on an empty stomach as needed.

As for the itchy spot, what did it look like before? Flat or raised? Smooth, crusty or flaky? Round or irregular? Any color?
    The itchy spot was pink/red, raised, irregular. It was smooth before he started scratching it a lot and then it became crusty. It looked like yellow substance was coming out of it and it seemed like that as it was drying it was forming a crust. That's when he went to see a doctor and the doc gave him a steroid injection in that spot and put him on antibiotic to kill the infection. After the steroid injection he got a rash all over. BTW, he tried Benadryl to relieve the itch and it did nothing for him.
    I am off to find quercetin. Thank you.
    Last edited by KathyH; 08-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Yes, a journal is another thread, it is not private, it is not like your own home Paleobird. If you slink off there to defame someone, they have the right to respond. It is a public forum and none of the threads are invitation only.
    Geez this thread was running smoothly with lots of great information before Grizz and Paleobird came back!
    I didn't slink anywhere. Defending indefensibly rude behavior is pointless. And, yes the thread was running smoothly but then again, Mussolini made the trains run on time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    When I first popped in on the first Iodine thread and Grizz and Paleobird were at it worse than my teen sons and I asked who was worse you would not believe the number of PMs from members saying how Paleobird thinks she runs the forum and is rude and smug and patronizing. More than a few said she drove a number of older members away. I can see why.
    How many and who exactly? Even if I am rude and condescending (which I fully agree I can be to ignorant jerks), I'm certainly not the only one on this board, yet it's all my fault some unspecified person left?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    yes, whaa whaa whaa the mean person made me leave
    instead of just putting mean person on ignore
    we get it, paleobird's magic power is knocking the others off the perch
    I wave a feather and they just drop off.

Once again you have everything wrong. First of all if someone is going to post an outright lie about me just because they got their ass whooped by real evidence and they were unhappy about it then it does not matter where that post is. I have every right to respond to their lie. You keep referring to everyone having a screw loose, but your constant lies and insults just proves to everyone who really has the loose screw. If you cannot figure out who that is take a long hard look in the mirror.

As an example of the above you state "You don't go into someone's home uninvited and unleash a multi page tirade at them.". One post is a "multi page tirade"? Are you really that much of a complete moron or just a chronic liar? Please let me me know which one it is so we all know how to properly refer to you.

Don't worry, I have no interest in Grizz. As I pointed out earlier he is not my type and you two have so much in common. Neither of you can tell the truth if your lives depend on it and both of you think posting lies and insults in every post is an Olympic sport and the two of you are competing for the gold.

Why don't you do everyone a favor and check out of this thread as you claimed you were doing earlier? Oh, that's right you are incapable of telling the truth.
    It was one post that was so long it had to be split into a multi post multi page tirade and I didn't lie about you. I expressed my opinion about you. I didn't tell people you mutilate kittens for fun, that would be lying. I said I thought you were unhinged. Opinion=/=truth or lies, just opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Why does she get magical powers and I don't? Life isn't fair.
    You are already magical, Pandapants.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I think the real secret magic that some of these fine folks aren't telling the Panda is that they are taking the Iodine supplements... but also SKIPPING the Lithium supplements.

Here, let's see if we can get this thread back on topic:
    Iodine-Induced hypothyroidism.
    [Hypothyroidism related to excess iodine].
    It's terrible when someone you've just called a moron agrees with you about the actual topic at hand isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
    Please try to keep things civil and avoid personal attacks, even if they're responses to perceived attacks. I'm finding your posts quite interesting in general where they don't devolve into pointless arguments with two or three others.

Incidentally, Paleobird had a good point earlier about how some of this is getting quite off the topic of iodine. Perhaps you could start another thread about herbal remedies or some such for the non-iodine-related discussions? I doubt that I'd be the only one here who would follow it too
    A very good suggestion.

Presse Med. 2002 Oct 26;31(35):1658-63.
    [Adaptation of thyroid function to excess iodine].
    Darn, the "moron" agrees with you yet again.

Thyroid. 2001 May;11(5):493-500.
    Iodine excess and hyperthyroidism.
    And again.

Presse Med. 2002 Oct 26;31(35):1664-9.
    [Hyperthyroidism due to excess iodine].
    And again.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    FFS. James, I respect your posts. I don't respect those of Grizz. You blur the distinction between you and Grizz in the minds of others such as myself when you repeatedly debate him. Just ignore him.

Also, enough with accusing every post you think is misrepresenting you as 'lying'. Otherwise that word will take on the same meaning as 'trolling' within the iodine thread
    Grizz does the same thing. Accuses everyone of LYING instead of just being wrong. It gets old I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I did post this here, but I didn't give the abstract. Interesting take in that it may not be a deficiency in iodine so much as an overabundance of carbohydrate in the modern diet that leads to insufficiency. Found it interesting: Elsevier

Abstract

An increased iodine requirement as a result of significant changes in human nutrition rather than a decreased environmental iodine supply is suggested to represent the main cause of the iodine deficiency disorders (IDD). The pathomechanism proposed is based on the fact that serum concentrations of thyroid hormones, especially of trijodothyronine (T3), are dependent on the amount of dietary carbohydrate. High-carbohydrate diets are associated with significantly higher serum T3 concentrations, compared with very low-carbohydrate diets. While our Paleolithic ancestors subsisted on a very low carbohydrate/high protein diet, the agricultural revolution about 10,000 years ago brought about a significant increase in dietary carbohydrate. These nutritional changes have increased T3 levels significantly. Higher T3 levels are associated with an enhanced T3 production and an increased iodine requirement. The higher iodine requirement exceeds the availability of iodine from environmental sources in many regions of the world, resulting in the development of IDD.
    This is a very interesting contribution of substance to this thread. Neckhammer, what were you thinking?

I recommend the Nature-Throid.

Even though the thyroid was removed they still have to monitor thyroid hormone levels to see how the hormones are being utilized and they have to watch serum calcium levels since excess thyroid hormone levels can lead to bone breakdown. These will primarily be as the patient has been on the drug, but they will likely do these tests before hand just as a baseline to begin with and to make sure that calcium is not already elevated from something else like hyperparathyroidism or pseudohyperparathyroidism.
    I am not sure if this is the same as having thyroid gland removed but basically she took nuclear medicine to stop the thyroid gland functioning. I will ask her doctor for Nature-Throid. Thank you

The itchy spot was pink/red, raised, irregular. It was smooth before he started scratching it a lot and then it became crusty. It looked like yellow substance was coming out of it and it seemed like that as it was drying it was forming a crust. That's when he went to see a doctor and the doc gave him a steroid injection in that spot and put him on antibiotic to kill the infection. After the steroid injection he got a rash all over. BTW, he tried Benadryl to relieve the itch and it did nothing for him.
    I am off to find quercetin. Thank you.
    That narrows down a number of disorders, but the description still fits a few such as scabies, eczema or some other form of dermatitis. Did the doctor give an actual diagnosis?

I am not sure if this is the same as having thyroid gland removed but basically she took nuclear medicine to stop the thyroid gland functioning. I will ask her doctor for Nature-Throid. Thank you
    That would be radioactive iodine to destroy the thyroid. It does not always destroy 100% of the thyroid though.

That narrows down a number of disorders, but the description still fits a few such as scabies, eczema or some other form of dermatitis. Did the doctor give an actual diagnosis?
    The doc took a skin culture and found some staph for which he gave an antibiotic (keflax 500mg for 10 days). I am not sure if the culture test included antest for scabies. The worse spots are the ones where tbe topical hydrocortizone 2.5 has been applied. These are the most inflamed and itchy areas. He did not give a diagnosis yet as he still wangs to do skin biopsy and a skin patch test. That is scheduled weeks away but the for now the stinging/itching sensation continues. The areas one the face that came out 2 days ago sort of look swallen. He gave him Sarna lotion to relieve the itch but that made things worse. Cetaphil relieves itch for 2min.
    Last edited by KathyH; 08-19-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks.
    Which one is the best to start with Armour, Nature-Throid, Cytomel, or Cynomel?
    She is making an appointment with a different doctor. What tests should she ask to have done?
    Kathy, exactly what your mom needs to take depends on what the findings are of those tests Maile listed. Since it doesn't look like Synthroid is doing the job, she may need to take Nature-Throid or similar, or a combo of that and T3 only med, like I am taking. BTW, I mistakenly listed Cytomel and Cynomel under NDT in my last post, which I corrected. They are T3 only meds.
    Here's a list of all NDT: Options for thyroid treatment | Stop The Thyroid Madness

The first step is finding a doctor who knows what he's doing with thyroids - so many of them don't. Here's a site for thyroid docs that others have recommended, by state: http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/
    That's how I found mine.

You could also ask a local pharmacy for the names of some doctors who prescribe Armour or Nature-Throid, those docs will also be more likely to do all of the necessary tests.
    Last edited by Owl; 08-19-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    JamesS, Paleobird: I actually started a Soy thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post932840

You both have mentioned it here and I didn't want to interrupt the thread. I'd welcome input there.

Page 74 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast