Page 73 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 73

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am here to do the right thing. This thread (poor and neglected) definitely needs some push.
    Last edited by anna5; 08-19-2012 at 04:30 AM.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Since the thyroid was removed they have no other choice other than to take pharmaceutical thyroid hormones. But I would go with Armour over Synthroid since it at least provides T4 and the more biologically active T3. Synthroid is only the less active T4.

As for the high cholesterol my main suggestions would be bitters and lecithin. The bitters help the liver process cholesterol more efficiently. Lecithin is a fat emulsifier and keeps cholesterol in solution and promotes its excretion. Fish oils will help increase HDL, which in turn lowers LDL. I also like sterol rich plants. Sterols have a very high affinity for cholesterol and tightly bind to it. Sterols will bind the cholesterol from diet and will bind to the cholesterol released in to the intestines in bile. The binding prevents the reabsorption of the cholesterol. Various plants contain sterols. The highest source I have found though is Gynostemma (jiaogulan). Food wise olive oil is a source and seeds have a fair amount. Here is more information:

Dietary Plant Sterols and Cholesterol Metabolism

Plant Sterols and Stanols for Helping High Cholesterol

Inverse relation between dietary intake of naturally occurring plant sterols and serum cholesterol in northern Sweden

Since hypothyroidism also increases inflammatory homocysteine increasing the risk of heart disease I also recommend trimethylglycine (TMG) to keep the homocysteine levels down.
    Thank you James. Doing a quick google search it seems lots of people feel better taking Armour but it is very hard to get a doctor to prescribe it. Thank you for the info on lecithins and sterols. I will suggest to her increasing foods that contain lecithins and sterol.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    FFS. James, I respect your posts. I don't respect those of Grizz. You blur the distinction between you and Grizz in the minds of others such as myself when you repeatedly debate him. Just ignore him.

Also, enough with accusing every post you think is misrepresenting you as 'lying'. Otherwise that word will take on the same meaning as 'trolling' within the iodine thread.

If there's something that you think is wrong, just say that and move on. I'd say that continuing to argue would cause the thread to degenerate but quite frankly, it's hard for Iodine on MDA to sink lower than it has already.
    For the most part I have been ignoring his posts. That is mainly because he was asking the same question over and over that had already been answered. But it is hard just to sit back while someone deliberately posts repeated lies about you because they have no clue what they are talking about so this becomes their last resort since they cannot debate the evidence. It is very irritating though when he keeps resorting to a bogus e-mail from IndiaDivine that has nothing to do with the topic, this site, or anything else. It is just dirt he can throw. Yet he has yet to say how it was I contacted anyone as the e-mail claims when I had no access to anyone's e-mail addresses unless they wrote me first showing the e-mail was fabricated.

Regardless I have tried to get the discussion back on track by asking to get back on topic and posting some studies for discussion. But the thread has still degenerated because some people are more interested in discussing their underwear or lack of instead of iodine. That's something I really don't understand. If they are not here to contribute to the actual topic then why do they even bother coming here? They should go start a "Is wearing underwear primal or not?" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Thank you James. Doing a quick google search it seems lots of people feel better taking Armour but it is very hard to get a doctor to prescribe it.
    Yes, it is hard to get doctors to prescribe it. I think they are reluctant because the hormone levels are not standardized and thus more variable. On the other hand most of the thyroid medications are only T4, which is much less biologically active than T3. T4 can normally be converted in to T3, but this is dependent on properly functioning adrenal glands, which most people crash with things like caffeine, nicotine and chronic stress.

There is also a T3 available, but I have only known about 2 people who ever had it prescribed in conjunction with T4.

James, I am have a question for you to see if you have any suggestions. My husband had an itchy spot on the back of his head that he kept scratching and it was very red. Went to the doc and got dismissed and told to just stop scratching. Well he couldn't control the itch so he kept scratching to the point that it got infected. Wen back to the doc and they injected steroid into the spot and then few days later he broke up in a rash all over the body, scalp, face, arms, chest and buttocks. THis was 2 weeks ago and the rash is not going away and doc doesn't know what it is. He was given numerous creams, lotions etc but nothing helps. Do you have any suggestions at all what he might try? He can't sleep at night any more.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Yes, it is hard to get doctors to prescribe it. I think they are reluctant because the hormone levels are not standardized and thus more variable. On the other hand most of the thyroid medications are only T4, which is much less biologically active than T3. T4 can normally be converted in to T3, but this is dependent on properly functioning adrenal glands, which most people crash with things like caffeine, nicotine and chronic stress.

There is also a T3 available, but I have only known about 2 people who ever had it prescribed in conjunction with T4.
    Thanks. Any suggestion how to talk to the doc to make him prescribe it?

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Synthroid is T4 only, if your mom is not converting it to T3 well, or converting it to Reverse T3, then it's not doing much for her. A natural dessicated thyroid like Armour, Nature-Throid, Cytomel, or Cynomel is better. Armour reformulated theirs a few years ago, putting binders in that prevent absorption. My doc won't recommend it. I'm on a combo of Nature-Throid and a T3 only med, because of a RT3 problem.

The main problem is getting your mom to a doctor who won't go just by TSH and T4 test levels, which is how most endos operate. TSH is a hormone the pituitary makes, to tell the thyroid to make more thyroid hormone. Your mom has no thyroid and is on meds, so TSH cannot be relied upon.

Total T4 is the other test normally used. It shows how much total T4 the Synthroid is putting in her system, but she needs to test Free T4, which is the T4 that's unbound and available for her body to actually use. She also needs to test Free T3, to see how well it's being converted. Reverse T3 is also a problem for many people. Sometimes the T4 is converted to RT3, and that blocks T3 from being used by the body.

The high cholesterol may come down dramatically when she gets treated correctly for hypothyroidism. Colleen Coble, who's a member here, had her husband's cholesterol drop 100 points when his hypothyroidism was treated.

Go to this site and read up on thyroid. It's good for basics: Thyroid Mistreatment, Hypothyroidism Scandals, and Thyroid Treatment Problems | Stop The Thyroid Madness
    Thanks.
    Which one is the best to start with Armour, Nature-Throid, Cytomel, or Cynomel?
    She is making an appointment with a different doctor. What tests should she ask to have done?

maile1 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks.
    Which one is the best to start with Armour, Nature-Throid, Cytomel, or Cynomel?
    She is making an appointment with a different doctor. What tests should she ask to have done?
    TSH, FT4, Ft3, Rt3, TPO antibodies

what she should start with will depend on the results of the testing.
    check out the link Owl gave you it`s a very good primer on thyroid and includes suggested testing and types of thyroid meds

James, I am have a question for you to see if you have any suggestions. My husband had an itchy spot on the back of his head that he kept scratching and it was very red. Went to the doc and got dismissed and told to just stop scratching. Well he couldn't control the itch so he kept scratching to the point that it got infected. Wen back to the doc and they injected steroid into the spot and then few days later he broke up in a rash all over the body, scalp, face, arms, chest and buttocks. THis was 2 weeks ago and the rash is not going away and doc doesn't know what it is. He was given numerous creams, lotions etc but nothing helps. Do you have any suggestions at all what he might try? He can't sleep at night any more.
    As for the rash I recommend quercetin. Not the QBC (quercetin, bromelain and C) but straight quercetin 400-500mg. It is getting harder to find straight sine it has gotten so expensive so it usually combined with bromelain and sometimes vitamin C, which in my opinion are pretty much cheap fillers.

Anyway, quercetin is a bioflavonoid commercially derived from yellow onion skins. It is an extremely effective antihistamine. I recommend 1 capsule on an empty stomach as needed.

As for the itchy spot, what did it look like before? Flat or raised? Smooth, crusty or flaky? Round or irregular? Any color?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did post this here, but I didn't give the abstract. Interesting take in that it may not be a deficiency in iodine so much as an overabundance of carbohydrate in the modern diet that leads to insufficiency. Found it interesting: Elsevier

Abstract

An increased iodine requirement as a result of significant changes in human nutrition rather than a decreased environmental iodine supply is suggested to represent the main cause of the iodine deficiency disorders (IDD). The pathomechanism proposed is based on the fact that serum concentrations of thyroid hormones, especially of trijodothyronine (T3), are dependent on the amount of dietary carbohydrate. High-carbohydrate diets are associated with significantly higher serum T3 concentrations, compared with very low-carbohydrate diets. While our Paleolithic ancestors subsisted on a very low carbohydrate/high protein diet, the agricultural revolution about 10,000 years ago brought about a significant increase in dietary carbohydrate. These nutritional changes have increased T3 levels significantly. Higher T3 levels are associated with an enhanced T3 production and an increased iodine requirement. The higher iodine requirement exceeds the availability of iodine from environmental sources in many regions of the world, resulting in the development of IDD.

Page 73 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast